Any Good Books?

nomoney

Anyone out there reading anything really good? I'm reading The Dome by Stephen King right now but going through it faster then I thought and I've got Lovely Bones next in line. Any other reccomendations? Looking to download some good e books right now with a coupon I've got.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten

Before that it was Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Is that his latest? God, those books are both funny and totally messed up.

Yes. It focuses more on his coming up years, prior to Running With Scissors, then skips that part to after that, and later in life. I am not quite finished with it yet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How was that? I picked it up the other day and put it back down, wasn't sure if I'd like it.

was that good? I heard that it was "eh"..moselty beacause the author died during the middle of writing it.

It was good but unlike anything I've read by him before. It's a swashbuckling tale with no weighty subject to ponder, more of a mindless entertainment read. I enjoyed it but it didn't keep me up nights because I was so absorbed in the plot.

puggymom

Anyone out there reading anything really good? I'm reading The Dome by Stephen King right now but going through it faster then I thought and I've got Lovely Bones next in line. Any other reccomendations? Looking to download some good e books right now with a coupon I've got.

I just finished the Lovely Bones. It was good.

jen8753

I have garlic breath.
If you are a dog person, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein was really, really good.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I rarely read contemporary novels..with a few exceptions I just can't get into them.

I always tell people to read Faulkner. My southern Lit class really cultivated my love for him. I like "light in August" "the sound and the fury" and "as I lay dying"

And Flannery O'connor's short stories are really neat..kind of dark..interesting reads.

As for newer books...I liked Ellen Foster....:coffee:

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I picked this up today, read the first 15-20 pages. Normally I read in bed at night, but I don't think I'll be able to read this one at night, I can't imagine the nightmares it may cause. If you like a scary/weird book, this one is definitely for you. (Well at least from what I can tell by what I've read so far, but this is Stephen King, 'nough said).

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I know there is a more recent book review thread. I was unable to locate it. So my review is going here.

Shipwrecked by Mishka Shubaly.

Amazon's take on the book:
In the Year of the Shark, a chance encounter between a ne'er-do-well writer and a tropical storm left him marooned on the deserted end of a Caribbean island and charged with the rescue of his four shipmates. There, Mishka Shubaly learned some valuable life lessons — among them that in the absence of whiskey, wine and water, urine will get the job done.

This is the 3rd book I've read by this author. He is a recovering substance abuser. It shows in his writings. It leans towards the dark side. I find him interesting and his writing enjoyable. It helps that his books aren't terribly long. He gets to the point quickly, so you don't have to wade through a bunch of words to get what he is trying to describe.

51sLld9LloL.jpg

Long story short. A sailboat trip ends up with them crashing into some rocks during a storm. They make it to an island. He volunteers to walk to find help. He's got a gallon of water to take. It runs out fast. Most of the text are the thoughts that run through his head while he wanders in the heat for rescue. Since he wrote a book, you can figure out how it ends.

I'm always curious to see how a book I enjoy is valued by other readers. 101 amazon readers rate it 3.4. So there is a love/dislike relationship with the book.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Slow start, but a great mystery. I had no idea until the end.

Last edited: