Anybody ever build a fire pit?

SamSpade

For years we've simply had a "burn pile" since our yard is constantly barraged with dropped branches (it's a big yard). In fact, a couple large trees are likely THIS close to dead, and have been dropping whole boughs. So I figured, why not go another step and make a large fire PIT where we could sit around a ring in the evenings?

I am not looking for one of those tiny little things you see people putting on their patios. We plan to have something more akin to a permanent campfire spot, but I am thinking a brick wall around it. What do I need? Can I just get a bunch of pavers and build a wall? Will I need anything else?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Lowes sells kits with a ring and landscape blocks, but I think those are only 36" ID. I built mine from leftover brick from my house construction. I didn't use fire rated brick and they are cracking and crumbling.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For years we've simply had a "burn pile" since our yard is constantly barraged with dropped branches (it's a big yard). In fact, a couple large trees are likely THIS close to dead, and have been dropping whole boughs. So I figured, why not go another step and make a large fire PIT where we could sit around a ring in the evenings?

I am not looking for one of those tiny little things you see people putting on their patios. We plan to have something more akin to a permanent campfire spot, but I am thinking a brick wall around it. What do I need? Can I just get a bunch of pavers and build a wall? Will I need anything else?

Vince and I built mine at the house.

It was I think two days of work, including the gathering of materials and going back to get stuff we forgot. Here's how, complete with pics:

Mine didn't have the bowl, just extra deep sand covering the ground. I also had my fire ring custom made by an Amish guy in Mechanicsville. I don't remember the name but Vince might.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PS, you DO need a tamper. I was like, "We don't need a tamper." Vince: "YES we do."

Turned out we needed the tamper. :lol: Borrow one if you can because it's a unitasker that I never used again.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
PS, you DO need a tamper. I was like, "We don't need a tamper." Vince: "YES we do."

Turned out we needed the tamper. :lol: Borrow one if you can because it's a unitasker that I never used again.
You mean a dirt tamper like this?

I have one I've been looking to get rid of.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My neighbor uses the perforated drum from a washing machine, stands it off the ground on some bricks. Works really well.

We took washing machine drums to the offroad events for years...used to have an unlimited supply of free ones when Sanners Appliance was still in business. Pro Tip: Drill a couple holes in the ring around the top of the drum to make sure no water is trapped inside. It's hollow..and it might have gotten filled with water over the years. What happens to the entire drum full of fire when the water trapped in that ring turns to steam and blows out through a small rupture can be very impressive. Nothing like a drum full of burning wood and hot coals taking off and canterwheeling wildly all over the camping area...

SamSpade

Well the tips were useful - but - I am planning to make a rather LARGE fire pit - like maybe 8 to 10 feet in diameter - or more.
So it may take a bit longer than a weekend.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Well the tips were useful - but - I am planning to make a rather LARGE fire pit - like maybe 8 to 10 feet in diameter - or more.
So it may take a bit longer than a weekend.
I had one built 8' diameter. Put in a pad, hired a brick layer. Make sure you put in drain holes so you don't have a swimming pool

DogWhisperer

Used the pavers from Lowes shaped somewhat like a "v". They form a perfect circle of about four feet. Leave space in between the pavers for air. Use sand and bluestone for drainage and leveling. The pavers have lasted us about 15 years with no breaks. I still would like to level the ground around the pit for better seating but we get by. Try and lay them out in a circle at Lowe's to see how you like it before committing.

SamSpade

Used the pavers from Lowes shaped somewhat like a "v". They form a perfect circle of about four feet. Leave space in between the pavers for air. Use sand and bluestone for drainage and leveling. The pavers have lasted us about 15 years with no breaks. I still would like to level the ground around the pit for better seating but we get by. Try and lay them out in a circle at Lowe's to see how you like it before committing.

Are all of those pavers suitable for fire pit making? They're all labelled as intended for a retaining wall.

Grumpy

Are all of those pavers suitable for fire pit making? They're all labelled as intended for a retaining wall.
I've used them for firepits before, no issues..I have a stack of them (100-200) behind my shed that were given to me.

SamSpade

I am kind of wondering how useful the adhesive mentioned in the video is going to be. The other day I was cleaning it out and found a solidified puddle of metal - some of the stuff put in the fire must have been metal and melted to the bottom. Gives me an idea of just HOW HOT it gets in there.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Sam,

We just bought a bunch of landscaping bricks and stacked them around in a circle. Didn't do anything fancy and it works great. We want to make it bigger, so we'll just go buy more bricks. I will send a pic of ours to you.