another small dog needing a home - Bella

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
Actually I was quite impressed with how well they handled me at the ER. I haven't seen the bill yet so I am sure I may need a tranquilizer once I get the bill in the mail LOL

I'll be getting some lab work done soon, so maybe that will turn up a clue?

Yeah I bet you will probably need a tranquilizer once you get the bill cause when i went for just bloodwork in there lab that bill was over 300.00 with health insurance paying there part.

I am glad u are getting some lab work done soon..Hope it gives u some answers and i hope you start to feel better soon.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We have more information about Bella that should help us find an appropriate placement for her.

Bella weighs 9 lbs. She doesn't like to be brushed and may try to bite you. She has been known to hop up on a chair to get to the dining table to get food on the table. She will potty in her crate if she needs to go potty and you haven't taken her out.

I am hoping that this dog's issues are due to lack of exercise and are correctable since she's only 1 year old. In her favor is her cuteness and her being a purebred JRT with papers. JRT's are smart dogs, so the right person who knows dog training should be able to teach her what is acceptable and what is not. We have already agreed to take her in, so we won't go back on our word. Hopefully someone here will want to foster her to help correct her behavior and/or adopt her.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
We have more information about Bella that should help us find an appropriate placement for her.

Bella weighs 9 lbs. She doesn't like to be brushed and may try to bite you. She has been known to hop up on a chair to get to the dining table to get food on the table. She will potty in her crate if she needs to go potty and you haven't taken her out.

I am hoping that this dog's issues are due to lack of exercise and are correctable since she's only 1 year old. In her favor is her cuteness and her being a purebred JRT with papers. JRT's are smart dogs, so the right person who knows dog training should be able to teach her what is acceptable and what is not. We have already agreed to take her in, so we won't go back on our word. Hopefully someone here will want to foster her to help correct her behavior and/or adopt her.

and should NOT BE placed in a house that has kids of any age. :coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
and should NOT BE placed in a house that has kids of any age. :coffee:

I think I mentioned no kids in a prior post on her. She said that Bella doesn't bother the older kids (12 and up, just snaps at the younger ones). I have a feeling that this 9lb dog managed to get the kids to be afraid of her and she sensed her superiority and went with it?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
PS I am glad the lady was honest enough to tell me what's been going on. Says a lot about her character to me. Unlike some people who make up an excuse why they can't keep the pet then you get a surprise ...... oh so that's why they got rid of you huh?

Hey maybe this would be a good case for Cesar Milan LOL or Larry? You up for a challenge Larry?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We have not found anyone local interested in adopting Bella that would be a suitable home. She is quite the handful for a 9 or 10 lb dog LOL. When she wants to go a certain direction on a walk she digs in and pulls you along <g>. I of course had to stop her from that behavior but she repeats it again within 10 minutes. She's got the attention span of a 3 year old.

We took her to Tractor Supply to get her out and also market her - she likes to meet people. So when someone payed attention to her I mentioned that she was available for adoption. One little girl petted her (so Bella stood in one place for more than 5 seconds lol) and when the girl walked away I noticed spots of blood on the floor behind Bella, oh no ... she's in HEAT! I thought she looked a tad swollen back there. So I cleaned up the mess on the floor and put Bella back in the truck. I had this vision of male dogs running toward us from all directions trying to jump Bella LOL

We have been in contact with a Jack Russell Terrier Rescue. The nearest foster that has space is about 4 hours away near Roanoke, VA. So .... we are currently arranging transport for her to get there this weekend. Bella will be joining 5 other JRT's (that HAS to be one crazy household with 5 JRT's bouncing off the walls LOL). We feel confident that a JRT rescue can best serve as the group to judge who should be allowed to adopt Bella. JRT's are truly a breed that is not for everyone. I'm not a small dog person at all (despite thinking now and then that I want a small dog) and I am reminded of that every time we end up fostering a small dog (yap, yap, yap, run, run run, yap, yap, run). Despite the fact that she is purebred and has papers, we don't want to see her breed. Look at Bella - she's in rescue (could have ended up at the shelter).... enough said.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Good news!!! Yesterday as we were preparing Bella for her trip to VA on Sat., we got word of an approved adopter (by JRT Rescue) in MD for Bella. I spoke to the adopter and she is a show horse enthusiast who lost her prior JRT last year to cancer. Sounds like Bella will fit in after she gets acclimated to horses. I'll work with her on that until she goes to her new home 2 weeks from now. I hope it works out. She has another dog Bella needs to get along with. Bella is very sweet and I'm excited for Bella. :yay:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Good news!!! Yesterday as we were preparing Bella for her trip to VA on Sat., we got word of an approved adopter (by JRT Rescue) in MD for Bella. I spoke to the adopter and she is a show horse enthusiast who lost her prior JRT last year to cancer. Sounds like Bella will fit in after she gets acclimated to horses. I'll work with her on that until she goes to her new home 2 weeks from now. I hope it works out. She has another dog Bella needs to get along with. Bella is very sweet and I'm excited for Bella. :yay:

That is wonderful news. Hope she enjoys her new home. Her picture reminded me of the dog in the movie Mask with that somewhat large head.

