Anyone have a riding mule?

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have a friend that had a few. They are very sure footed and she said very smooth. There temperments are different than horses. Mules aren't as forgiving as a horse. They take a little longer to train, but once they have it they don't forget. They say it takes a lot of patience in training. You can't force a mule to do anything you have to ask them. I see a lot of them when we go to the mountains riding. Even when there riders are drunk and riding them around like idiots the mules seem to take care of them...They also say it's hard to find a good broke mule and if you do have plenty of ching with ya.

S

saddlesore

I've never owned one, but would actually like to. All the long ears (mules & donkeys) are hardier than horses: hardier stomachs and digestive systems; better feet; and they live longer than horses.

I saw several mules at the Old Dominion endurance ride - they do well. And some of them can jump! I've heard they used to be allowed to compete in dressage and x/country, until they started winning, so now they're banned. That's just hearsay, though, don't know if it's true.

Like Ming says, they are considered more difficult to train, but in many ways are smarter than horses. Just remember that they may easily live to be 40+!

Also something to consider, it is harder to find decent fitting tack for them.

K

KizerSoSay

saddlesore said:
I've never owned one, but would actually like to. All the long ears (mules & donkeys) are hardier than horses: hardier stomachs and digestive systems; better feet; and they live longer than horses.

I saw several mules at the Old Dominion endurance ride - they do well. And some of them can jump! I've heard they used to be allowed to compete in dressage and x/country, until they started winning, so now they're banned. That's just hearsay, though, don't know if it's true.

Like Ming says, they are considered more difficult to train, but in many ways are smarter than horses. Just remember that they may easily live to be 40+!

Also something to consider, it is harder to find decent fitting tack for them.
There are also several different types of mules. Plantation mules, logging mules, riding mules, cart mules etc. All different sizes, from itty bitty to big mo fo's. :coffee:
I know people who have coon hunted with mules. They jump like deer.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
they dont really have a lot of withers so the saddle kinda slider forward... My cousent in nc rides a mule on trails in the mountians. Hes a bigginer rider, and i only hear good things about them. But i will see on friday or saterday because im going down there to there house for a graduation, and hopefully i get to ride one! :jameo: I only rode a donkey befor, with out a saddle that is HARD! When you squeze your knees to keep your balance you slid FORWARD, and the one i rode was hard to stop from troting, or stoping for the matter, so i would have to jump off, then get back on and he would walk. but they dont spook!

mingiz

Horse Poor
KizerSoSay said:
There are also several different types of mules. Plantation mules, logging mules, riding mules, cart mules etc. All different sizes, from itty bitty to big mo fo's. :coffee:
I know people who have coon hunted with mules. They jump like deer.

We had one at the farm that every day he would be on the other side of the fence. We caught him one day. He would walk up to the fence and he would rear up and leap over it and look at us as to say don't fence me in...He was a trip but was afriad that he would make it to the road so she got rid of him. His name was cool also. he was Ozzie Ozmule...he was trained to coon hunt.

K

KizerSoSay

mingiz said:
We had one at the farm that every day he would be on the other side of the fence. We caught him one day. He would walk up to the fence and he would rear up and leap over it and look at us as to say don't fence me in...He was a trip but was afriad that he would make it to the road so she got rid of him. His name was cool also. he was Ozzie Ozmule...he was trained to coon hunt.
When they take them hunting, they drape a jacket over a fence(or whatever they happen to come across that is in the way) and the mules just walk right up and pop over it from a stand still. They are very sure footed to be runnin' all over creation in the dark chasing dogs.

S

saddlesore

flarenuphope said:
they dont really have a lot of withers so the saddle kinda slider forward.

Right - that's what I meant about it being hard to find good fitting tack. I'd still like one, though. In some parts of the world they are used more than horses for work, and since that is what people have, they end up riding them rather than horses.

mingiz

Horse Poor
saddlesore said:
Right - that's what I meant about it being hard to find good fitting tack. I'd still like one, though. In some parts of the world they are used more than horses for work, and since that is what people have, they end up riding them rather than horses.

As far as the tack they do make saddles for mules. Most of them have a crouper attached to the back of the saddle so they don't slide forward or even breeching.(sp)

Sparks

Doesn't sound like a good option for a beginner who just wants to trail ride (why I was inquiring) unless you've got big $$$ to spend on a really well trained one. Oh well, love those long ears though :love:

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Hey go for the gusto. A good broke mule will take care of you....As long as you treat him right he will take care of you...If you can find a good one on this side of the mississippi... :lmao: