Angel of Retribution

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
That's the title of the new Judas Priest album, due out March 1, 2005. It's the first album of new material since Rob Halford rejoined the band.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wonder if...

...they actually went to work on this or did they pull a turd out of their 50 year old asses knowing we're gonna buy it anyway because Rob is back??????

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
...they actually went to work on this or did they pull a turd out of their 50 year old asses knowing we're gonna buy it anyway because Rob is back??????
Fair question, considering how bad Priest's two albums were with Tim Owens on vocals. (I refuse to call him Ripper, because that sounds like a bad WWE nickname.) Rob's solo albums were much better. I recommend War of Words, Resurrection and Crucible.

One good sign is that Angel of Retribution is being produced by Roy Z, who was Rob's producer and collaborator on his last two solo albums.

Agee

Wow a blast from the past! Lost some hearing sensitivity and a few brain cells listening to them back in college.

Seeing this post reminded me of their trial back in 1990:
"Can a subliminal message induce someone to commit suicide? This was the central question at the Judas Priest trial."

http://www.csicop.org/si/9611/judas_priest.html

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...let's get our definitions straight to avoid confusion later:

What do you consider 'good' Priest?

Exciter
Hellion/Electric Eye
Hell Bent
NOT You gotta 'nother thing coming OR Breakin the Law or Bloodstone
The Sentinal
Free Wheel Burning
Green Manalishi
Desert Plains

etc, etc,

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
My favorite Priest albums are Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller. The latter album came as a relief after Turbo and Ram It Down. As for songs, I like Tyrant, Dissident Aggressor, Exciter, Delivering the Goods, Hell Bent for Leather, Metal Gods, and almost anything from Vengeance or Defenders or Painkiller.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
Looking forward to it, with reservations.
:yeahthat:

The label plans to issue the track "Revolution" to radio stations on January 3. I don't believe DC101 will play it--the heaviest old-school stuff they play these days is Guns 'n' Roses and Metallica. But the video might turn up on MTV's revived Headbangers Ball.

Danzig

Good Priest is
Beyond the Realms of Death
The Ripper
Victim of changes
Sinner
Saints in Hell
Killing Machine
Savage<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Never liked the album or song Painkiller till I saw it live at Ozzfest

http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/index.php

Damien, Assistant Editor of the U.K.'s respected Terrorizer magazine, attended a listening session for the new JUDAS PRIEST album, "Angel of Retribution", in London on Monday (Dec. 20). The following is his report on the session, as submitted to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Just attended the London press day for 'Angel Of Retribution' yesterday December 20. [JUDAS PRIEST guitarists] K.K. [Downing] and Glenn [Tipton] were in attendance, as were pretty much all the U.K. rock press and much alcohol!

"We heard five songs: 'Judas Rising', 'Deal With The Devil', 'Revolution', 'Worth Fighting For' and 'Hellrider'.

"'Revolution' is absolutely massive, a true sing-along anthem that's sure to become a live staple. Quite outrageously catchy in the tradition of PRIEST's numerous chart hits.

"'Judas Rising' is a pounding, punishing workout — repetitive, but to great effect. [Rob] Halford is in great voice here.

"'Deal With The Devil' is pure heavy metal; chugging guitar downstrokes — an obvious headbanger's delight. Expect to hear it live.

"'Worth Fighting For' is the weakest of the bunch, a somewhat undercooked semi-ballad that doesn't really go anywhere.

"'Hellrider' is akin to something off 'Painkiller', truly amazing axework from Glenn and K.K. They've really excelled themselves on this album.

"There are also no less then TWO bass intros among these five, which is highly unusual, as Ian Hill only ever got two in the entire back catalog before! ('The Rage' and 'Love Bites').

"Overall, this absolutely wipes the floor with the last two albums, though it's unlikely to top 'Painkiller' or 'Screaming For Vengeance'. However as Glenn told me, this is 'just the next JUDAS PRIEST album. We've got at least 2 or 3 more albums in us...' "

As previously reported, JUDAS PRIEST's new single, "Revolution", is scheduled to go for radio adds on January 3. "Angel of Retribution" is slated for release on March 1 via Epic.

Watch for a full report/feature on JUDAS PRIEST in an upcoming issue of Terrorizer magazine.

By the way I just got a DVD of Judas Priest live at an Ozzfest show. If you want a copy PM me.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
So what do you think of the album? I've been playing it for the past week and I love it. The only weak track is Worth Fighting For. It's good to hear Rob back with the band, not just his vocals but also his songwriting.