Animals are... what?!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
PETA recently launched a new animal rights campaign called the Animal Liberation Project, where the tagline is "We are all animals." The goal is to establish a link of moral equivalency between holding Africans in slavery and holding animals in zoos; between killing a cow and killing a Jew in Auschwitz. As this article observes, actions like this are not new for PETA, but it is no less reprehensible.

Wesley J. Smith wrote an exceptional analysis of the ALP in an attempt to understand how such radical, misguided thinking can be born of a good cause. He makes the point that "nobody in their right mind supports abusing animals," but the logic that equates animal testing and zoos to genocide and slavery is fundamentally flawed.

The ALP is not just living on the Web; it's a tour traveling to various cities. On the 9th it set-up in New Haven, CT. While there the display incited more resentment and disgust than it did sympathy for the cause. "I think this detracts from PETA’s message. It doesn’t make me think about animals at all," said one visitor. The PETA people know their message is "hurtful", but they persist; they simply don't get it. If they ever do then perhaps PETA can have a productive impact, instead of merely becoming isolated as extremists.

Hot N Bothered

So, this means we can leave our old and sick behind the herd for the predators to eat.
Attack and kill trespassers on our property like wild dogs.
Let the males fight and kill for mates.

Hmmm, maybe we are animals :shrug:

I think I'll go chase down an animal and tear large chunks of raw meat off with my teeth. :yum: :biggrin:

Instigator

Instigator
Give Me A Break

For ALP to even think about drawing comparisons between animals in Zoos and the atrocities that ocurred during slavery and the attempted anihilation of Jew's during WW2 is an insult.

hvp05

Hot N Bothered said:
Hmmm, maybe we are animals
Well, I guess if you put it that way it isn't a completely bad line of thought.

This may be a great relief for husbands. The wife says, "Look at this room. You are such a pig!" He comes back with, "Yep... and you can thank PETA."

BuddyLee

Football addict
Instigator said:
For ALP to even think about drawing comparisons between animals in Zoos and the atrocities that ocurred during slavery and the attempted anihilation of Jew's during WW2 is an insult.
If you were an animal you would quite possibly disagree.:lol:

fttrsbeerwench

I agree that it is an insult, but the shock value was enough to grab your attention, wasn't it? Their goal has been met, only not the way they would have wanted you to look. The voice the wants to be heard will find a way.
I also agree that we are all animals, more so now than ever before. People are snapping out and attacking one another. Random violence, an increase in crimes like rape and murder are frighteningly close to home. So, it may not have been the right way to say it but it was kind of on target.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While we ARE all animals, there is a food chain hierarchy. Do you think a lion would feel bad for one second taking down a zebra to feed its cubs? And if those lions had the wherewithal to actually raise zebras for food instead of having to hunt them, don't you think they'd do it in a heartbeat?

tomchamp

vraiblonde said:
While we ARE all animals, there is a food chain hierarchy. Do you think a lion would feel bad for one second taking down a zebra to feed its cubs? And if those lions had the wherewithal to actually raise zebras for food instead of having to hunt them, don't you think they'd do it in a heartbeat?
Oh and do you know what Polar Bears do? They will go and get one of those cute little seals. Even when they aren't hungry. Planning for their next meal.(like grocery shopping) They don't kill it right a way. Just wound it...like break it's spine...so it stays warm and fresh till they get hungry. That can be several days.

hvp05

fttrsbeerwench said:
I agree that it is an insult, but the shock value was enough to grab your attention, wasn't it? Their goal has been met, only not the way they would have wanted you to look.
It grabbed my attention to the extent that I am reminded how looney they are. Watching the crazies helps reaffirm the fact that I am right. :biggrin:

fttrsbeerwench said:
I also agree that we are all animals, more so now than ever before.
Here's the quirky part: Ingrid Newkirk, PETA Pres., doesn't seem to care about human life. That is, apparently, why she has chosen to align with groups like the Animal Liberation Front (that's right: ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), whose primary form of "influence" is violence. Whether it's a lumber plant, animal testing facility or other place they resent, they have no problem blowing it up -- including any people nearby.

Furthermore, consider this (from Wikipedia):
In response to a news report in January of 2003 that a donkey was laden with explosives and intentionally blown up in a failed attack on a busload of Israeli soldiers in Jerusalem, PETA President Ingrid Newkirk sent then Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat a request that he "appeal to all those who listen to [him] to leave the animals out of this conflict." However, Newkirk deliberately did not ask Arafat to try to stop suicide bombings that killed people but did not harm animals. She later explained what many saw as a morally untenable stance, to the Washington Post: "It is not my business to inject myself into human wars."
:crazy:

vraiblonde said:
While we ARE all animals...
Not according to the GOOD BOOK, ma'am. I know I have a special place, well above those dirty animals. :getdown:

In my progenitor post I guess I should also have added that the tagline for the ALP when it was in New Haven was "Are Animals the New Slaves?" (That's what inspired the thread title.)