Another NEW Farm Opened up to SMTR Riders

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
AND For the first time ever for SMTR, there will be TWO marked trails!

Sunday November 14, 2010
Double J Stables
Hosted by Judy Dowell Levitt.
2905 Chaneyville Road
Owings, MD - Near Huntingtown

Registration Opens 10:00
Pleasure Riders Out 10:30-11:30

Cost: (which covers farm insurance and farm owner ride split):
SMTR Member $10.00
SMTR Students FREE

Non-Member $20.00
Non-Member Students $10.00

A Ride Flyer is on the SMTR website Welcome to SMTR's Homepage

The blue trail is the easy way, similar to Greenwell. It is about 5 miles and is mostly along the woods edge with lot's of gentle up and down hills and lovely views.

The pink trail is for those among us who are more adventurous! You will navigate a combination of woods edge and in-the-woods trail, with some moderate to steep up and down slopes and some streams. The pink trail is about 7 miles in length so put on those big girl/boy chaps and be sure to use your sharpest eyed trail rider to find those blue ribbons!

The blue and pink trails will overlap in some areas, so your friends who don't take the adventurous route will know you are still going in the right direction. Riders can do both blue and pink trails if they want.

SMTR leads the way again....this is a private farm, completely new for anyone outside the barn and not open to the public outside of our ride!! This is a great opportunity to ride at a location that has never before been available.

Directions:
From Upper Marlboro take Rt 4 south to Rt 2/4 to right at Chaneyville Road towards Northern High School. Less than a mile before the High School turn right into Double J Farm.
From Prince Frederick take Rt 2/4 north to a left onto Chaneyville Road then to right at Farm.

We hope that you can make it out for another SMTR first ride!

Last edited:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Just to make it a little easier to locate the "city" is actually Owings though Chaneyville should work on GPS's.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Uh Oh, is my address wrong? Chaneyville was put on the flyer (I didn't do it), so I'll confirm today. Thx Phyx.

Eventer29

Darn! Wish I had known. I just went to the farm on Monday to do some lessons. Very nice place, though I didnt get to see much. I would have never known there was such a big place there, you cant see a whole lot from the road.

Jlev

We are looking forward to having everyone from SMTR for the ride on Sunday. The address is now correct providing Owings as the city. Also, I just wanted to add that the complete farm owner split portion of the fee is going to be donated to the Freedon Hill Horse Rescue. Hope to see you on Sunday!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Uh Oh, is my address wrong? Chaneyville was put on the flyer (I didn't do it), so I'll confirm today. Thx Phyx.

Chaneyville should work on GPSs but just in case. :)

Were you guys out today getting it ready? I was riding at a friend's on Sam Hill and saw/heard people with horses and chain saws. Hope you all have a great ride!!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Yup that was the SMTR trail development crew.
Its a beautiful farm (talk about serious grass envy :lol:) and surrounding area, and the farm host is also very nice, and super easy to work with.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
J and I went with Happy to mark trails...awesome ride...I felt sorry for the baby deer with the broken neck we found at the bottom of the hill...but super super super ride place and have your big boy pants on when you do the "hard trail"

2baymares

J and I went with Happy to mark trails...awesome ride...I felt sorry for the baby deer with the broken neck we found at the bottom of the hill...but super super super ride place and have your big boy pants on when you do the "hard trail"

We did the "hard trail". We went as far as we could until we ran out of trail. We saw ribbons but no trail. They must of followed a bunny rabbit through the one part and marked it. We couldn't get through so we made our own trail up and out of there.
Farm was beautiful and rest of ride was awesome. I hope Double J hosts more rides in the future.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The chain saw ran out of juice in one area, so that short stretch was passable, but half of it was a bit of a rabbit hole. It will be widened as time goes on, and eventually the whole trail will wander through the gorgeous woods there. I think there will also be a bridge over the second stream crossing.

Paso, appears the fawn died from blue tongue. Bluetongue disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our hosts were wonderful, and I believe they hope to have us back for next year!