Anyone else here love corn meal mush?

gemma_rae

I have never tried fried cornmeal mush, but it sounds like something I might like. Might give it a try soon.
I know a guy...
from Montana that says if you add a little flour and baking powder before you fry it those are called Johnny cakes.

I think they're called 'Hotscakes' in Hooterville.

Reactions: rio

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Polenta is often served as a side dish in northern Italy. Some have bits of sausage in it. It may or may not get a nape of tomato sauce just before serving.

Southern Italians call northern Italians polentoni as a derogatory slang for their sworn enemies from the higher latitude region.

rio

I know a guy...
from Montana that says if you add a little flour and baking powder before you fry it those are called Johnny cakes.

I think they're called 'Hotscakes' in Hooterville.

Maybe I'll do half each way.

I have heard of Johnny cakes,and think they were some type of biscuit kind of thing that was used for soldiers during war. Now I gotta look into it more.

gemma_rae

Maybe I'll do half each way.

I have heard of Johnny cakes,and think they were some type of biscuit kind of thing that was used for soldiers during war. Now I gotta look into it more.
Okay, but just so you know, I never said he was right. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: rio

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Polenta is often served as a side dish in northern Italy. Some have bits of sausage in it.

Mom always threw in some pork "pickings" in the oat meal and corn meal mush when she made it. Little bits of leftover meat picked off the head, knuckles and other parts after they are boiled to get all the "stuff" needed to make the scrapple. Not a lot..just enough sprinkled in to add a touch of pork flavor to add to what frying it in bacon grease already does.

black dog

Free America
Mom always threw in some pork "pickings" in the oat meal and corn meal mush when she made it. Little bits of leftover meat picked off the head, knuckles and other parts after they are boiled to get all the "stuff" needed to make the scrapple. Not a lot..just enough sprinkled in to add a touch of pork flavor to add to what frying it in bacon grease already does.

Interesting, we always skimmed meat off the bottom of the cauldron just before adding corn meal and spices making scrapple. That meat was put up in jars and fried like other breakfast meats.
It was called puddin.....

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I love it. Short of the tubes of polenta in the Italian section, you won't find it down here.
I've found it before, but rare. I think Harris Teeter keeps it in one of the fridge sections in the produce area (yea I know - I'm pretty sure it's an organic brand - that's why). I've seen it at Weis Callaway, but it's been a long time since. And I used to see it sometimes at Giant but I never go there anymore.

I gave up and just bought a bulk box of decent Italian polenta cornmeal online. If I make it and pour it into a pan and let it solidify, I can cut it up and fry it. I like to serve it with some all-day simmered sauce with sausage, peppers, and onions. My husband likes the leftover polenta for breakfast fried up with some runny eggs.