Anyone else having trouble keeping shoes on

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
their horse this Spring? My girl has sprung several shoes and now her left front is loose again. All this started happening right after the March 1st snow. Plus with all the wet weather her feet are tender, but are getting better. With it being her first Spring being off the track vs in the stall on the track it has been an adjustment. Just wondering how everyone else is making out. :howdy:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my 5yr old recently. He said he wished he was a horse (we had passed a farm with horses out in the pasture). I told him that he'd have to wear metal shoes that are nailed into the bottom of his feet. The look on his face was priceless. He thought about it and then said, "ummm, well, then I don't want to anymore."

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my 5yr old recently. He said he wished he was a horse (we had passed a farm with horses out in the pasture). I told him that he'd have to wear metal shoes that are nailed into the bottom of his feet. The look on his face was priceless. He thought about it and then said, "ummm, well, then I don't want to anymore."

:killingme Well they do have glue on horse shoes now. :whistle: Kids say the funniest things. :howdy:

Sparks

I do love having barefoot horses....:biggrin:

It's spring, time for shoe sucking mud and too wet feet.

devinej

yeah....my new horse is barefoot. and any future horses will also be barefoot. its a new requirement

DQ2B

I do love having barefoot horses....:biggrin:

It's spring, time for shoe sucking mud and too wet feet.

Definitely a benefit of having barefoot horses, no shoes to worry about losing!! Doing the barefoot thing now for 5 years.

Sparks

I pulled Sparks' shoes last August and it's the best thing I've ever done. His feet are great now. He was a notorious shoe puller with TB feet. Willow has never had shoes and I'd really like to keep it that way as long as possible. She's got gorgeous, tough black feet!

Sparks

so - was sparks sound when you pulled them off? if not, how long did it take?

No, not for a while, but his feet were trimmed/prepped for shoes, not being barefoot when they were first pulled. He seemed to be pasture sound after a month or so. Maybe rideable a month after that.

Long story short, he's always had crappy feet and I wasn't 100% happy with how farrier was doing him (Toes too long, heels a mess). Decided to try this uber-expensive guy who supposedly did corrective shoeing. New guy came out and sparks pulled each shoe off once, maybe twice ( can't remember) within two weeks!! :cds: I also spent a few hundred dollars with this new guy in a very short period. I got so fed up with it that I told him to come back out and pull the shoes, oh, and BTW, don't come back.....

To help him transition I bought him hoof boots to wear during turnout. He's sound and rideable now barefoot, if I only had a rider for him........:whistle:

devinej

that is so awesome. i wish i could do that but i think i'd need one of those places with rubber floors and rubber turnout for higgins. i found one in MI but it costs $2200/month.....lol

Sparks

that is so awesome. i wish i could do that but i think i'd need one of those places with rubber floors and rubber turnout for higgins. i found one in MI but it costs $2200/month.....lol

You really never know until you try it. I never in a million years would have thought Sparks could go barefoot.

DQ2B

Going barefoot successfully depends on a lot of things, i.e. a proper (barefoot) trim, patholgy (or lack of) of the hoof upon going barefoot, proper management of the trim, diet, excercise, living conditions/terrain, etc. There are many things an owner can do to help the transition process along as well as manage day-to-day barefoot issues that creep up every now and then. Honestly, shoes, imo, do more damage than good though I would never presume every horse should go without.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My old horse just had to have front shoes. I didn't have an option with his feet. He had a club foot and a couple of other issues. The shoes kept him sound.

My current horse wear 4 all around. He has tough feet but has a old quarter crack on his back foot. SO he needs the shoes until the vet says so.