Any minimalists in SoMd?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Y'all are making me hyperventilate.

my books! my yarn! my patterns! my holiday decorations! my kitchen gadgets!

nopenopenopenopenope

Hubby has been spending this week purging in the garage. He is a minimalist at heart, but he sure loves his tools.

Reactions: rio

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Y'all are making me hyperventilate.

my books! my yarn! my patterns! my holiday decorations! my kitchen gadgets!

nopenopenopenopenope

Hubby has been spending this week purging in the garage. He is a minimalist at heart, but he sure loves his tools.
That is the good thing about decluttering/minimalism. You get to decide what to keep. If you use it, keep it. My weakness is holiday decor. The closet under the stairs is full of it. I do manage to find some stuff to part with when I am getting ready to change out the decor. Normally if I didn't put it out last season and don't plan on doing it this time either, it's gone. I got rid of a bunch of Christmas decor last year that hadn't been used in a while. Most of it was stuff from when my boys were little like an animated snowman. They enjoyed that stuff back then. They are 20 and 17 and are pretty much over cutesy stuff now.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
All of my possessions fit into my 288 sq ft tiny home, which I lived in until I met my boyfriend.
Now that I'm living in a smaller place, I'd like to hear about your tiny home. I have to admit <300 sqft really puts the tiny in tiny home.

rio

Definitely not a minimalist, but not quite ready to be on Hoarders either. I like cozy, homey, vintage/antique. I can easiIy find room for family treasures, but only buy what I know I'll use or have a specific place for it to brighten. If I'm tired of something, know I'm not going to use it again, or won't refurbish it I have no problem getting rid of it.
So maybe I'm a minimal pack rat?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:roflmao: same with mine.

What I thought would be a 2 day project turned out to be a week earlier this year We took everything out of our garage and put an epoxy floor down. Everything we had was out in the driveway so my husband and I went though it. Our neighbors are well aware we fight bad when it comes to our garage and checked on us often. The first day was a MF but after that, it got better and he was very happy with the end result.

I won't lie, I had the same issues with my clothes closet but have to give him credit, he left me alone to sort it all out. I have now donated 9-33 gallon bags of clothes, shoes, and purses this year. ;)

Getting started was the hardest part for us but with our kids out of our house, we knew it was time to downsize.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Did you do this yourselves, or contract? I want to have it done too, but haven't researched companies.

I think we spent $250.00. We got a RockSolid garage kit. We did it ourselves after reading the instructions and watching youtube vidoes.

It looks so much better than what it did before and it was very easy to do. The hardest part wasn't clearing the garage, it was putting it all back and sorting it. :roflmao:

wittykitty

Now that I'm living in a smaller place, I'd like to hear about your tiny home. I have to admit <300 sqft really puts the tiny in tiny home.
Sure thing. It’s got all the comforts of home, just smaller! I have ceilings that are 12ft, and really opens up the space:) There’s a bedroom which fits my Queen bed, nightstand, open closet, and a shelving unit of baskets where I keep folded clothes.

Full bathroom with walk-in shower and a tankless HWH which I really like!

My “kitchen” is integrated into my living room area, and I have a cabinet of smaller appliances, such as a 20x16 convection oven. It bakes anything I need to, including cakes and such. If I want to cook a big ole turkey, I cook it outdoors. I’m an outdoors person and that’s where my collection of cooking appliances are. Winner winner. No frying stinky greasy bacon in my house.

My lil home has a loft, and a front porch as well, and plenty of room for having morning coffee.
I have to admit that I wish I had just a little bit more space to move around, but overall I am still very pleased with my home. Oh, and I installed a half ton heat pump. I used rock wool insulation, and my home actually feels frigid at a mere 77°.
I also designed it to be solar passive, but that’s another can of worms. I could go on about my project until the cows come home!

I consider my efforts to be a success because I think carefully about how I use my space, and almost everything isn’t permanently fixed so that I may rearrange my ideas. I like to rearrange and reorganize, and my exhusband used to joke that he never knew what to expect when he came home😆
I’ve made a few choices that really saved space, such as using a projector instead of a tv. Also, I keep most of my extra things in storage in a shed, and I think carefully about my purchases. Most of my kitchen tools are multi-purpose, and I don’t ever buy hoarding quantities of toilet paper.

Are you considering a tiny home? Whatever I can help with, let me know!
How is your smaller-space living going?