Also do you happen to know of anyone who works with the feral cat rescue in St. Mary's that sometimes shows pets at Petco? I am trying to find out if a certain cat was adopted. She had been picked up at the shelter.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

How is Bella working out in her new home?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
How is Bella working out in her new home?

She's not there yet. Was spayed at HS on Monday, and needed to stay calm and have little activity until today (and she's on pain pills too). The adopter had some things going on for the next couple of days, so we will talk on Sunday to set a date/time for us to deliver Bella next week and see how she reacts to their special rescue dog. Hopefully Bella will react well to the dog so she can stay for the rest of her trial run.

I'll honestly be glad when Bella goes to her new home. Having a JRT around that is hyped up all the time is wearing on me. I'm obviously not a small-hyped-up-dog-lover LOL Apparently hyped-up dogs run in circles a lot ... she wraps the leash around me when we go on walks ... um hello Bella, I'm all tied up now and can't move my legs LOL

mamatutu

mama to two
She's not there yet. Was spayed at HS on Monday, and needed to stay calm and have little activity until today (and she's on pain pills too). The adopter had some things going on for the next couple of days, so we will talk on Sunday to set a date/time for us to deliver Bella next week and see how she reacts to their special rescue dog. Hopefully Bella will react well to the dog so she can stay for the rest of her trial run.

I'll honestly be glad when Bella goes to her new home. Having a JRT around that is hyped up all the time is wearing on me. I'm obviously not a small-hyped-up-dog-lover LOL Apparently hyped-up dogs run in circles a lot ... she wraps the leash around me when we go on walks ... um hello Bella, I'm all tied up now and can't move my legs LOL

:lol: My Cookie (shepherd/akita) used to do that; she was not a leash dog. I miss her so, and my Oreo (black lab/greyhound) . We had them for 13 years; adopted on the same day, and they died 6 months apart. I wish I could adopt every dog that you post on this forum, but I can't. We have two 11 year old cats (one deaf and a nutcase) that we got two years after the dogs, but now could not tolerate the introduction of new dogs. All came from Tri-County. If I wanted to reek havoc on the cats, I would keep adopting, but, honestly, my old heart cannot take the loss of a beloved pet, anymore. You are the greatest that you try so hard to find these endearing animals a home. You go, girl! And, God bless you.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Well Bella didn't work out with her new playmate. They said if they did not have the special needs dog, they would keep Bella for sure. The special needs dog wasn't able to play as much as Bella wanted to play, and Bella would not take no for an answer.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Well Bella didn't work out with her new playmate. They said if they did not have the special needs dog, they would keep Bella for sure. The special needs dog wasn't able to play as much as Bella wanted to play, and Bella would not take no for an answer.

Does Bella get along with cats? And besides walking does she play ball or anything like that?

sockgirl77

Bella has no known interactions with cats. With me trying to get over the flu, I am not sure when I could assist with an introduction to Bella and her current family. Last I knew she was located in Laurel, that being the case, I can put people in touch with Bella's family so they can arrange a meeting this week or .....

If I am better by next week (I should be) I'd be happy to pick Bella up and bring her to whoever wants to meet her.
:ohwell:

Does Bella get along with cats? And besides walking does she play ball or anything like that?

Dakota

~~~~~~~

I saw that but was curious if she has tested her and perhaps allowed some interaction with cats since her early days... although it can get a little tricky when JRT's are not raised with cats because of their high energy... wanting to hunt and harass them. The JRT I have was not raised with cats but quickly got along with ours, although she has made it clear she is the queen.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
She chases cats. Wants to eat them I think.

Yep... typical of JRT's not raised with cats. I have a female JRT now and she would pull my cats tail and drag him around the kitchen floor. It took a while before she learned to be nice and sadly, he was a wuss that never stood up for himself. She never bothered my other cat.... not sure why.

She's adorable and I'm sure she'll find a home.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yep... typical of JRT's not raised with cats. I have a female JRT now and she would pull my cats tail and drag him around the kitchen floor. It took a while before she learned to be nice and sadly, he was a wuss that never stood up for himself. She never bothered my other cat.... not sure why.

She's adorable and I'm sure she'll find a home.

The lady said she was really sweet and very cute. Looks like she needs a more active or a younger playmate. She ran all over the yard there and had a good time for a while.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Oh and she noted how thin Bella is. She eats half a cup 2 times a day so maybe she needs a third meal each day?