any tips on loading?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
bhoffman said:
we just got a staight load trailer and my horse is used to a slant load any suggestions?

Should not be a problem if he is a good loader though sometimes they get on and won't get off. :jameo:

devinej

do a practice session with him before you actually have to take him somewhere - teach him its fun to get on and off on and off on and off. treats are good! generally its not a big deal if he already knows how to load in another trailer

DQ2B

bhoffman said:
we just got a staight load trailer and my horse is used to a slant load any suggestions?

Does he/she normally self load? If they load in one trailer, they should load in another. Lead up to the back of the trailer, halt and put the lead over their withers and let them walk in by themselves, put the butt bar up and then go around front to attend to the other end. One difference I've found is that if they're backing out of a step-up I always teach them to step down on cue when they reach the edge of the step up so that they don't have to guess where the drop off is or risk banging cannon bones and such.

mingiz

Horse Poor
If he has hauled good it really shouldn't bother him. When I got Fat Pony she was hauled in a 2h bp straight load. I hauled her home in a bp stock so no problems, Then she was in another 2h straight load gn and did great. I got a 2h Slant gn now and she loads fine but she perfers the straight load better as she will paw in the slant. She loves the stock because she turns facing the back and you don't even know she is back there. My next trailer will be a stock combo for sure. I like my horses to have good fresh air and I don't think the enclosed trailers have enough ventilation even with all windows & vents open. I don't have bars on the drop down windows, so I don't know how much differrence it makes with the windows open. Any opinions on this? :howdy: