Another day, another vehicle into a business

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
This time at Murphy's Town and Country in the 7th District. From the FB page of the 7th District Volunteer Fire Department:

Crews are clearing the scene at Murphy's Town and Country after a vehicle drove through the building. Chief 5, 5A, 5B, Squad 5 and Engine 52 operated on the scene. The collapse teams from LaPlata VFD and NDW Pax River assisted during the removal of the vehicle.

Interesting to note the truck had "Farm Use" tags. :eyebrow:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Gilbert lost at least 5 glass front commercial refrigerators to an uninsured driver. They were finishing up a remodel of the store, but they are open for business.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Gilbert lost at least 5 glass front commercial refrigerators to an uninsured driver. They were finishing up a remodel of the store, but they are open for business.
Wow, that's awful, especially for a small Mom and Pop store. Glad they could reopen so quickly. :yay:

MiddleGround

So, this guy manufactured the Farm Use license plate, drove into the store, attempted to flee with a handgun on display, tried to break in to a nearby house, and they found 2 more guns in the truck. Also, he was on drugs and/or drunk..........

Released on his own recognizance!!!

Welcome to Maryland justice!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Update:

On Friday, March 29, 2019, at approximately 9:00 p.m., police and firefighters responded to Murphy’s Town & County Store, in Avenue, for the report of a vehicle into a building.

Firefighters and an ambulance crew were told to stage in the area and not to proceed to the scene after dispatchers learned the driver of the truck got out of the vehicle holding a gun.

The driver, later identified as Dylan Charles Waugaman, 23, of Abell, fled the scene prior to the arrival of police. Waugaman then attempted to break into a nearby residence, however, he was unsuccessful. Deputies from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office located Waugaman in nearby woods.

Police recovered two more guns back at the vehicle. The vehicle, a Chevrolet Silverado pick up truck displayed a homemade license plate that had the words “FARM USE” printed on it.

Waugaman was taken to the St. Mary’s County Detention and Rehabilitation Center where he was charged with burglary and two counts of destruction of property.

Waugaman was also suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while driving.

Firefighters from Seventh District Volunteer Fire Department were assisted by collapse teams from the La Plata Volunteer Fire Department and Naval District Washington Pax River Fire Department with the removal of the vehicle from the structure.

At this time further charges are pending and updates will be provided as they become available.

Waugaman was released a few hours after the incident on his own recognizance.

"Released on his own recognizance" - wow. :eyebrow:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Update:

"Released on his own recognizance" - wow. :eyebrow:
seems weird right?
But bond is not meant to keep people off the street, it's to deter flight.
If the arrested is found to be a threat to themself or others they will be held without bond.
So if he's known to the commisioner, then he probably got released on PR. A judge could reverse that and make him post some form of bail.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Nothing different than the many people who have Historic plates on their daily driver vehicles.

Nothing different except one is homemade and one is issued by the state and requires the vehicle to be insured. I don't agree with people driving their 1999 Camry around with Historic plates, but lets be realistic. At least they have the minimum insurance at the time the tag is issued.

glhs837

Power with Control
My big issues with historics, and the sate agrees, is people misusing them to get old work trucks and vans on the road. When I see a non-restored old Chevy van straining with a bunch of scaffolding strapped to the rusty roof rack and paint dribbles down the bumper, I get a bit scared.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My big issues with historics, and the sate agrees, is people misusing them to get old work trucks and vans on the road. When I see a non-restored old Chevy van straining with a bunch of scaffolding strapped to the rusty roof rack and paint dribbles down the bumper, I get a bit scared.
JPC.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Nothing different than the many people who have Historic plates on their daily driver vehicles.

I know of someone that recently got pulled over on a Thursday in a van with historic plates. I guess they are supposed to be for weekend use only. And not intended for work vehicles.
He went and re registered the van.

glhs837

Power with Control
I know of someone that recently got pulled over on a Thursday in a van with historic plates. I guess they are supposed to be for weekend use only. And not intended for work vehicles.
He went and re registered the van.

The stat announced a crackdown a couple years back. Reading between the lines, they are really focused on the trucks and vans. Legally, it's to and from meets and repairs, really. But my 1998 BMW convertible that I might drive to work twice a month isn't really what they are after. It's the guy with a van truck using it for business. Every single case I've heard of since then has involved a truck or van.

ginwoman

The stat announced a crackdown a couple years back. Reading between the lines, they are really focused on the trucks and vans. Legally, it's to and from meets and repairs, really. But my 1998 BMW convertible that I might drive to work twice a month isn't really what they are after. It's the guy with a van truck using it for business. Every single case I've heard of since then has involved a truck or van.
Historic tags are for trucks meets and repairs. Maybe antique has the same guidelines I really don't know.