Another chain restaurant coming!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I watched something on MPT last night about the best burger joints in DC...all private mom & pop type places & it got me thinking about all of our sucky chain places...
We really need a surge in little private eateries like that, but I guess all of the rules & regs in MD help to prevent small business growth that would be a welcome change

Nobody would go to them, or at least not enough to keep them in business. People would rather go to________________ because they don't know better.

You see it time and time again in SoMD. We have two coffee shoppes/bakeries in North Beach. Both are popular and fairly busy. One owner was a contestant on Cupcake Wars a couple years ago. But people complain and tell developers, and the local government, they'd rather have a Starbucks.

You see it for restaurants and grocery stores and damn near every other type business.

The local business owners aren't without blame either. Many of them don't have a clue about marketing or actually having products their customer base will buy. Instead they stock what they like and expect people to buy it.

I mail order shotgun shells. Why? Because the very few local gun shops here are either overpriced for the loads I use (non-tox goose loads) or don't carry them. But you can buy all the .30-06 you want (in a state where rifles are banned in most areas for hunting).

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Low fast-food wages come at high public cost, reports say - The Washington Post

We wind up paying more for the cheap food than you think, even if you don’t eat at them. This article says in part “More than half of the nation’s 1.8 million “core” fast-food workers rely on the federal safety net to make ends meet, the reports said. Together, they collect nearly $1.9 billion through the earned income tax credit, $1 billion in food stamps and $3.9 billion through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, according to a report by economists at the University of California at Berkeley’s Labor Center and the University of Illinois.”
“Those workers are left to rely on the public safety net even though the nation’s seven largest publicly traded fast-food companies netted a combined $7.4 billion in profits last year, while paying out $53 million in salaries to their top executives and distributing $7.7 billion to shareholders…”
It goes on to talk about unions, welfare, corporate profits, and other issues near and dear to the forum. Industry comments are also included.

Well if it bothers you so much pay them out of your pocket.

SoMdDude

Does anyone remember when Golden Corral used to be order by #, and you waited in line with a tray for your food? Thats when it was awesome! Hell that was probably 20+ years ago though lol

Curious99

Well if it bothers you so much pay them out of your pocket.
I am paying them and so are you. Patrons of fast food restaurants should pay for the full cost of the goods they receive and customers should not be subsidized by the taxpayer. Good argument for paying the fast food workers a living wage so the workers are not dependent on welfare. Economists would call that internalizing an external cost.
Besides, with higher costs the customers might be healthier.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

I am paying them and so are you. Patrons of fast food restaurants should pay for the full cost of the goods they receive and customers should not be subsidized by the taxpayer. Good argument for paying the fast food workers a living wage so the workers are not dependent on welfare. Economists would call that internalizing an external cost.
Besides, with higher costs the customers might be healthier.

Just because a grown adult takes a teenagers job doesn't mean the should be paid more.

molly_21

Nobody would go to them, or at least not enough to keep them in business. People would rather go to________________ because they don't know better.

You see it time and time again in SoMD. We have two coffee shoppes/bakeries in North Beach. Both are popular and fairly busy. One owner was a contestant on Cupcake Wars a couple years ago. But people complain and tell developers, and the local government, they'd rather have a Starbucks.

You see it for restaurants and grocery stores and damn near every other type business.

The local business owners aren't without blame either. Many of them don't have a clue about marketing or actually having products their customer base will buy. Instead they stock what they like and expect people to buy it.

I think the problem in the Pax River area is that local coffee places like Coffee Quarter lose business because of their sucky hrs (I don't drink coffee, but I do drink hot chocolate). I get to work at 0530 and Starbucks is open at that hr and so is Dunkin Donuts. Even Donut Connection, a local chain has better hrs (granted the one near G.M's Road is 24 hrs, but the one in Lusby opens at 6am and Lusby DD is open when I leave for work). But is Coffee Quarter? Nope. They open at 7am. Guess what, most employees like Dyncorp, most gov't workers and other contractors are already at work by 7am. Yeah, you have people that don't get to work until 730am or later. But you are missing around 85% of possible customers by opening at 7am. Granted they get some lunch crowd with their sandwichs, but you are a coffee place...............

As far as grocery stores. Yes, we are getting an Aldi (which I don't care for, but I work with a lady who loves it). If they read the forums, they will see that people want a Trader Joe's, Wegman's, MOM's (which I don't care for, but they do have some good stuff in there), or even a Whole Foods. Do they listen, nope. Myself and one of my friends will make a day and go to Alexandria (since that Trader Joe's has wine/beer) or Annapolis and go to Trader Joe's. I know alot of other people that do the same thing. While it is nice to get out of Calvert/St.Mary's and make a day out of going to Annapolis or Alexandria, there are times I would rather just go 10/15 mins down the road to a Trader Joe's or Wegman's (well OK, I have not checked out the Largo Wegman's) then make a day trip out of it.

