Any one Doing Some Horse Show this Year???

fredsaid2

If you're doing MSA don't forget to pre-register by Feb 28th to get a $5 discount. Plus, pre-enter 2 weeks before the show or you may not get your classes. A lot of classes were closed to those trying to enter the day of.

MDSaddle

Have fun and good luck!

K

KerryAnn1

I'm going to try to hit up the shows in Va. When I go, I want to make a weekend of it...get a hotel- the hole 9 yards. If anyone wants to go with me I have a 6 horse slant load and welcome the company!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Katie

KerryAnn1 said:
I'm going to try to hit up the shows in Va. When I go, I want to make a weekend of it...get a hotel- the hole 9 years. If anyone wants to go with me I have a 6 horse slant load and welcome the company!

I think it would be fun to just watch. Are you doing the dressage shows or hunter shows?

fredsaid2

Katie said:
I think it would be fun to just watch. Are you doing the dressage shows or hunter shows?

If you want to spectate go to HITS in Culpeper. Your head will be on a swivel checking out all the gorgeous horses and ponies. Then catch the Grand Prix and watch all those riders in action you read about. Lodging fills up early so plan accordingly!

Last edited:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
If the division weren't so redundant at MSA maybe the division wouldn't be so full. Having FOUR Walk/Trot division a Rider and Horse/Pony can go in at one show is a little much. Sounds like they need to take a look at there division and revamp there current classes on the English side.

The Horse division are so Full because the Juniors are riding against the Adults in the Packed Low & Schooling Divisions because they don't have a choice. What happened to a Children's or Junior Hunter Division. For the Adult a Low Amatuer and/or Adult Amateur Division so they don't have to show against the PRO'S bringing there horses to the show. It would be more classes, but it would allow more people the option to show at MSA. If the more competitive associations like HOWARD COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION, BALTIMORE COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION, and HARFORD COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION can do it I don't know why MSA can't?

I sure would be mad if I showed up at a Local Show and was told a Division was closed because of to many entries. There not the Capital Challege or the Washington International.

BZHorseMomE

Culpepper is GREAT, but the Four Day Rated shows in March, April, and September at SHOW PLACE are nice and not as far to drive. Not to mention the CAPITAL CHALLENGE which is awesome and FREE. Watching Kent Farrington when the big Jumper class this past year aboard "Madison" doesn't get any better.

fredsaid2

BZHorseMomE said:
If the division weren't so redundant at MSA maybe the division wouldn't be so full. Having FOUR Walk/Trot division a Rider and Horse/Pony can go in at one show is a little much. Sounds like they need to take a look at there division and revamp there current classes on the English side.

The Horse division are so Full because the Juniors are riding against the Adults in the Packed Low & Schooling Divisions because they don't have a choice. What happened to a Children's or Junior Hunter Division. For the Adult a Low Amatuer and/or Adult Amateur Division so they don't have to show against the PRO'S bringing there horses to the show. It would be more classes, but it would allow more people the option to show at MSA. If the more competitive associations like HOWARD COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION, BALTIMORE COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION, and HARFORD COUNTY HORSE SHOW ASSOCIATION can do it I don't know why MSA can't?

I sure would be mad if I showed up at a Local Show and was told a Division was closed because of to many entries. There not the Capital Challege or the Washington International.

MSA is a packed show and does cater to what the participants want. There are a lot of trainers who bring their young riders and so you have lots of w and w/t classes. If you want Childrens Hunter and Jr Eq show on saturday at the "C" show. Sundays are mostly for the lesson barns and those who are comfortable at 2'6". They are a good group and try hard to put on a quality show. They're always willing to take suggestions. If enough want to decrease the w/t and divide up the schooling and lows I'm sure they'd take the suggestions seriously.

BZHorseMomE

I've just heard talk from some of the Lesson/Larger show barns that they are looking for a different Association to show with in 2007. They would love to show Howard or Baltimore county, but many of the Horses/Riders at those shows are more competitive then the Saturday MSA C shows. With "A" Rated Horses/Riders.
Plus if you want to show MSA and get points towards year end, showing in the MHSA "C" Rated show wouldn't help. Then how do they handle the whole RAIN CANCELATION thing if you've pre-entered & paid for a stall?? I'm not trying to knock what the board for MSA is doing, but divisions being closed before the show is even held is crazy.
I know it is a MONEY making thing, but should the association really be catering to the Lesson Barns only or are they the only ones on the board????? Also do the lesson barns really need to send a single horse/rider combination in 3 or 4 Walk/Trot division (for a total of 9 to 12 classes a day)???

BZHorseMomE

I would think the Local Show Barns would want more Children's Hunter, Junior Hunter, Adult Amateur division for there clients to be more successful and not have to show against the Professionals that may show in the Low, Schooling, Green, and Working Hunter Horse Divisions?

fredsaid2

Closing divisions is really to keep the show from running until 11pm or later. We've not left the grounds until 10pm many times. That makes for one heck of a long day when you have to trailer home and unload. I like that they restrict class sizes. You can register for the entire series at one time if you like to makes sure you don't miss out on the classes you want.

Part of MSA's problem is how much they've grown in the past few years. More of the A barns are coming for sat and even staying for sun. As far as weather cancellations I don't remember one, you either ride or scratch. I also think the lessons barns get more say because they are more vocal and attend the meetings. May not be the best for all showing but it is democratic : )

I think your idea of dividing up some of the 2'6" divisions is a good one. Theoratically it wouldn't take much more time and would keep kids from showing against adults. You should send your idea to the board.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I want a decent schooling show that I can take my "green" horse in without the expense of a rated show in this area (particularly ST. Mary's Co). Maybe I just haven't gotten out enough. SMHA & MSA have been the closest decent shows that I have been to in the area. I did go to MSA and was told that the classes that I wanted to go in were closed. I was shocked. I then read the sheet that estimated the show to be over at 6 AM. We really need more schooling shows close by!

fredsaid2

FrmGrl said:
I want a decent schooling show that I can take my "green" horse in without the expense of a rated show in this area (particularly ST. Mary's Co). Maybe I just haven't gotten out enough. SMHA & MSA have been the closest decent shows that I have been to in the area. I did go to MSA and was told that the classes that I wanted to go in were closed. I was shocked. I then read the sheet that estimated the show to be over at 6 AM. We really need more schooling shows close by!

Locally your options are AMIT, Flat Iron and HP with MW's flat classes in the summer. You might look into the local pony club and pick up some of their jumper shows. There are TWA shows in VA at Hazelwild that are not much further from us than PG. Very nice rings and courses.

BZHorseMomE

To bad we can't start a Tri County Horse Show Association. Seems to me there are more Private Barns as well as County Facilities that could support another show circuit. Like I said in an earlier post some of the Show Barns that have gone to MSA are looking for another Circuit to show at with a more varied class selection like you would find at the Rated shows.

Fred I'll have to check out the VA Circuit. Do you have a website for them??

I'll I know is when I moved down to So. MD in the 90's Show Barns, indoor rings, etc. were none existent. With alot of hardwork and effort from the local horse community things have sure changed!!!!