anybody have a Nelson waterer?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I have one that we installed a year and a half ago and it just stop refilling..
I've called Nelson and they said it sounded like the bottom bowl was cracked and slowly leaking and it needed to be replaced... I am a little skeptical because it's a heated waterer and I believe it shouldn't do that. But the guy on the other end said that since we had freezing temps this year that it could very well do that. And... that I could order a new one from them.:eyebrow:
I can't find my paperwork on the thing to see what to do and about warranties or anything.
Has anyone had any troubles with their waterers?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
We installed three Ritchie waterers and never had one minute's trouble all winter. Thanks Clinton Anderson.
I know a farm that had about 20 Nelson's installed by the company and every one froze the first year they did it. That's why we got the Ritchies.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
happyappygirl said:
We installed three Ritchie waterers and never had one minute's trouble all winter. Thanks Clinton Anderson.
I know a farm that had about 20 Nelson's installed by the company and every one froze the first year they did it. That's why we got the Ritchies.

You know... I was at a barn a few years ago that had Ritchies... They were ancient but bullet proof. I got a Nelson because I have a friend who's got several and has never had a problem.:shrug:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
You know... I was at a barn a few years ago that had Ritchies... They were ancient but bullet proof. I got a Nelson because I have a friend who's got several and has never had a problem.:shrug:

YES!!! I just replace my Equifounts with Nelsons...I know what you are talking about...remove cover, flip the latch to stop water flow, remove drinking bowl. Under the bowl, the holder makes an "X" and in the middle is a screw. Turn that screw, 1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise. then put your bowl in and unlatch. That may start your water flow again, if not try one more slight clockwise adjustment. This just happened to me, and that screw was the ticket. :) Good luck and let me know! I LOVE my nelsons, all other inside waterers have been tough to clean, or were plastic and beat up by the horses. The Nelsons have been bulletproof!
:) :howdy:

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
appendixqh said:
YES!!! I just replace my Equifounts with Nelsons...I know what you are talking about...remove cover, flip the latch to stop water flow, remove drinking bowl. Under the bowl, the holder makes an "X" and in the middle is a screw. Turn that screw, 1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise. then put your bowl in and unlatch. That may start your water flow again, if not try one more slight clockwise adjustment. This just happened to me, and that screw was the ticket. :) Good luck and let me know! I LOVE my nelsons, all other inside waterers have been tough to clean, or were plastic and beat up by the horses. The Nelsons have been bulletproof!
:) :howdy:

I will try it if I can figure that out.. I didn't think I saw an x- just the button for the valve..If that's what you're talking about, I will get out there and try it. :) Thanks!
It does refill when they drink from it but if they don't drink for a few minutes, it stops refilling. When I open it up, the bowl is resting on top of the valve, keeping it from refilling.