Anyone comute to Tyson Corner ??

dave1959

Thinking of a job over there. Looking for some info if anyone has some. how long is your comute and what time.

..Sorry forgot to add I live in Mechanicsville Md.

Last edited:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Have a friend at work who used to live there and would commute to PAX every day. I would assume that you would have to deal with more traffic as you would be heading in with it rather than away. I remember him saying on a good day it would take about an hour and forty five minutes. Going home was about the same could be a bite longer depending on the roads.

SoMdDude

Thinking of a job over there. Looking for some info if anyone has some. how long is your comute and what time.

Where are you going to Tysons from?

Have a friend at work who used to live there and would commute to PAX every day. I would assume that you would have to deal with more traffic as you would be heading in with it rather than away. I remember him saying on a good day it would take about an hour and forty five minutes. Going home was about the same could be a bite longer depending on the roads.

I live right off of 210 in waldorf and it takes me 30 minutes to get to the 395/495 divide if I leave at 4am without traffic, add another 10-15 to get to Tysons. If I leave anytime after 5-5:30am, that time could jump up to 1.5 hours easy.

OP, once you get to Springfield, you do have the option of using the new express lanes which dumps you right off at Tysons, which does help a ton!!! I always pass back ups using it at Braddock Rd and Rout 50. Would be better to know where you are possibly heading to Tysons from.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Isn't Tyson's Corner where the Martians landed during Orson Welle's presentation of "War of the Worlds?"

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Many years ago I commuted from Mechanicsville to just before Tyson's Corner. I would leave at 4:30 in the morning and get to work about 6. Leaving at 3pm in the afternoon I'd get home 5:30-6 on a normal day. Extremely exhausting and not worth the hassle.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Thinking of a job over there. Looking for some info if anyone has some. how long is your commute and what time.

probably depends on how much of a raise you are getting .....

route:

5 to 228 to 210 to 95 ....

now you can get on the beltway and cruise around and use the new toll lanes like SoMdDude said

or up 295 across the SE / SW Freeway ... across the 14th st bridge and up the parkway

or cross the WW Bridge and through Old Town, and again up the Geo. Wash Pky

[from the pkwy you can also exit at spout run and drive up through Arlington or get on 66 West and go through Falls Church]

from there, there are multiple ways to Tyson's

123 Chain Bridge rd - through McLean come up the back side of Tyson's Mall

to the end of the parkway and around the beltway ....

a long arduous trip no doubt .... unless you are getting a significant pay raise is it really worth it to sit in a car 3 hours a day ... books on tape are great for passing the time

For The Record - I live just behind National Harbor and drove to Dulles Town Center for 2 yrs [some mornings straight to clients in Leesburg] ... the worst nights it took me 3 hours just to get home - getting east on 7 past Sterling and the Fairfax county pkwy

good luck in your decision

:buddies:

TruckLuvr

I work in Fairfax and my commute without any problems or delays runs about 1:30. This will also depend on what time you are traveling. There have been some days when it's taken a lot longer due to a major shutdown of a road or a major accident. You should take a dry run.

Sweet 16

^^8^^

Are you insane? I hated commuting to Tyson's when I lived in Vienna and that was 30 years ago! And forgetaboutit between Black Friday and Christmas -- you might be able to get there but it will be so gridlocked you won't be able to move. Look elsewhere.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
I don't, but my wife does. We live in Port Tobacco. It takes her just over an hour to get there, using the hotlanes. She typically leaves by 6:30 in the morning, is at work before 8, and leaves NTL 4:30 to pickup our son from daycare.

She has been making this commute for 8 years now. It used to wear her out really badly, but now that the hotlanes are open, I haven't heard her complain. It costs extra, but shaves a bunch of time off her travel, and while her drive is 60 miles each way, it only takes her just over an hour to get there.

Depending on where you live, it may or may not be worth the trouble...as I said, my wife used to HATE the drive, but doesn't mind it now. The only way I was able to convince her was because when she used to live in Fairfax it would take her 45 minutes to get there...moving to La Plata only added another 25 minutes to her drive, even though it was over twice the distance.

dave1959

Are you insane? I hated commuting to Tyson's when I lived in Vienna and that was 30 years ago! And forgetaboutit between Black Friday and Christmas -- you might be able to get there but it will be so gridlocked you won't be able to move. Look elsewhere.

Yeh, Probably...

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Plus you got to figure in wear & tear & gas for your vehicle. I'm sitting at 123,000 miles on my 2010 SUV- 3 brake jobs, new front rotors and wheel bearing/hubs, 2nd set of tires (getting ready for 3rd), etc. Luckily I can do my own maintenance.

Last edited:

Lilypad

Thinking of a job over there. Looking for some info if anyone has some. How long is your commute and what time.

..Sorry forgot to add I live in Mechanicsville, Md.

Dave-are you familiar w/Tysons? Take a test-trip to check it out for yourselves.

dave1959

Dave-are you familiar w/Tysons? Take a test-trip to check it out for yourselves.

Yes, I know where it is and how to get there many different ways. We shop at the mall and galleria several times a year. I have driven over there in rush hour, days and weekends.
But driving over there a couple times a year at varying hours is different than
commuting on a daily basis.

slowlane

Tysons Corner -- is that the place near Upper Marlboro, known for Bingo games and Trailer parks ?

No, wait - that's Waysons Corner (road maps for some very strange reason, always label it as "Drury").

Last edited: