Another Disappointing Dinner Out

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have been to several that have been on the show. One in particular was memorable because a few years ago it was also featured on a Gordon Ramsey makeover show and it was horribly disgusting: The Old Coffeepot Restaurant in New Orleans. They found a dead rodent in the toaster! :jameo: :barf:
:barf:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I alwyas wondered how many of the dives he 'recovers' continue doing well, and how many go back the hell hole they were.

And yes, I'm sure there's a Google for that.....

Thanks @Kyle! The odds don't look very favorable on staying open. You can clean the restaurant but changing the staff culture is another thing and old habits die hard.

I only watched the one episode of '24 Hours To Hell and Back' as I really don't like Mr. Ramsey but I saw the previews and the server we had (Miss Pearl?) was featured. The Old Coffeepot is still open but reviews are mixed.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Anyone tried Los Guyabos near Spring Ridge Middle School? It gets mostly good to great reviews, so I got take out there about six months ago - beef enchiladas that ended up being topped with shredded lettuce and sour cream. Really not very good and I didn't understand the lettuce on top of an enchilada at all. I ended up throwing most of it away.

So I tried again last week and got the street tacos. The reviews I read were great. The flank steak in these suckers was as dry as a bone - all the sauces they provided didn't help at all. The beans were good but I've had canned that were just as tasty. I love Mexican food I just can't seem to find the right thing to order on their huge menu or maybe I'm going at the wrong time and getting stuff that's leftover from lunch instead of fresh made.

I really want to like this place but so far it's been a huge disappointment. The only saving grace was my cheap sangria and their flan which was delicious.
I've had them a couple times: to me they taste like Plaza Tolteca and Plaza Azteca. Americanized Mexican. It's ok. It's fine for a decent work group lunch which is usually how I end up there. However one time I had their lunch Huevos Rancheros (I know its normally a breakfast thing). It was awful. First time I sent something back to the kitchen in a long time. Otherwise they're just fine. However, with lettuce and sour cream, etc. I'd avoid getting most Mexican to go, I'd rather eat it hot and fresh, it's almost never good after that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a good Mexican place up in Prince Frederick... La Tolteca, I think it's called. And when I'm in town I always meet Belvak and husband at Tequila Grill.

I wonder how the Slice House is doing. I haven't been, I can't bring myself to pay over $4 for one slice of pizza.
I decided to try them out tonight. One the good side, they were very busy, and from a quick talk with the cashier, it's like that alot. They now have Dr. Brown sodas (if you're from NY/NJ you get this...). On the 'eh' side, the slice didn't have the same NY taste as last time. It was a bit more bland, missing something. Garlic for one. The crust is still too thin. And because they open and close the oven constantly, the tops of the slices are just not done enough. They have no plans ever to offer a whole pie, can't afford the oven space. That's a shame. They are missing out on a huge market. I'm not talking about take out, but even just a family of 4 sitting down. Everyone gets 2 slices at $4/slice. That's $32 just for the pizza. Plus drinks. What family wants to pay that? It's just not that much better. In fact, my #1 pie in this area is still from the Jerry's Pizza and Subs on Solomons for a fraction of that price.

They do not appear to be in any danger of going out of business right now, but I won't be going back. Too bad... after all they hype I was really hoping it would be worth it.

General Lee

I decided to try them out tonight. One the good side, they were very busy, and from a quick talk with the cashier, it's like that alot. They now have Dr. Brown sodas (if you're from NY/NJ you get this...). On the 'eh' side, the slice didn't have the same NY taste as last time. It was a bit more bland, missing something. Garlic for one. The crust is still too thin. And because they open and close the oven constantly, the tops of the slices are just not done enough. They have no plans ever to offer a whole pie, can't afford the oven space. That's a shame. They are missing out on a huge market. I'm not talking about take out, but even just a family of 4 sitting down. Everyone gets 2 slices at $4/slice. That's $32 just for the pizza. Plus drinks. What family wants to pay that? It's just not that much better. In fact, my #1 pie in this area is still from the Jerry's Pizza and Subs on Solomons for a fraction of that price.

They do not appear to be in any danger of going out of business right now, but I won't be going back. Too bad... after all they hype I was really hoping it would be worth it.

I was in no hurry to try them out. I've read your reviews of the place and it makes me still say, Eh still don't wanna try them. I personally think they won't last.

mitzi

I still haven't tried it and doubt I will from what I hear.

Bonehead

I had the best NY style pie in Bethany Beach this past week...nice thin crispy crust homemade sauce and good toppings. Pompados is the place right near the boardwalk.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

Dammit I really keep meaning to stop by and try them too. But I can't get over not being able to get a whole pie thing. I'll never get my husband to like it if it costs us $40 for 3 people and all we get are drinks and a couple slices. I'm sorry but I want a whole pie. It's not practical for a family to eat there otherwise and that's frustrating.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sorry but I want a whole pie.

Me too. If I'm wandering around Fell's Point after a pub crawl, yeah, I might just want a slice to absorb the alcohol. But if I'm really getting pizza, I want a pie. And a large one so there will be leftovers for the next day.