C

czygvtwkr

I think the problem in the Pax River area is that local coffee places like Coffee Quarter lose business because of their sucky hrs (I don't drink coffee, but I do drink hot chocolate). I get to work at 0530 and Starbucks is open at that hr and so is Dunkin Donuts. Even Donut Connection, a local chain has better hrs (granted the one near G.M's Road is 24 hrs, but the one in Lusby opens at 6am and Lusby DD is open when I leave for work). But is Coffee Quarter? Nope. They open at 7am. Guess what, most employees like Dyncorp, most gov't workers and other contractors are already at work by 7am. Yeah, you have people that don't get to work until 730am or later. But you are missing around 85% of possible customers by opening at 7am. Granted they get some lunch crowd with their sandwichs, but you are a coffee place...............

As far as grocery stores. Yes, we are getting an Aldi (which I don't care for, but I work with a lady who loves it). If they read the forums, they will see that people want a Trader Joe's, Wegman's, MOM's (which I don't care for, but they do have some good stuff in there), or even a Whole Foods. Do they listen, nope. Myself and one of my friends will make a day and go to Alexandria (since that Trader Joe's has wine/beer) or Annapolis and go to Trader Joe's. I know alot of other people that do the same thing. While it is nice to get out of Calvert/St.Mary's and make a day out of going to Annapolis or Alexandria, there are times I would rather just go 10/15 mins down the road to a Trader Joe's or Wegman's (well OK, I have not checked out the Largo Wegman's) then make a day trip out of it.

I think you are onto something, you wouldn't believe how many Sheetz and WaWa coffee cups are in the trash can here by 7am.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I've noticed so many "grocery stores" of various stripes open and close in this county that I long ago lost count. New ones open and either fail eventually themselves, or soon lead to the failure of others that were already here. Or both. Pretty much the same can be said for many other retail chain businesses, including the restaurants. There are a lot of choices I would "rather" have than some we do have...but at the end of the day its little more than a game of musical chairs in this area. We don't experience growth as much as we experience "substitution".

molly_21

I've noticed so many "grocery stores" of various stripes open and close in this county that I long ago lost count. New ones open and either fail eventually themselves, or soon lead to the failure of others that were already here. Or both. Pretty much the same can be said for many other retail chain businesses, including the restaurants. There are a lot of choices I would "rather" have than some we do have...but at the end of the day its little more than a game of musical chairs in this area. We don't experience growth as much as we experience "substitution".

I agree. Why do you need two steak houses in walking distance of each other and a 3rd one 5 mins driving? Why do you need two Food Lions over in Calvert within 7 mins of each other driving? That was a big complaint amoung my neighbours in Lusby is that if you are going to open grocery stores up, why the f*** do you need to have one of them be a Food Lion when you have one 7 mins down the road?! It is not like you are driving 30 mins out of your way to go to one?!?! Anyway.

frequentflier

happy to be living
So where are these good non-chain restaurants in So. MD? I haven't tried the Ruddy Duck yet, but Jerry's and CD Cafe are really good. And we had good burgers and cheesesteaks at the Laurel Grove the other night. But the last two times we ate at Clarks Landing the food was horrible, and that was my favorite place to eat.
I agree about the GC, ICK

Personally, I like the Grid Iron Grill in Callaway, Laughing Buddah in Solomons, Boomerangs in Solomons, CD Café in Solomons, Lotus Kitchen in Solomons (was Kim's Key Lie Pies) and the Captains Table in Solomons has awesome breakfast and hamburgers. Once in awhile, we have breakfast at The Frying Pan in Lusby. Oh- and of course the Ruddy Duck is a favorite!
These are all non chain-locally owned businesses.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Personally, I like the Grid Iron Grill in Callaway, Laughing Buddah in Solomons, Boomerangs in Solomons, CD Café in Solomons, Lotus Kitchen in Solomons (was Kim's Key Lie Pies) and the Captains Table in Solomons has awesome breakfast and hamburgers. Once in awhile, we have breakfast at The Frying Pan in Lusby. Oh- and of course the Ruddy Duck is a favorite!
These are all non chain-locally owned businesses.

those....and Chief's.....Reluctant Navigator.....:buddies:

royhobie

hobieflyer
Snot nosed kids with their filthy fingers in the chocolate bacteria fountian...

I have no doubt that you may be right to some degree about the kids. But, keep an eye on your favorite fast food restaurant. In the past, employees at Burger King were not wearing protective gloves when handling food. It is a requirement. The Health Department cracked down on them. They seem to be better now. You never know what goes on with the restaurants that you can't see what is going on. Any where you eat out, any time you eat out, you always take a chance.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just because a grown adult takes a teenagers job doesn't mean the should be paid more.

agreed.

These jobs use to be the ones kids (high school and college) took as part time employment. It's simply a sad state,emt on our economy where these are counted as JOBS and we have people with college degrees in these positions.

