Anyone been in Times Square for New Year's Eve?

acommondisaster

My sons and their girlfriends went about 6 years ago; had a good time. Luckily my son's girlfriend was originally from Brooklyn, so they all stayed at her mom's house. Pretty much the same as everyone else has said - big crowded noisy crowd. With what's been going on in NYC with the police/mayor/protesters, I wouldn't go this year.

Restless

Thanks for all the responses! You couldn't pay me to go. I take that back -I would go for $50,000 or more -no less! Our daughter is still going to go with her boyfriend. I will be praying that they are safe. It is bad enough to go up for New Years but given the problems with police assassinations, terrorists sneaking across our borders, etc., it is not a smart move.

Toxick

Splat
I guess my title says it all. If you have, would you do it again? Any tips? Our daughter and her boyfriend thought it would be fun - not me. No thank you!

I was there 1996=>1997 and 1997=>1998.

I would go back, but only if I was inside one of the buildings looking down on Times Square, rather than be out in the pits. I wouldn't want to stand out there with those a-holes again. I'm less of a people person than I was in my 20's.

The first year we got there around noonish to stake our claim on territory. We stubbornly stood our ground for 12 freaking hours in the cold, but I got a high-five from Dick Clark, and we wound up right next to a super-fun crew from Baltimore. One of the guys started chanting "We want Dick" (as in Clark), but it didn't take hold.

The second time we got there a little later, and we were less tenacious about holding onto our original place... probably because there was way more alcohol involved, and there was a little less novelty and urgency to be right under the ball when it dropped.

It actually looks way more musical and fun and star-studded on TV than it is in actual real life. In real life it's more like a ride on the subway during rush-hour, except that every 10-15 minutes they play a new song from Dick's scaffolding speakers, and they show the video on the Jumbotron. And then there's confetti everywhere, And then there's an actual ride on the subway home (or to your hotel) with much less festive drunks.

I think everyone should do it once to say they did it - it's a good memory - but I probably won't be going back.

Last edited:

officeguy

100eds of thousands of people crammed into one place, what could possibly go wrong ?

You couldn't pay me enough.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I wouldn't go especially this year. There will be cops everywhere, a target rich environment for the permanently aggrieved.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thanks for all the responses! You couldn't pay me to go. I take that back -I would go for $50,000 or more -no less! Our daughter is still going to go with her boyfriend. I will be praying that they are safe. It is bad enough to go up for New Years but given the problems with police assassinations, terrorists sneaking across our borders, etc., it is not a smart move.

I have no problem with NYC, especially Manhattan. Fun place. Lots to see and do. However, I would simply not want to know if my kids were there for NY eve.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was there 1996=>1997 and 1997=>1998.

I would go back, but only if I was inside one of the buildings looking down on Times Square, rather than be out in the pits. I wouldn't want to stand out there with those a-holes again. I'm less of a people person than I was in my 20's.

The first year we got there around noonish to stake our claim on territory. We stubbornly stood our ground for 12 freaking hours in the cold, but I got a high-five from Dick Clark, and we wound up right next to a super-fun crew from Baltimore. One of the guys started chanting "We want Dick" (as in Clark), but it didn't take hold.

The second time we got there a little later, and we were less tenacious about holding onto our original place... probably because there was way more alcohol involved, and there was a little less novelty and urgency to be right under the ball when it dropped.

It actually looks way more musical and fun and star-studded on TV than it is in actual real life. In real life it's more like a ride on the subway during rush-hour, except that every 10-15 minutes they play a new song from Dick's scaffolding speakers, and they show the video on the Jumbotron. And then there's confetti everywhere, And then there's an actual ride on the subway home (or to your hotel) with much less festive drunks.

I think everyone should do it once to say they did it - it's a good memory - but I probably won't be going back.

You and everyone else who thought that was great fun were the free props for the show.