Android phones

I would absolutely recommend the Samsung Galaxy line. I have the S7, not a lick of trouble. Had the S3 before that, worked fine until I dropped it. Which is where the S7 comes in.... :biggrin:

I actually got a great deal buying the phone thru StraightTalk. I already had service thru them, and will continue for the foreseeable future.

catlingirl

I would absolutely recommend the Samsung Galaxy line. I have the S7, not a lick of trouble. Had the S3 before that, worked fine until I dropped it. Which is where the S7 comes in.... :biggrin:

I actually got a great deal buying the phone thru StraightTalk. I already had service thru them, and will continue for the foreseeable future.
Thank you. I will look into them.

PeoplesElbow

I like the moto G line, you can buy them outright off amazon for under $250. I have a Moto G6+ now and think it is a great phone. Best of all, no contract, paid $235 for it and if I break it I have no qualms about throwing it in the trash and buying another (and I dont get raped by carrier prices for "free" phones).

Amazon product

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I have a Moto G6 (XT1925DL) and I really like it a lot. I got it right off the shelf at Walmart, in the Straight Talk section. Motorola has a good product, in my opinion and the G6 works great for what I need.

I'm still partial to the OnePlus phone line, so I'm currently looking for some deals on those. They are unlocked phones, made in China, I think. They're just bigger phones, which I like, and the interface or OS or whatever it's called is really good. I liked the overall way it was designed, the graphics, just everything about it. My first one (was not the lastest model) and got outdated after I had it for about 2 years, and that was several years ago. The newest model of that phone is way too much money, in my opinion. I refuse to pay monthly for phones, and I'm not paying $500. for a phone, because that is just craziness. Deals are out there, though, so I'm keeping my eyes open. The Moto G6 was moderately priced, had a lot of storage space for what I needed and works great, so that's what I went with. (y)

catlingirl

I have a Moto G6 (XT1925DL) and I really like it a lot. I got it right off the shelf at Walmart, in the Straight Talk section. Motorola has a good product, in my opinion and the G6 works great for what I need.

I'm still partial to the OnePlus phone line, so I'm currently looking for some deals on those. They are unlocked phones, made in China, I think. They're just bigger phones, which I like, and the interface or OS or whatever it's called is really good. I liked the overall way it was designed, the graphics, just everything about it. My first one (was not the lastest model) and got outdated after I had it for about 2 years, and that was several years ago. The newest model of that phone is way too much money, in my opinion. I refuse to pay monthly for phones, and I'm not paying $500. for a phone, because that is just craziness. Deals are out there, though, so I'm keeping my eyes open. The Moto G6 was moderately priced, had a lot of storage space for what I needed and works great, so that's what I went with. (y)
Thank you for the information. How is Straight Talk as a service?

Bann

PREMO Member
Straight talk is not bad. I usually have service nearly everywhere locally & even in areas we travel. I think it uses the AT&T cell towers (I'm not sure if this is ST overall or depends on the phone you get. I don't understand that part of the technology very well!)

There are times when I've noticed lack of service, but then it's been in areas in the mountains far from a lot of civilization, towns, etc. or when traveling through certain of the deep south on I-95. so who knows. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Straight Talk gives you ATT or Sprint network backbone depending on your device

There is also TING - which you only pay for what you use for each tier

https://ting.com/rates

3 lines, minimal use except for data 3gb - my last bill was $ 54 dollars

Ting uses the T- Mobile Network as a backbone

Excellent. I've never had a coverage issue up and down the entire east coast and the entire run out to Arkansas. My StraightTalk uses the Verizon network services. I never come close to the Gb limit in the $45 plan, so I downgraded to the $35 plan. Never hit the Gb caps.

Bann

PREMO Member

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

I agree with loving the Samsung Galaxy products. Lasts forever with no issues.

catlingirl

@catlingirl - here's a link to Clark Howard's website regarding MNVOs (smaller carriers called mobile virtual network operators) that use Verizon towers. (Clark Howard is a well-known consumer advocate/watchdog. I've followed him for at least 20 years)

Turns out Straight Talk uses all the major carriers - you can read the reviews on all the plans here:

Thank you

Clem72

My S7 Edge had poor battery life and got really hot when running applications or installing software for any length of time. It also didn't have a protective coating over the fingerprint sensor/home button so that eventually got scratched up (but the rest of the phone looked brand new). Still, used it for close to 3 years and was pretty happy with it.

I just got an unlocked S9 for about $200, but I switched phone companies to Visible (owned by Verizon, runs on Verizon network) to do so. No contract, just had to remain a customer for two months (or pay for the service for two months anyways) and they give you an online Credit Card for $200.

I have a referral code if anyone wants it, gives you $20 off first month. And for what it's worth, I like the service. It's very fast, but 4G only so it may not work out in the sticks if you only have 3G access. I figure this isn't much of an issue since Verizon is retiring their 3G service next year anyways.

My S7 Edge had poor battery life and got really hot when running applications or installing software for any length of time.
My S7 didn't have those issues. I did, however, make a lot of changes from the 'standard' settings to increase battery life. I can go 2 days now with normal usage and didn't sacrifice any perceptible performance. One of the biggest wasters was that apps still run after closing them. On the S7 you can use the lower left button to bring up all apps currently in use, then one-click to actually shut them down so they don't use power.

Clem72

My S7 didn't have those issues. I did, however, make a lot of changes from the 'standard' settings to increase battery life. I can go 2 days now with normal usage and didn't sacrifice any perceptible performance. One of the biggest wasters was that apps still run after closing them. On the S7 you can use the lower left button to bring up all apps currently in use, then one-click to actually shut them down so they don't use power.
View attachment 140033

Appreciate the info. I actually took a lot of steps to improve battery life (lower brightness, reduced screen resolution, reduced CPU speed, autoclose apps).

I could have spent $70 to get a new battery and considered it, but then I wanted the better camera of the S9 (same sensor as the S10) and for $200 I figured it might be a better deal than waiting another year and picking up a mid-range phone in 2020 (that probably wouldn't be water resistant or have wireless charging). I also was having trouble with the fingerprint sensor after the coating flaked off.

As for getting hot, it was mostly with games, or if installing a lot of updates from the playstore while using the phone. If yours didn't get hot, great. Perhaps I had a bad phone and maybe the excess heat is what reduced the life the of battery.

Anyways, happy with my S9 (not Plus, that one is too large).