Another Farrier thread

Eventer29

So I am not using my old farrier anymore. Need to find someone new. I had been paying $25 for a trim and $50 for front shoes (had been using this guy for 5 years or so and got a discount for so many horses (18 or so)) I know I was getting a big break. Sis has a friend from the track who is a farrier and seems pretty good. I have seen some of his work. He charges $40 for a trim and $70 for fronts. That seems high to me but is it? I know you get what you pay for, but to me for $40 it oughta be a really really good job by a a very experienced farrier. What is average for this area. Previous to this guy I was using we had used Quinn and Leonard Downs for our boarder's horses. I was not very happy with either of them.
So who comes to the Calvert area? Is affordable, relatively reliable (the guy I was using is a great farrier, except he just kind of showed up when he felt like it, luckily I have a very free schedule and that worked ok.) and is good with horses and people?

highnote

I think 30-40 is the norm for trims around here. I pay 35 now. Its been 10-15 years since I could get a trim for $25.

I

ilovemyappy

I use a wonderful farrier named Tina and she does a fantastic job for the price. She does come to Calvert County.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I use a wonderful farrier named Tina and she does a fantastic job for the price. She does come to Calvert County.

I know I pay $250 for both of my horses. My mare gets all around shoes and gelding gets front. I can't remember how its broken down. It's a little steep but I don't mind because the guy is fantastic. He travels up and down the east coast. He's doing horses in florida and in the hamptons so I know hes good for my guys

covekat

I know I pay $250 for both of my horses. My mare gets all around shoes and gelding gets front. I can't remember how its broken down. It's a little steep but I don't mind because the guy is fantastic. He travels up and down the east coast. He's doing horses in florida and in the hamptons so I know hes good for my guys

Name and number please!!!

SugarNSpikes

I was paying 75$ for front shoes and a trim and honestly, I don't feel like it was as good as it could have been. Hence why I've been looking for a new full time farrier that can get out every 6 weeks.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I pay about 120 for shoes all around. I don't know how much he charges for trims. I do know that 25 for trims was/is lpow

Eventer29

Can you pm me the contact info please ilovemyappy? and any other info you have.
Yeah I expect to pay more than $25 but $40 seemed a little high. I havent been in the market for a farrier for a while. Previous to this last guy we did our own trims and had none with shoes. Now that we have a barn full of TBs we need shoes for show season at least.

Last edited:
C

campinmutt

Can you pm me the contact info please ilovemyappy? and any other info you have.

I use Dan Garner he charges $35 trim...$80 steel fronts $90 for aluminum on the front....worth every penny....

what about Jack Ernhart (sp??)

Eventer29

I'm not sure if Jack is still in the area. I've heard he hasnt been up at the track. Is your boarder still using him?