Anyone had cats who suddenly hate each other?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Last Tuesday, Boone and Gracie got into 3 huge fights. Boone got so upset he sprayed my bedroom window. They have been separated since because every time they saw each other, they would want to fight.

We think a stray cat that comes by is the cause however this cat has been coming by for a long time, and this sort of reaction never occurred before. Gracie would get upset and go after Boone but all was forgiven a minute later. Tuesday was obviously different and they now hate each other.

Is there anything I can do? Currently Boone is on the main floor and Gracie is in our finished basement. Both seem content with the situation but I am not. I don't want to spend the next 15 years with cats who have to live separately. I bought Feliway diffusers but they aren't doing anything. Thinking about calling the vet to get some anxiety meds prescribed to see if that helps.

Any other actions I can take?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Other cat spray Gracie's favorite window?

Next warm day, spray down all your exterior window sills, lower sashes, door stoops and the bottom panel of every door Gracie and Boone could get near and smell strange kitty markings with enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Own of Urine Gone.

Also, spray around the outside of the house with citrus oil. Cats do not like citrus smell. That may keep stranger kitty away.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Other cat spray Gracie's favorite window?

Next warm day, spray down all your exterior window sills, lower sashes, door stoops and the bottom panel of every door Gracie and Boone could get near and smell strange kitty markings with enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Own of Urine Gone.

Also, spray around the outside of the house with citrus oil. Cats do not like citrus smell. That may keep stranger kitty away.
I have blocked access to where they would be able to see the other cat so I don't think that is an issue. My problem is dealing with the aftermath of the last encounter.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have blocked access to where they would be able to see the other cat so I don't think that is an issue. My problem is dealing with the aftermath of the last encounter.
I would still do some of the actions SPR suggested - Cats are strange creatures who need fresh starts sometimes to forget. My dad took my one cat to an especially traumatic vet apt once and she never forgave him - we couldn't remove my dad from the house, (mom tried :lol:) but did have to start associating positive experiences with him so she'd start to trust him again and stop peeing in his laundry basket - something along those lines, is what I'm getting at. Removing all scents or possibility of future visits, even if they can't see him, will aid in calming Gracie and they can start to rebuild their relationship.

Also, while they're separated, do they have their own spots in their new areas? Is there a way to put a blanket on a favorite perch? I'd let that blanket soak in some cat scent (not pee, just their scent :lol:) and then swap them. Put Boone's blanket in Gracie's are, and vice versa. Slowly reintroduce them via scents first and see how they react.

@spr1975wshs might have a few more suggestions for reintroducing them again, but it might take some time. Patience is key, but if you think there's an underlying health issue to one of them, then I'd suggest the vet. I don't think many vets would prescribe anxiety meds right away without fully vetting both for other issues, which will get pricey. This still feels like a territory issue for now.

Good luck! That's frustrating though. I've given up on acquiring another cat - mine is an older guy and he really enjoys the solitude life. He's just barely tolerating my toddler so I feel bad forcing another small creature on him at this point in time :lol: but next time around I look forward to a pair so they have each other too - it's tough seeing their love/hate relationship!

gemma_rae

Hi RB,
Just a thought. If I remember what I think I used to know, cats are not known for their great eye sight, smell and hearing are by far their most keen senses so eliminating odors may be quite important indeed. SPR has some good recommendations for that.

One thing I'm curious about is do you think visitor kitty could be an unfixed female? The reason I ask is it sounds as if Gracie has become quite aggressive towards Boone. Although he is fixed, I'm thinking he would still investigate and that may trigger these responses as some sort of interpretation of betrayal by Gracie on Boones part.

As far as reacclimating them, I do like LB's suggestion of either swapping a small piece of bedding or something that may have their respective scents on it between their individual comfort areas for a few days prior.

Good Luck with the fur babies!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I would still do some of the actions SPR suggested - Cats are strange creatures who need fresh starts sometimes to forget. My dad took my one cat to an especially traumatic vet apt once and she never forgave him - we couldn't remove my dad from the house, (mom tried :lol:) but did have to start associating positive experiences with him so she'd start to trust him again and stop peeing in his laundry basket - something along those lines, is what I'm getting at. Removing all scents or possibility of future visits, even if they can't see him, will aid in calming Gracie and they can start to rebuild their relationship.

Also, while they're separated, do they have their own spots in their new areas? Is there a way to put a blanket on a favorite perch? I'd let that blanket soak in some cat scent (not pee, just their scent :lol:) and then swap them. Put Boone's blanket in Gracie's are, and vice versa. Slowly reintroduce them via scents first and see how they react.

@spr1975wshs might have a few more suggestions for reintroducing them again, but it might take some time. Patience is key, but if you think there's an underlying health issue to one of them, then I'd suggest the vet. I don't think many vets would prescribe anxiety meds right away without fully vetting both for other issues, which will get pricey. This still feels like a territory issue for now.

Good luck! That's frustrating though. I've given up on acquiring another cat - mine is an older guy and he really enjoys the solitude life. He's just barely tolerating my toddler so I feel bad forcing another small creature on him at this point in time :lol: but next time around I look forward to a pair so they have each other too - it's tough seeing their love/hate relationship!
Patience is the issue with me. I don't have any in this situation. :lol: When I am home, the door that separates the downstairs from the upstairs is open so I'm sure they can smell each other and they both know the other one is still around. Neither ventures into the other's space. I was visiting Gracie downstairs last night and we were at the bottom of the stairs. Boone happened to walk by and see her. He immediately hissed and Gracie's tail puffed up and she was ready to run upstairs to get him. Since I was there, I ended up pinning her down to the step. It seems like as long as they don't see each other, they are fine. Both seem quite content with never seeing with the other one unfortunately. I am hoping "time heals all wounds" and they will eventually reconcile.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Hi RB,
Just a thought. If I remember what I think I used to know, cats are not known for their great eye sight, smell and hearing are by far their most keen senses so eliminating odors may be quite important indeed. SPR has some good recommendations for that.

One thing I'm curious about is do you think visitor kitty could be an unfixed female? The reason I ask is it sounds as if Gracie has become quite aggressive towards Boone. Although he is fixed, I'm thinking he would still investigate and that may trigger these responses as some sort of interpretation of betrayal by Gracie on Boones part.

As far as reacclimating them, I do like LB's suggestion of either swapping a small piece of bedding or something that may have their respective scents on it between their individual comfort areas for a few days prior.

Good Luck with the fur babies!
There is no way for them to "smell" the intruder cat. He is definitely a he because he got a young female stray pregnant recently. He is also owned by someone because he has a collar on. The reason why Gracie is aggressive towards Boone over this cat is because Gracie and the cat go after each other through the sliding glass door. Boone sees this and gets freaked out so when Gracie sees Boone freaked out, she attacks. Boone hisses at her because she is acting a fool and that pisses Gracie off.

gemma_rae

There is no way for them to "smell" the intruder cat. He is definitely a he because he got a young female stray pregnant recently. He is also owned by someone because he has a collar on. The reason why Gracie is aggressive towards Boone over this cat is because Gracie and the cat go after each other through the sliding glass door. Boone sees this and gets freaked out so when Gracie sees Boone freaked out, she attacks. Boone hisses at her because she is acting a fool and that pisses Gracie off.
Got it.

Sounds like the root of the problem is Mr. Intruder. I don't know if you would want to go this route but all three counties, Charles, St Mary's and Calvert, have control laws for cats. They are not to be on public or private land, other than their owners, without being under control of their owners.

If they were to be trapped and turned over to animal control, the owner would be fined. Of course the downside is an owner that would allow their animal to roam probably wouldn't care enough to retrieve the animal.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got it.

Sounds like the root of the problem is Mr. Intruder. I don't know if you would want to go this route but all three counties, Charles, St Mary's and Calvert, have control laws for cats. They are not to be on public or private land, other than their owners, without being under control of their owners.

If they were to be trapped and turned over to animal control, the owner would be fined. Of course the downside is an owner that would allow their animal to roam probably wouldn't care enough to retrieve the animal.
People have tried to trap it. I have seen traps placed on our property and he is too smart and avoids them. The real problem is our neighbor feeds him which in turns brings him around. We literally put cardboard over our sliding glass door so the cats can't see him if he should come into our yard. But the damage is done regardless and even if the cat does go away permanently, Boone and Gracie still continue to hate each other. 😢

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Here is the a-hole. :mad: This was taken a while ago and you can clearly see he has a collar so it belongs to someone.

gemma_rae

Here is the a-hole. :mad: This was taken a while ago and you can clearly see he has a collar so it belongs to someone.
View attachment 161966
Oh my. He's a cute little a-hole. I'll come catnap him and sentence him to life indoors. Nothing but tuna and water and head bumps and scritches for the rest of his life, after he gets his doo dads cut off of course.

Boone and Gracie will never see him again.

Hell, I need new drapes anyway.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Oh my. He's a cute little a-hole. I'll come catnap him and sentence him to life indoors. Nothing but tuna and water and head bumps and scritches for the rest of his life, after he gets his doo dads cut off of course.

Boone and Gracie will never see him again.

Hell, I need new drapes anyway.
You are welcome to him. I will even help to try and catch him. I do feel sorry for him because obviously his owner sucks but he truly ruined Boone and Gracie's relationship.

gemma_rae

You are welcome to him. I will even help to try and catch him. I do feel sorry for him because obviously his owner sucks but he truly ruined Boone and Gracie's relationship.
My last two were brother and sister rescues whose siblings didn't make it. On occasion they would fight like cats and...well cats, and pretty viciously at that. Coincidently sister was named Grace also. I'm optimistic that Boone and Gracie will smooth things over and get along eventually. Cats can be mad at each other without hating each other. Give them some time and let them sort it out, but be ready to referee sometimes.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My last two were brother and sister rescues whose siblings didn't make it. On occasion they would fight like cats and...well cats, and pretty viciously at that. Coincidently sister was named Grace also. I'm optimistic that Boone and Gracie will smooth things over and get along eventually. Cats can be mad at each other without hating each other. Give them some time and let them sort it out, but be ready to referee sometimes.
Thank you for your words of optimism. I know it's only been a little more than a week but it seems like forever. :lol: I hope you are right and things go back to normal. I really wish I knew what the problem was. I assume it started with the stray cat but why is it continuing when it's never before? Unfortunately Boone is in a Catch 22 situation if the issue is that he is tired of Gracie beating him up over this cat. Boone hisses at Gracie and she attacks. If he'd stop hissing at her, she'd stop attacking him.

I am glad that we at least have separate floors for them to roam (about 1000 sq ft each) so they aren't locked up in a little room all day and night. I removed the cardboard from the sliding glass window so Gracie can look out now. No one to attack if the stray cat shows up so no reason to keep it covered. She seems happier now that she has access to a window other than the one in the bedroom that is partially underground. She has toys, cat trees, and a tunnel down there to keep her entertained. I also hooked a TV back up so I can watch TV down there with her on occasion. I am glad we can keep the door open when we are home so it feels more normal than having it shut all day.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Two and a half weeks apart and still no change. Boone caught a glimpse of Gracie when I opened the door to go downstairs and immediately hissed. This is getting really frustrating.

DaSDGuy

Boone hisses at Gracie and she attacks. If he'd stop hissing at her, she'd stop attacking him.

Sound like me and my wife. It's really peaceful if I can keep my mouth shut. Not possible 100% of the time though.

PJay

Two and a half weeks apart and still no change. Boone caught a glimpse of Gracie when I opened the door to go downstairs and immediately hissed. This is getting really frustrating.

Know it must be. Have you talked with your vet he/she may know the problem and solution.