Another fatality on southern Maryland roads

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't think there is really anything specifically wrong with the intersection, just the people that use it.

I have seen many wrecks there.
:howdy:

Years ago, I was leaving Auntie B's house and waited at the red light so I could turn left from Hermanville to go NB on 235. Light turned green and I started to make my turn, only to have the LEO coming towards me "whoop" his siren at me. I stopped immediately, unknowingly, didn't realize that both traffic ways had a green light. Had he not done so, there probably would have been a collision.

PeoplesElbow

:howdy:

Years ago, I was leaving Auntie B's house and waited at the red light so I could turn left from Hermanville to go NB on 235. Light turned green and I started to make my turn, only to have the LEO coming towards me "whoop" his siren at me. I stopped immediately, unknowingly, didn't realize that both traffic ways had a green light. Had he not done so, there probably would have been a collision.
So everyone had the green light?

PeoplesElbow

No. I was coming off Hermanville and the oncoming traffic from Forrest Park/Gate 3 (?) also did. North and South 235 did not.
Ah ok, ive seen traffic coming from the north turn across traffic not thinking that they did not have an arrow and failed to yield the right away to the traffic traveling straight. Ive seen three wrecks happen for failure to yield over the years right there.

As much as I dislike putting them everywhere a traffic circle could probably help a lot there.

I knew the owner of that first house on forrest park road, he told me he always ended up with crashed cars in his yard.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ah ok, ive seen traffic coming from the north turn across traffic not thinking that they did not have an arrow and failed to yield the right away to the traffic traveling straight. Ive seen three wrecks happen for failure to yield over the years right there.

As much as I dislike putting them everywhere a traffic circle could probably help a lot there.

I knew the owner of that first house on forrest park road, he told me he always ended up with crashed cars in his yard.
This was probably 10 or so years ago.

Perhaps some signs would help. Or a circle. I'm not sure why some people have such problems with them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Went past there just now, still reconstructing. I go through there all the time, but on the bike, I'm super cautious, I would love to see the stats for that intersection, I really thing it's a problem that needs work. Crossing traffic there is always sketchy, never to be trusted. Maybe simply redlighting left turns would help. DO left turns, then red those while straight goes.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't think there is really anything specifically wrong with the intersection, just the people that use it.

I have seen many wrecks there.
I could do a rant on the stupid driving that I see every day, people who drive like they are the only vehicle on the road.
Truck FAILED TO YIELD the right of way.

It seems many think Yield is getting their vehicle in front of your vehicle and forcing you to brake to let them through.
Turns, lanes changes, whatever.

Watched and SUV pull out of Walmart this morning, heading south on 235 (light by Applebees) They went straight for the left hand lane, not come up to speed and move across, no, slowing drive at a acute angle across the roadway until they were in the left lane, then straightened the vehicle out. Even then they didn't bother to accelerate. I'm sure they had a great reason to do it.
Why? Because they weren't speeding and they won't get a ticket for being a hazard.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I remember the days there was No traffic light there.
Driver was 24 but he will probably claim the same thing.

As far as seeing the bike, isn't it a law (and pretty much universal) that when a bike is powered on, the headlamp is lit?
and it was a relatively new bike so I'm going to see it was probably a bright light.
I will give odds that the truck on the other hand did not have lights on, so if lighting and weather were a factor, it would have been the guy on the bike who had trouble seeing the numb skull make the left.