Anyone else working on something vintage?

black dog

Free America
the amish up here tried using Pontiac v8's as hitching post. they couldn't handle that horse power either.

I had a hard time containing it in my youth myself.. I had a Flathead on one of my Percussion Drills years ago, Thank God it had a 1000 lb flywheel or it would have had no guts at all.... Hercules / Ford same same..... I updraft and a magneto.... A Mazda Rotary goes hummmmmmm and a Flathead goes boing boing boing boing....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This little 239 V-8 sounds really strong. It's got the classic "3/4 race grind" Isky cam and Johnson lifters in it. As soon as the supercharger is on line, it should be well over 200HP. I've got the Holley EFI ECM learning and self-tuning with the supercharger disconnected at first.

black dog

Free America
This little 239 V-8 sounds really strong. It's got the classic "3/4 race grind" Isky cam and Johnson lifters in it. As soon as the supercharger is on line, it should be well over 200HP. I've got the Holley EFI ECM learning and self-tuning with the supercharger disconnected at first.

They really do have a cool different sound... Even more so when it has a load on it.

limblips

PREMO Member
2013-07-14_19-08-05_430.jpg Do vintage boats count? 1958 Lonestar (pictured) and a 1956/57 Duracraft Duraflite. The Duraflight is stripped and ready for paint and upholstery. After she splashes this spring, the Lonestar will go on the hard for a strip and paint. The Lonestar has a 40 Merc ELPT (for the grandkids). The Duracraft is a 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35, a bit of work but she looks new and runs great. I like her a little rich so there are very few mosquitos when I fire her up! I love the big finned and the tumblehome runabouts of the era.

Attachments

• 2013-07-14_19-08-05_430.jpg
    2013-07-14_19-08-05_430.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 294

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Do vintage boats count?

Absolutely! I love vintage boats. I restored an 18' Chris Craft Sportsman many years ago..sold it to a doctor up in Bel Air MD. Restored my 1973 16' Donzi about 15 or more years ago, but now it needs the transom rebuilt; the wood rotted out on the inside and I don't want to risk damaging the exterior glass. I have a new 302 ready to go in it when I finally get around to the transom work. I also have a 1972 Champ XVII that I've had for about 25 years...428 Ford engine in front of a Berkeley 12jG drag jet setup.

Too many irons..not enough fires..

I do miss the Chris...but it was a tremendous amount of maintenance effort required every year to keep it nice.

Chris Craft.jpg Donzi in shop.jpg

limblips

PREMO Member
Absolutely! I love vintage boats. I restored an 18' Chris Craft Sportsman many years ago..sold it to a doctor up in Bel Air MD. Restored my 1973 16' Donzi about 15 or more years ago, but now it needs the transom rebuilt; the wood rotted out on the inside and I don't want to risk damaging the exterior glass. I have a new 302 ready to go in it when I finally get around to the transom work. I also have a 1972 Champ XVII that I've had for about 25 years...428 Ford engine in front of a Berkeley 12jG drag jet setup.

Too many irons..not enough fires..

I do miss the Chris...but it was a tremendous amount of maintenance effort required every year to keep it nice.

View attachment 121450 View attachment 121451

Yep, I understand. I love the wood boats but I love boating more than I love working on them so it is aluminum classics for me now. Mine are freshwater too so the wear and tear is much less. Had a mid 50's Thompson runabout. Stripped, replaced a cracked rib, caulked, refastened, new bright work, ready for sealing and finish, she was very close to splash and the friends barn I had her in burned to the ground. I lost a lot of heart in that fire! Pretty CC and Donzi!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ouch...I've lost a lot in a fire too but not a boat. Aluminum is a great boatbuilding material. I have a 1978 32 Marinette.