Another Crabbing question

D

dems4me

I've decided to give up on the trot line -- but have decided to go with the trap idea -- even though I've had worse luck with that but I had an idea. I have an underwater camera and was going to put the camera scope underwater so that I can actually see if a crab has climed into one of the collapsable traps... is this legal? Has anyone tried this before? Usually I just see darkness and bubbles, but I plan on doing this before the tide picks up and when things are rather calm and it has a light I can turn on but don't know if it would chase the crabs away.

:confused: any suggestions?

K

Kain99

Crabs are attracted to light! We used to go spotlighting for Crabs at Solomons all the time.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Kain99
Crabs are attracted to light! We used to go spotlighting for Crabs at Solomons all the time.

Thanks so it will work in my favor!!! :biggrin: Is it legal?:confused:

Here's what you need to do. Get 20-30 of the ring traps from Boaters World (30 is max legal limit) for $1.79 each (the ones @ WalMart suck), get a brightly colored pool noodle and cut it into 8" sections to use for bouys, cut 1"x1"x1/4" pieces (or use tiny fishing bobbers) as floats where the trap strings attatch to the main cord to keep them up off the trap surface, attatch about 2 oz. of weight to the trap (1 oz. across from 1 oz.) and then use wire to attatch the bait to the middle of the trap. Drop the traps in a line like you would a trot line, about 10-20 yards apart, and once you finish dropping them, go back to the beginning and start pulling up your crabs. Lots of people are having great luck with them this year (3/4 - 1.5 bushel of crabs in about 2 hours total time) in the Patuxent in 3-6 feet of water.

Originally posted by huntr1
Here's what you need to do. Get 20-30 of the ring traps from Boaters World (30 is max legal limit) for $1.79 each (the ones @ WalMart suck), get a brightly colored pool noodle and cut it into 8" sections to use for bouys, cut 1"x1"x1/4" pieces (or use tiny fishing bobbers) as floats where the trap strings attatch to the main cord to keep them up off the trap surface, attatch about 2 oz. of weight to the trap (1 oz. across from 1 oz.) and then use wire to attatch the bait to the middle of the trap. Drop the traps in a line like you would a trot line, about 10-20 yards apart, and once you finish dropping them, go back to the beginning and start pulling up your crabs. Lots of people are having great luck with them this year (3/4 - 1.5 bushel of crabs in about 2 hours total time) in the Patuxent in 3-6 feet of water.
Great info, Huntr1... this would cut her crab collection time allowing her more time for barn raising...:yay:

D

dems4me

Thanks for your constructive advice!!! :clap: do you have a crabbing license? Would you like to join us?

J

justhangn

Originally posted by kwillia
Great info, Huntr1... this would cut her crab collection time allowing her more time for barn raising...:yay:

More like "increase her crab relocation program 10 fold".

:duh:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by dems4me
Thanks for your constructive advice!!! :clap: do you have a crabbing license? Would you like to join us?

awww, Huntr & Dems sitting in a tree ... K-I-S-S-I-N-G :dance:

:neener:

If you own a boat and get the $40.00 Bay Fishing License, you don't need a seperate crabbing license. BTW, you can only keep 1 bushel of crabs per licensed person (i.e. if I go out with my buddy on his boat, and take my fishing license with me, we can keep 2 bushels, if I leave my license at home, we can only keep 1). Nope, I have lost so much barn time due to rain, that I am not fishing/crabbing again until I get the roof trusses up.

D

dems4me

If you own a boat and get the $40.00 Bay Fishing License, you don't need a seperate crabbing license. BTW, you can only keep 1 bushel of crabs per licensed person (i.e. if I go out with my buddy on his boat, and take my fishing license with me, we can keep 2 bushels, if I leave my license at home, we can only keep 1). Nope, I have lost so much barn time due to rain, that I am not fishing/crabbing again until I get the roof trusses up.

I have a license but if another person on the boat also has a crabbing license it increases the amount of crabs we can keep. I'm familiar with roof trusses if you need help... I helped with them on my barn. :smile:

I have a license but if another person on the boat also has a crabbing license it increases the amount of crabs we can keep.
Dur! That's what I just said.

D

dems4me

Dur! That's what I just said.

Sorry I was juggling between actually working and posting at the same time and glanced over that -- then I realized it too late... sorry. :frown: Let me know though if you and family have a hankering to get out on the water anytime :biggrin: