Another Disappointing Dinner Out

Clem72

I'm not an enormous fan of Red Robin. It's okay for a drink and nosh, but their burgers are somewhat gross and the fries are those fat potatoey ones that I hate.

I swear they used to be good. At least from what I remember in the late 80s early 90s. When I go now it's when they send me an e-mail for a free burger. Usually get the samurai as the teriyaki sauce and pineapple slice can do a lot to mask an otherwise meh burger.

I forgot to mention... tucked behind the menus and ketchup and salt and pepper was a little placard card with an ad for their no-beef hamburger, an Impossible Burger. And it was only $3.50 more than the regular burger. I'd be tempted to try it, but not for $3.50 over the cost of their already overpriced burger.

And it looked like they were hiding it, like they really didn't want to make it known they have it.

mitzi

I wonder how the Slice House is doing. I haven't been, I can't bring myself to pay over $4 for one slice of pizza.

MiddleGround

Last time I was in RR I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to seat me (I was the only one waiting to be seated and no one was at the greeting booth) and... it was the Manager???

The problem with the chain places and their mediocrity is, in fact, the local pool of talent they have to draw from for work talent. The same people hop from place to place with the same work values. That is why a new opening is so great. They import people to open these places and they are usually corporate recognized workers who try to make it great. After 6 months to a year, they hand it over to local talent and the slow dismal slide begins.

Chick fil A seems to be the exception and I believe it is because of their ownership policy that owners MUST be FULL TIME owners. Not franchise owners that do it as a second job.

Grumpy

You see all these great places on Diners, Driveins and Dives. Be nice to have locally owned, knock it out of the park restaurants around here. Corporate cookie cutter crap is really getting old. Although I hear In N Out Burger is the bomb.

Annapolis/Eastport has a bunch of great locally owned diners. The bad thing is I know where they are but I'll be damned if I can remember their names..:lol:

Grumpy

Davis Pub in Eastport has great food, I believe they were featured on DDD at some point over the past 15 years.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
You see all these great places on Diners, Driveins and Dives. Be nice to have locally owned, knock it out of the park restaurants around here. Corporate cookie cutter crap is really getting old. Although I hear In N Out Burger is the bomb.

I love watching that show but my husband and I get so frustrated :lol: we've both lived all over so we love all kinds of food - trying it all and usually going back home to recreate - and somehow ended up in a culinary foodie deadzone. I've seen many places in Maryland featured, but they're all in Annapolis or the Eastern shore or Baltimore 🤷 I always add those to a list so if we ever end up those ways, we can try and stop. We got a couple of decent local places here, but nothing to write to DDD about.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I think there was a BBQ joint on DDD a few years ago in South Baltimore. I once thought about risking my life to go check it out, but never made it.
You can look up all the locations the show has featured here:.

I love watching that show but my husband and I get so frustrated :lol: we've both lived all over so we love all kinds of food - trying it all and usually going back home to recreate - and somehow ended up in a culinary foodie deadzone. I've seen many places in Maryland featured, but they're all in Annapolis or the Eastern shore or Baltimore 🤷 I always add those to a list so if we ever end up those ways, we can try and stop. We got a couple of decent local places here, but nothing to write to DDD about.

I don't have the equipment, expertise, or recipes to recreate those recipes. :lol: I have always thought a piece on Bert's Drive-In would be cool and right up Guy's alley. 😎

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You can look up all the locations the show has featured here:.

I don't have the equipment, expertise, or recipes to recreate those recipes. :lol: I have always thought a piece on Bert's Drive-In would be cool and right up Guy's alley. 😎
I've been to Broadway Diner a couple of times. I never knew it was on the show! :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've been to Broadway Diner a couple of times. I never knew it was on the show! :lol:
I have been to several that have been on the show. One in particular was memorable because a few years ago it was also featured on a Gordon Ramsey makeover show and it was horribly disgusting: The Old Coffeepot Restaurant in New Orleans. They found a dead rodent in the toaster! :jameo: :barf: