Anybody watching?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
1st launch I've watched since Challenger. 1st watch of the launch vehicle recovery.

glhs837

Power with Control
What is up with those ridiculous looking space suits?

Well, not really space suits in that sense. Functionally the same as the Space Shuttle orange suits, only done with modern materials by a company whose CEO demands that things not only function well, but that they look good also. Those suits are technically just emergency life support, they are airtight and connect with an umbilical that supplies comms, power, and nitrox. No reason they cant look better than the 1950s.

glhs837

Power with Control
1st launch I've watched since Challenger. 1st watch of the launch vehicle recovery.

Been quite a few.

"The rocket's first-stage boosters have been recovered in 52 of 62 landing attempts (84%), with 28 out of 32 for the latest version, Block 5."

Might sound bad, but some of these were questionable to begin with, since some launch profiles aks a lot and put you in the margins of whats possible. Towards the end of these first gen, they basically tossed the older ones away with no attempt at recovery, since they wanted to get the Block 5s into service.

Since you havent watched any, then I have a treat for you. Falcon Heavy, which is essntially three of the boosters you saw today strapped together, has a couple of times tried to land all three first stages. Sadly, they have not accomplished the center core, but both times, they nailed simultaneous landings back at KSC....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Another thing I found quite unique about the return to space was the crew transport auto that took the astronauts to the rocket, a gullwing Tesla SUV. If nothing else Musk is quite the businessman.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, up on the big screen. Watched the hatch opening for Demo 1, this should be pretty cool.