On the otherhand, there has been a shift in wealth toward the upper end of the scale. The middle class is almost no existant, more people are slidding below the poverty level. Execitove compensation has increased at a expondential rate while compentsation for employees has either held steady or declined. I read a blurb that if the minimum wage had increased at the same rate as executive compensation since 1993, the lowest paid worker in the US would be making $23/hour.

thurley42

HY;FR
I agree. Why do you need two steak houses in walking distance of each other and a 3rd one 5 mins driving? Why do you need two Food Lions over in Calvert within 7 mins of each other driving? That was a big complaint amoung my neighbours in Lusby is that if you are going to open grocery stores up, why the f*** do you need to have one of them be a Food Lion when you have one 7 mins down the road?! It is not like you are driving 30 mins out of your way to go to one?!?! Anyway.

Well, because it's over an hour wait at most of them on a Friday/Saturday evening...

The grocery store I completely agree with.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read a blurb that if the minimum wage had increased at the same rate as executive compensation since 1993, the lowest paid worker in the US would be making $23/hour.

That doesn't surprise me because there are an awful lot of people in low income jobs, but it takes someone exceptional to rise to the executive level. Plus it seems to take more low earners to do a job that took one in years past. I notice this in restaurants a lot, having been a waitress years ago, that there are a ton of waitrons on the floor and they're still struggling to keep drinks filled and food coming out.

People are worth the effort they put out. Those in high income jobs typically put in productive hours that your average cashier could never even conceive of. So I question whether wealth has shifted in and of itself, or if it has simply followed hard work and productivity.

Curious99

That doesn't surprise me because there are an awful lot of people in low income jobs, but it takes someone exceptional to rise to the executive level. Plus it seems to take more low earners to do a job that took one in years past. I notice this in restaurants a lot, having been a waitress years ago, that there are a ton of waitrons on the floor and they're still struggling to keep drinks filled and food coming out.

People are worth the effort they put out. Those in high income jobs typically put in productive hours that your average cashier could never even conceive of. So I question whether wealth has shifted in and of itself, or if it has simply followed hard work and productivity.

Income Inequality Is What's Destroying America - Forbes
Income inequality has been growing in the US since the 1970s under Republican and Democratic presidents alike. Just google income inequality and check it out. A conservative source, Forbes magazine says:
“One report by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist David Cay Johnston conducted for Tax Analysts found incomes of the bottom 90% of Americans grew only $59 (adjusted for inflation) from 1966 to 2011, while incomes for the top 10% rose by $116,071.”
There are many reasons but Forbes says,
“The bottom line in the increasing income inequality tragedy destroying America is that earnings, as in the fruits of one’s labor, are an increasingly small component of the whole income picture while capital gains from investments in primarily financial assets (all of which are critical to America’s growth prospects) make up an increasingly huge chunk of the total income pie.”
If you’ve ever traveled in a poor country the incomes are very unequal with lots of poverty, beggars, crime, and political instability. That may be the future here and the post war economic boom with its large middle class may be an historical aberration. Many working poor work very hard.
Verified: 400 Wealthiest Americans have a Greater Combined Net Worth than the Bottom 150 Million Americans | Decisions Based on Evidence
Above link says that the richest 400 Americans have as much wealth as the bottom 150 million Americans. Wow, that's more than hard work and productivity.

C

czygvtwkr

I think such reports are deceiving because back "in the day" alot less people worked for someone. Their job was living, my dad grew up on a farm where they were beyond dirt poor. When he was little his dad sent him out to pick dandelion greens for dinner, get eggs from the chickens, and even to shoot doves (pigeons) for a meal. He grew up in a house that had no phone, no cable (didnt even have a TV), they chopped wood for heat and hand pumped a well for water. Compare the quality of life, no scratch that, stuff poor people have no a days vs what poor people had then.

Things poor people have today that they didn't 50 years ago: air conditioning, multiple cars, electronic gadgets, clothes that weren't considered poor people clothes (jeans were for poor kids then) when they needed something they often traded a pig, or a hard days labor for it. A hot bath or shower was a luxury. When you compare to the good old days, make sure to make a valid comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarieB

I think such reports are deceiving because back "in the day" alot less people worked for someone. Their job was living, my dad grew up on a farm where they were beyond dirt poor. When he was little his dad sent him out to pick dandelion greens for dinner, get eggs from the chickens, and even to shoot doves (pigeons) for a meal. He grew up in a house that had no phone, no cable (didnt even have a TV), they chopped wood for heat and hand pumped a well for water. Compare the quality of life, no scratch that, stuff poor people have no a days vs what poor people had then.

Things poor people have today that they didn't 50 years ago: air conditioning, multiple cars, electronic gadgets, clothes that weren't considered poor people clothes (jeans were for poor kids then) when they needed something they often traded a pig, or a hard days labor for it. A hot bath or shower was a luxury. When you compare to the good old days, make sure to make a valid comparison.

The time period used for comparison was 1966 to 2011