Any reloaders out there?

Bigpops92

Tossing the idea around of purchasing a Dillon 550B or XL 650. Mostly loading 40 S&W, and eventually 22-250 and 7mm Rem Mag. Figure approx 500rounds a month.

Any suggestions?

I am brand new to this.

Thanks!

HunterJJD

Walk before you run. Also compare the cost of ammo to dies, press, time and the issues with buying primmers right now.
One cal is not worth buying a progressive press for and they are not good for rifles calibers

Bigpops92

thanks

Walk before you run. Also compare the cost of ammo to dies, press, time and the issues with buying primmers right now.
One cal is not worth buying a progressive press for and they are not good for rifles calibers

what is the deal with primers right now?

Nice avatar!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I say go for it, especially if you have time for a new hobby and you plan on loading multiple calibers. I wish I had room and time for one.

Bigpops92

I say go for it, especially if you have time for a new hobby and you plan on loading multiple calibers. I wish I had room and time for one.

I like the idea of building my own loads and fine tuning. I do it with my arrows, my muzzleloader, etc.

Might as well have some more toys right? :buddies:

HunterJJD

what is the deal with primers right now?

Nice avatar!

you can find some in shops that don't move many but they can't make enough for loaded ammo so they are not selling any.

I know someone will say that so and so has some. Try buying a few K of them Or Match or the ones you want.

It cost a lot of money to get set up in reloading.

Also start now buying books on reloading and better shooting tips. once you can shoot better then your ammo then start custom loading.

I load from 14 cals up to 50 cal. Trust me I know what I am talking about

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Do you do any reloading right now?

Loading 500 rounds one round at a time in a C frame or O frame press would suck! :lol:

I started off with a Lee press and used it to make small batches of .40SW and .223. A friend let me use his 650 to crank out enough rounds for matches every month after I figured out loads that were most accurate in my guns.

Bigpops92

you can find some in shops that don't move many but they can't make enough for loaded ammo so they are not selling any.

I know someone will say that so and so has some. Try buying a few K of them Or Match or the ones you want.

It cost a lot of money to get set up in reloading.

Also start now buying books on reloading and better shooting tips. once you can shoot better then your ammo then start custom loading.

I load from 14 cals up to 50 cal. Trust me I know what I am talking about

Thanks for the advice......now about that avatar of yours!:drool:

Bigpops92

Do you do any reloading right now?

Loading 500 rounds one round at a time in a C frame or O frame press would suck! :lol:

I started off with a Lee press and used it to make small batches of .40SW and .223. A friend let me use his 650 to crank out enough rounds for matches every month after I figured out loads that were most accurate in my guns.

nope...i am a virgin

jrt_ms1995

Agree with HunterJJD. You'll also have time and cost to consider in developing loads, and you can produce 10 rounds with 10 different powder charges with a single stage press nearly as quickly (or maybe quicker) as with a progressive, but without the cost of a progressive. If you want one because you want one, that's fine, but you'll have to shoot a lot (regularly, not just a lot now followed by loss of interest) to justify it strictly from an economics point of view. And, even if progressives were more suited to rifle cartridges, how much are you actually going to be able to shoot through those rifles around this area, anyway? Once you develop a load you like, that's pretty much it and 100/year thereafter is likely more than enough, unless you shoot competitively.

I still have unfired cartridges I loaded (on an RCBS Rockchucker) in the mid-80s; anyone care for some .270 Win with 90 gr Sierra hollow points?

Bigpops92

Agree with HunterJJD. You'll also have time and cost to consider in developing loads, and you can produce 10 rounds with 10 different powder charges with a single stage press nearly as quickly (or maybe quicker) as with a progressive, but without the cost of a progressive. If you want one because you want one, that's fine, but you'll have to shoot a lot (regularly, not just a lot now followed by loss of interest) to justify it strictly from an economics point of view. And, even if progressives were more suited to rifle cartridges, how much are you actually going to be able to shoot through those rifles around this area, anyway? Once you develop a load you like, that's pretty much it and 100/year thereafter is likely more than enough, unless you shoot competitively.

I still have unfired cartridges I loaded (on an RCBS Rockchucker) in the mid-80s; anyone care for some .270 Win with 90 gr Sierra hollow points?

Hmmmm, thanks for the advice

SPF001

I have a single stage and it works great. I only reload .44, 30/30 and 12 gauge on a diffrent reloader. I used to shoot alot and .44 was expensive so being cheap this is what I did. First time trying get a load cook book to give you diffrent loads and a starting point. For the first year I used up all my 1 lbs. cans of powder and when I settled on a load I just bought it in the 8 lbs. tub and primers in lots of 5K.

Since my boys were born my time seems to have disapeared but I still have the piece of mind knowing I can make 10K rounds of .44 and 5K of 12 gauge if needed.

J and M

Tossing the idea around of purchasing a Dillon 550B or XL 650. Mostly loading 40 S&W, and eventually 22-250 and 7mm Rem Mag. Figure approx 500rounds a month.

Any suggestions?

I am brand new to this.

Thanks!

I have a Dillon Square Deal that I no longer use. I have dies for the .40, .45, and 9mm. I have not realoaded in some time and was considering selling everything. I have everything you would need to reload. You would, however, need to check on Dillon's website to see if you could load rifle with this one.

Also, if you have decided to go with a bigger loader, I have a friend who has a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles. I know he has dies for the .40 and .38 Super. He wanted to sell everything as a package (guns, holsters, reloader, etc.), but he may decide to just sell the reloader seperately.

Oh, and I think i have a few thousand primers (small and large pistol) laying around and some casings if you're interested.

R

RadioPatrol

I have a single stage and it works great.

I bought a "1936 Mosin Nagant" at the height of the cold war in 1985 from a fellow Solider ..... the only Ammo available was NORMA @ 19.95 for a 20 rnd box, and when the local gun store got a load of surplus in (remember this was before the cheap 7.62 Russian, that was a few yrs off ), I bought every round the guy had left .... Yugoslavian 1976 7.62x54r Lead Core Heavy Ball

Ultimately I invested $ 20 bucks in a Lee Single Stage, a box of CCI Magnum Rifle Primers (still have most of the BOX) and a can of IMR 3030 and I was off to the races ...... I used surplus .30 cal bullets - they have that grove in the bullet - but mostly Sierra 180g SP in .310 [.308 is too sloppy for the Mosins most will swage @ .310 - .312 I am told] ..... anyway loads of fun I reloaded my few Norma Shells at least 5 times and some of the surplus shells they were reload able not that Euro Spec Crap .... I even got a case trimmer .... of course all that got shelved in the early 90's when Ammo was cheap ....

:cartwheel

Bigpops92

I have a Dillon Square Deal that I no longer use. I have dies for the .40, .45, and 9mm. I have not realoaded in some time and was considering selling everything. I have everything you would need to reload. You would, however, need to check on Dillon's website to see if you could load rifle with this one.

Also, if you have decided to go with a bigger loader, I have a friend who has a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles. I know he has dies for the .40 and .38 Super. He wanted to sell everything as a package (guns, holsters, reloader, etc.), but he may decide to just sell the reloader seperately.

Oh, and I think i have a few thousand primers (small and large pistol) laying around and some casings if you're interested.

Sorry for the late response. I have decided to wait on the reloader...to busy buying more guns!