Anyone been in Times Square for New Year's Eve?

Restless

I guess my title says it all. If you have, would you do it again? Any tips? Our daughter and her boyfriend thought it would be fun - not me. No thank you!

baydoll

I was there with my daughter back in July and I couldn't get over how small the place actually is! The first thing we asked was "where do they put all those people on New Year's Eve?"

Somehow TV makes it appear to be a very large area but in reality it's ridiculously small. If your daughter or her boyfriend suffers from Claustrophobia, I'd stay away if I were them. :dead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was there with my daughter back in July and I couldn't get over how small the place actually is! The first thing we asked was "where do they put all those people on New Year's Eve?"

Somehow TV makes it appear to be a very large area but in reality it's ridiculously small. If your daughter or her boyfriend suffers from Claustrophobia, I'd stay away if I were them. :dead:

Interesting. I've never thought of it as small, at all. It is several city blocks worth of pretty wide open space.

Hijinx

I don't like to be in crowds where when the crowd moves you have to go in the same direction.

Mike_Honcho

I went a couple of times in the late 1980's. A couple of things come to mind. First, there is not much parking anywhere nearby. We somehow found a sport on the first trip and the second time we went we got lucky with a hotel room which came with parking.

Second, look out for the pick pockets. I'm not talking about the type who can pick your pocket without you even knowing. I'm talking about the gangs of thugs forcing their way through the crowd and taking anything they can get their hands on. The first time I went I saw them coming but I didn't really know what they were up to until they got to me and tried to get their hands in my pockets. Luckily I had my hands in my pockets already and they couldn't get their hands in so they just kept moving.

The second time I went, I had a hotel room nearby so I didn't take anything with me when we went out for the ball drop. Sure enough they swept through again and tried to get in my pockets but I saw them coming and put my hands in my pockets before they got to me. Of course they still tried but kept on moving when they couldn't get in. There's really not much else you can do about it. It is so jammed with people you'd have a hard time trying to fight them off and they are working in groups.

I don't know how much times have changed since then but I would recommend that they travel light and not take anything out with them that they don't need.

All in all it was OK. At least I can say that I've done it but I probably could have had a better time at home.

Pushrod

Patriot
I did it once and would NEVER do it again. Once they barricade you in you are in for the show and they will use force to keep you behind those barricades. You are crushed in with what feels like a million people.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
been there... done it... doubt I will do it again.

1994/1995 was when I went .... and this day in age not a good idea

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I did it once and would NEVER do it again. Once they barricade you in you are in for the show and they will use force to keep you behind those barricades. You are crushed in with what feels like a million people.

:yeahthat:

Once you're in there's no leaving. Also, where the hell do all these people go for a restroom?! :dead: You're packed in like sardines so once you claim your spot, 8-10 hours before it even starts, you can't exactly leave. I used to live in CT, only a quick train ride away from NYC and everyone I know avoided NYC like the plague between Dec 20-Jan 02. It was just known it was never worth the trip. But then again, there's plenty of people that aren't bothered by all this. :shrug:

also, good luck finding a hotel room at this point.

bulldog

Both my daughter and nephew have done it recently and both would go back...crazy kids. You would not catch me in that mess, ever. I'd do almost anything for my daughter, but if she asked me to do that...nope!
I think she said they were inside the barriers for over 12 hours, basically just standing there. Yep, that's fun. :sarcasm:
What if you gotta pee?

baydoll

Interesting. I've never thought of it as small, at all. It is several city blocks worth of pretty wide open space.

I was referring to the area where the ball drops. Maybe it's my perception but it looked really small to me as compared to what I'm used to seeing on TV? :shrug:

bilbur

Both my daughter and nephew have done it recently and both would go back...crazy kids. You would not catch me in that mess, ever. I'd do almost anything for my daughter, but if she asked me to do that...nope!
I think she said they were inside the barriers for over 12 hours, basically just standing there. Yep, that's fun. :sarcasm:
What if you gotta pee?

My sister went one year and she said she would never go again. She said it was so overcrowded it was uncomfortable and as for what to do if you have to pee, she said the guys and some of the girls just went on the street which is risky because of all the police. I would be a little uneasy about going this year anyway due to recent events. A little off topic but I did go to Mardi Gras and had a blast. This was years ago before Katrina but I would definitely go back there.

bulldog

My sister went one year and she said she would never go again. She said it was so overcrowded it was uncomfortable and as for what to do if you have to pee, she said the guys and some of the girls just went on the street which is risky because of all the police. I would be a little uneasy about going this year anyway due to recent events. A little off topic but I did go to Mardi Gras and had a blast. This was years ago before Katrina but I would definitely go back there.

I went to NOLA this year (not during MG) and you could not pay me to go back. Ever.

bulldog

:eyebrow:

I did too, during St. Patrick's Day weekend. Best girls trip evah :getdown:

Yeah, I'm pretty boring that way. You can have NOLA, Vegas, NYC and all the others. I'll take the Grand Tetons, Glacier National Park, Gila National Forest, Grand Canyon, etc. Lots of room and not many folks to share it with.

vince77

Spent 3 days in NYC last week, 5th Ave storefronts, Rockefeller Center, etc...could see Times Square from hotel room. Busy there. Their best recollection of New Years Eve at TS would be .......glad I went, wouldn't do it again .... and spirals down from there....people bring their dogs inside when it goes below freezing, why would I stand in a cold pen for hours. I'm too old and cranky anyway. Parking garage next to hotel had a special .... $590 a month.