Another chain restaurant coming!

dontknowwhy

I watched something on MPT last night about the best burger joints in DC...all private mom & pop type places & it got me thinking about all of our sucky chain places...
We really need a surge in little private eateries like that, but I guess all of the rules & regs in MD help to prevent small business growth that would be a welcome change

C

czygvtwkr

I watched something on MPT last night about the best burger joints in DC...all private mom & pop type places & it got me thinking about all of our sucky chain places...
We really need a surge in little private eateries like that, but I guess all of the rules & regs in MD help to prevent small business growth that would be a welcome change

It is the initial investment in something like that, you basically have to be rich and not need the income to be able to open one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

People around here won't go to the independently owned places. They want their chains with microwaved food out of a bag.

And they're loyal. I caught all kinds of holy hell on here for daring to say I don't care to eat at chain restaurants. You'd have thought I disparaged Christ. Or softball and 10 oz Bud. A couple of them questioned my patriotism.

Anyway, that's why we can't have nice things like other communities have.

C

czygvtwkr

People around here won't go to the independently owned places. They want their chains with microwaved food out of a bag.

And they're loyal. I caught all kinds of holy hell on here for daring to say I don't care to eat at chain restaurants. You'd have thought I disparaged Christ. Or softball and 10 oz Bud. A couple of them questioned my patriotism.

Anyway, that's why we can't have nice things like other communities have.

That is because there are so few that are any good to begin with and those that are are sort of expensive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That is because there are so few that are any good to begin with and those that are are sort of expensive.

You get what you pay for. If you only want to pay a dollar for a burger, you will get a dollar menu burger. $4.99 all you can eat isn't going to be a gourmet meal, or even edible. But it will be cheap.

KDENISE977

You get what you pay for. If you only want to pay a dollar for a burger, you will get a dollar menu burger. $4.99 all you can eat isn't going to be a gourmet meal, or even edible. But it will be cheap.

Oh what I woldn't give for a nice family owned/run restaurant with GOOD, doesn't even have to be great, food.

spinner

So where are these good non-chain restaurants in So. MD? I haven't tried the Ruddy Duck yet, but Jerry's and CD Cafe are really good. And we had good burgers and cheesesteaks at the Laurel Grove the other night. But the last two times we ate at Clarks Landing the food was horrible, and that was my favorite place to eat.
I agree about the GC, ICK

C

czygvtwkr

When you go to lunch and barely get any change back from a $20, I say that is too high. There is a bit of a jump from the dollar menu and a $20 sandwich.

TruckLuvr

Golden Corral was supposed to be finished by this passed summer. To me, the old McDonalds looks too small to be turned into a Golden Corral.

Curious99

When you go to lunch and barely get any change back from a $20, I say that is too high. There is a bit of a jump from the dollar menu and a $20 sandwich.

Low fast-food wages come at high public cost, reports say - The Washington Post

We wind up paying more for the cheap food than you think, even if you don’t eat at them. This article says in part “More than half of the nation’s 1.8 million “core” fast-food workers rely on the federal safety net to make ends meet, the reports said. Together, they collect nearly $1.9 billion through the earned income tax credit, $1 billion in food stamps and $3.9 billion through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, according to a report by economists at the University of California at Berkeley’s Labor Center and the University of Illinois.”
“Those workers are left to rely on the public safety net even though the nation’s seven largest publicly traded fast-food companies netted a combined $7.4 billion in profits last year, while paying out $53 million in salaries to their top executives and distributing $7.7 billion to shareholders…”
It goes on to talk about unions, welfare, corporate profits, and other issues near and dear to the forum. Industry comments are also included.

BernieP

Resident PIA

It's what sells

Tie this to the discussion yesterday about the "diversity" in the local economy and where the majority of the people are employed.

There are a number of high wage earners associated with the base, civilian, contractors and military. But in terms of the population of the county as a whole, they probably don't make up the majority.
The majority of the people are employed at jobs that pay far less.
Before people star throwing out statistics, remember what my pappy use to say, "figures lie and liars figure". You can use statistics to make a case for about anything.
Look at where the jobs are in Calvert County. The better paying jobs are with the power plant, but retail / food service employment sector probably leads the way.