Ancestry vs Myheritage

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have gotten as far as I can in Ancestry.com. I have been working on this project on/off for a few years. It has been an incredible ride but I am stuck right now.

I was wondering if Myheritage has better document access?

Hessian

Been a Myheritage member for 4+ years...we are at 229/year AND...it seem that that still isn't enough. They keep plenty behind another "monthly pay" level. So...it is frustrating.
I have 1600+ member posted and hundreds of hours of work. The smart matches are very helpful and sharing of lines & photos....but that extra fee really bugs me.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I got an amazing amount of research under my belt already and it may be a pipe dream to go past one of my 3rd great grandfather's on my dad's side but I though I would try again. There just doesn't seem to be anything new. Amazing, I can go all the way back to England in the 1500's on one branch of my family tree. This is the same branch that links my father and my husband's mother as being related. That was unexpected. :ohwell:

SamSpade

I got an amazing amount of research under my belt already and it may be a pipe dream to go past one of my 3rd great grandfather's on my dad's side but I though I would try again. There just doesn't seem to be anything new. Amazing, I can go all the way back to England in the 1500's on one branch of my family tree. This is the same branch that links my father and my husband's mother as being related. That was unexpected. :ohwell:

I have had similar luck, and I've given up. I can't even get back as far as my Dad's - who was adopted - biological parents. I really hoped Ancestry DNA would reveal SOMETHING - but only a little. I have found about six or seven people related through - SOMEONE - and clearly on my Dad's side. But none of them are online anymore, and those I've discussed with - no news in years.

There's of course, also, the wondering if the DNA searches might reveal - unknown OFFSPRING.

Tech

Have been able to go back to them all immigrating here. Tough to do since not all used the same anglicized spelling of name, not to mention officials misspelling it.

Have you uploaded your DNA to GEDMATCH to see if you can get closer matches? I also recommend joining AncestryDNA Matching facebook group. They have just started a new Ancestry Project called ADM Genealogists in GEDMATCH but you must be a member of their facebook group. You might have better luck with finding relatives who might have documentation on your family from this group since they are actively doing research on their ancestors.

glhs837

Power with Control

Funny, isn't it. I can take quite few branches back to the 1700s, parts of my mother's literally to the 1300s. But my surname, I hit a wall in 1843 I can't breach. My great grandfathers father is listed only as unknown and the surname. Evidently he died not long after my GG was born and his mother remarried. Compounding the problem is that they were Tennessee valley people and there was a huge disruption in records when they moved a lot of cemeteries in preparation for the TVA dams. Grainy photos of inexpensive headstones with hastily scribbled descriptions of where they came from and where they went.

Tech

Helped a cousin on Ancestry I found. She hit a wall on her great grandfather. He and siblings were place in orphanages, because of this my uncle reconnected to a cousin he hadn't seen for decades. In another search, found out the a distant cousin of wife has a NASA building named after him.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Funny, isn't it. I can take quite few branches back to the 1700s, parts of my mother's literally to the 1300s. But my surname, I hit a wall in 1843 I can't breach. My great grandfathers father is listed only as unknown and the surname. Evidently he died not long after my GG was born and his mother remarried. Compounding the problem is that they were Tennessee valley people and there was a huge disruption in records when they moved a lot of cemeteries in preparation for the TVA dams. Grainy photos of inexpensive headstones with hastily scribbled descriptions of where they came from and where they went.

I am stuck on a great great grandfather who came to the US in 1850. He worked at a bakery for 4 years and he is on the census after that as "illegal alien."

It is also my surname and my father's DNA doesn't match any of the others with the same last name. I think he picked the last name out of thin air and fled from either Prussia or Germany.

I have my dad's DNA in the system so hopefully we will end up with a hit.

I can go all the way back on so many branches even to Ireland, England, etc. but him, stuck....

Tech

I am stuck on a great great grandfather who came to the US in 1850. He worked at a bakery for 4 years and he is on the census after that as "illegal alien."

It is also my surname and my father's DNA doesn't match any of the others with the same last name. I think he picked the last name out of thin air and fled from either Prussia or Germany.

I can go all the way back on so many branches even to Ireland, England, etc. but him, stuck....
One problem I had going back was one of the great great had the same name has the guy next door, even the wives names were the same. The name was so common that the city directory showed two more on the block and a few around the block with none related.

Grumpy

One problem I had going back was one of the great great had the same name has the guy next door, even the wives names were the same. The name was so common that the city directory showed two more on the block and a few around the block with none related.
They live in Rock Ridge?

Hessian

Die Maus is a German archive that helped kick down some huge walls when I visited 15 years ago. Their on-line search was helpful too. There may be other links to "suche"--I believe that a sizable number of Germans shifted their surname spelling to be more employable or avoid suspicion during WWI. Might consider some anglicized versions of the surname....and broaden the search!
A huge percentage of Germans came out of Bremerhaven & Wilhemshaven...And the German passenger lists have been published for decades. DAR library has both book and digital searches available.
Tschüss!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Die Maus is a German archive that helped kick down some huge walls when I visited 15 years ago. Their on-line search was helpful too. There may be other links to "suche"--I believe that a sizable number of Germans shifted their surname spelling to be more employable or avoid suspicion during WWI. Might consider some anglicized versions of the surname....and broaden the search!
A huge percentage of Germans came out of Bremerhaven & Wilhemshaven...And the German passenger lists have been published for decades. DAR library has both book and digital searches available.
Tschüss!

Thanks for the tips - I will muster up the will, roll up my sleeves and see how it goes.

Clem72

Been a Myheritage member for 4+ years...we are at 229/year AND...it seem that that still isn't enough. They keep plenty behind another "monthly pay" level. So...it is frustrating.
I have 1600+ member posted and hundreds of hours of work. The smart matches are very helpful and sharing of lines & photos....but that extra fee really bugs me.

Never used one of these sites. Is it like a dating site? Just pay $100 more this month and we'll let you know which relative was mentioned in the 1860 Indiana Census.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I fell down the rabbit hole this morning, but I found something super cool!

Colthurst.jpg

Hessian

I have a Jewish problem....My ggrandmother and her sister simply "appear" up in N Germany about 140 years ago. The name Handl...is actually more common down in Osterreich (among the pre 1920 Jewish families) however, it is very likely that records there were destroyed, and no one said anything in 1934-1945 regarding their Austro-Hungarian roots....so Who can unlock the origin of my Barbara & Margarete Handl??

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have a Jewish problem....My ggrandmother and her sister simply "appear" up in N Germany about 140 years ago. The name Handl...is actually more common down in Osterreich (among the pre 1920 Jewish families) however, it is very likely that records there were destroyed, and no one said anything in 1934-1945 regarding their Austro-Hungarian roots....so Who can unlock the origin of my Barbara & Margarete Handl??
I can't help you with that. Good luck with your search!