Any DIY Computer Builders Out There?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to build. Hoping to stay within a $1500 budget. Main thing is deciding between a AMD Ryzen or Intel Core CPU and AMD Radeon or Nvidia GPU. Motherboards, storage, RAM, etc seem to fall in place after that.

Has anyone built their own computer lately or are in the process? Would like to hear about your build.

PeoplesElbow

I was going to say me, but it turns out the last rig I built was in 2012 and I'm still using it.

I've been using the same cooler master case for almost 20 years now, always stick to certain brands of components Gigabit MBs, crucial memory and now SDDs, Antec power supplies.

I did AMD once and just didn't think things were built as nicely as Intel. The last AMD I did was an Athalon II, the damn cooler was warped on it.

I also avoid SIS chip sets like the plague, had a few burn up on me, Intel is the only way to go for chip sets.

Toxick

Splat
I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to build. Hoping to stay within a $1500 budget. Main thing is deciding between a AMD Ryzen or Intel Core CPU and AMD Radeon or Nvidia GPU. Motherboards, storage, RAM, etc seem to fall in place after that.

Has anyone built their own computer lately or are in the process? Would like to hear about your build.

I put this baby together earlier this year.

It has a Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core processor in it. 32Gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. It was around 1200 USD. I play games on it, and the performance is exceptional even with max resolution and detail settings applied in the game. But mainly I write games (and other apps) on it, so I need that performance. I am very happy with this although at first I was nervous about straying from Intel.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I was going to say me, but it turns out the last rig I built was in 2012 and I'm still using it.

I've been using the same cooler master case for almost 20 years now, always stick to certain brands of components Gigabit MBs, crucial memory and now SDDs, Antec power supplies.

I did AMD once and just didn't think things were built as nicely as Intel. The last AMD I did was an Athalon II, the damn cooler was warped on it.

I also avoid SIS chip sets like the plague, had a few burn up on me, Intel is the only way to go for chip sets.

It's been about that long for me as well. I'm finding out that a lot has changed during that time. AMD's Ryzen CPUs are getting top reviews and tend to be less expensive than Intel but I really do like Intel. The main chipsets these days are the B550 or x570 for AMD and z390 or z490 for Intel. Intel tends to change their socket more often than AMD which limits upgrade capabilities of the motherboards. I'm finding the hardware is usually a choice between MSI, Gigabit, Crucial, Asrock, and Asus. Cases are Fractal, Corsair, Cooler master. I've been using pcPartPicker to try price out different configs.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I put this baby together earlier this year.

View attachment 148946

It has a Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core processor in it. 32Gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. It was around 1200 USD. I play games on it, and the performance is exceptional even with max resolution and detail settings applied in the game. But mainly I write games (and other apps) on it, so I need that performance. I am very happy with this although at first I was nervous about straying from Intel.

The R5 3600 is one of the CPUs I'm thinking about. It gets nothing but good reviews and benchmarks so I'm not surprised to hear that you're happy with it. Plus, it's pricing at $167 right now. For graphics, I'm sorta leaning towards the Radeon 5700X or the Nvidia RTX 2060. What motherboard did you pair up with you 3600?

Toxick

Splat
The R5 3600 is one of the CPUs I'm thinking about. It gets nothing but good reviews and benchmarks so I'm not surprised to hear that you're happy with it. Plus, it's pricing at $167 right now.

I think that's about what I paid.

For graphics, I'm sorta leaning towards the Radeon 5700X or the Nvidia RTX 2060. What motherboard did you pair up with you 3600?

This:

It's pretty flashy, and you may or may not be into that. Since I got the glass tower and got LED's and stuff, I figured I wouldn't scrimp on the flash when it came to the motherboard either. I dont' think it is any more expensive than more standard looking motherboards.

EDIT: I sent the link for the Intel one... this is the one I have...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

From 2018

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z370
Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition Gaming Sound Card and DAC
Thermaltake View 71 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty,
Zotic GTXC 1070

I skipped buying a 1080, because I am still gaming at 1080 Res. I have not moved up to 1440 or 4K

awpitt

Main Streeter
From 2018

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z370
Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition Gaming Sound Card and DAC
Thermaltake View 71 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty,
Zotic GTXC 1070

I skipped buying a 1080, because I am still gaming at 1080 Res. I have not moved up to 1440 or 4K

Thanks for the list. My oldest son built one using the i7 8700K and a Nvidia 1060. He's really happy with it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Thanks for the list. My oldest son built one using the i7 8700K and a Nvidia 1060. He's really happy with it.

You are welcome .. it plays everything I through at it Ultra Settings

PUBG
Anno 1800
Div 2
Stellaris
Civ IV

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
can you wait a bit longer ... the 3080 is around the corner 600 bucks - estimated

100% faster that a 2080 [ no testring as of yet,. but a new architecture ]

awpitt

Main Streeter
can you wait a bit longer ... the 3080 is around the corner 600 bucks - estimated

100% faster that a 2080 [ no testring as of yet,. but a new architecture ]

I'm actually thinking about that. Either the 3080 or the the 3070, which is supposed to be $500.