Anyone interested in discussing other religions besides Christianity?

LadyXanax

St. Mary's County has a huge "NEW AGE" following...
I am beginning to think it has become the newest FAD to become a practioner of earth based religions. I see many people these days wearing pentacles and other type jewelry because it is fashionable. *my opinion* I feel you do not need to parade around in witch attire in order to be a witch...
I welcome you who practise your religion as an ongoing everyday part of your life, not something to flaunt or rebel with. I am not saying don't be open about your religion, just be real about it.
AS for the folks I have read in this thread, I feel you are all on the mark...nice to meet you!:)

BudoPo

Originally posted by cariblue
Ya know what, Roger? I know you, too.

Oh, geez. Can't a guy get some anonymous posting without being exposed for who he is? You're all ganging up on me! :) I saw Bill at the cookout today, but didn't get to say hi.

Sometimes the Reiki person sees things when they work on you, so your bladder issue isn't all that uncommon. Often, though, the problem doesn't really manifest itself physcially and the body takes care of it on its own (well, Reiki helps).

More common (though not all Reiki practitioners do this) is what's called "radar hands", where your hands just know where to go. I remember working on a friend's shoulders, then my hands just went to the small of her back. I asked if it hurt there, and she said, "Yeah. How did you know?" My reply was, "Cuz I'm goood."

BTW, the hands don't always get hot. Mine haven't been that way in a few years already. The Reiki still flows, but feels different. They still get hot, depending on the situation, but usually not.

Mancrazy, Reiki would be good for migraines, but it'd probably take a number of sessions over a few months. A friend of mine (who learned Reiki from me) gets them from time to time. I can ask him what he does. One thing, though: do NOT discount traditional Western medicine. If you're concerned, get an exam. Do NOT use this as a substitute. Oh, also you might see a chiropractor. My brother is one, and I think he said it can often help migraines. I'll ask him tonight. His practise is in NYC, though, so you might want to find some closer. :)

LadyXanax

The Lusby Reiki group has helped me many times. Reiki is very beneficial and a great addition to my getting traditional medical help.

BudoPo

Mancrazy,

My friend with migraines says that Reiki lessens the intensity slightly, but he hasn't tried regular, long-term treatments; just when he gets an attack. Like you, he's also tried everything for attacks, and nothing works well. My brother said that chiropractic would help (the doc would most likely adjust the top two vertebrae, and also the joint where the jaw meets the skull). I wouldn't be surprised if accupuncture helped a lot (or shiatsu, which is the same thing, but without needles).

BudoPo

Somehow this thread started with various religions and has shifted to alternative medicine. Go figure. Anybody interested in started a healing circle?

LadyXanax, welcome aboard. I kind of agree with you about some people using different religions as a form of rebellion. More often, I'd guess, is the case where someone is trying to find themselves, or is dissatisfied with what they grew up in. The people who flaunt lots of symbolic jewelry (crosses, pentacles, etc) probably have some insecurity issues they need to deal with. They get way too wrapped up in it and use it as something tangable to hold on to (of course, I'm not implying that if someone is really into their religion they are insecure, just that it's not uncommon).

shammy

Reiki story

Originally posted by BudoPo
Shammy,

Actually, Reiki is believed to have first been taught by the first Buddha. The only relation it has with Jesus is that some people feel that Reiki is what he used to heal people (Buddha did similar healings, but lived about 500 B.C.E.). It really doesn't have origins with Jesus, per se.

Even the inverted pentagram isn't really a evil symbol. It was first used by Anton Levay, who started the whole modern Satanist thing (the two points on top represented the horns of the devil). So, it really doesn't have any big historical background.

Rogre, to clarify, when I learned reiki the story in all the books is that Mikao Usui was a teacher in Japan and his students asked how Jesus/Buddha did their healing and how they could learn it also. He went on a quest to find the answer and ended up on a 21 day fast/meditation up in a mountain (I forget which one) and on the 21st day a light came to him and when it hit him he was shown all the symbols of reiki. He ran down the mountain and stubbed his toe along the way. Instinctively he grabbed it and he felt the energy from his hands and his toe was healed. He then knew he had obtained the long lost secrets of the healing energy. Before he died, he made a new reiki master who made another before he died. Eventually it got to Hawaya Takata who made many masters and that's how it spread to the US (she was from Hawaii I believe). That is the reason I said Jesus and Buddha simply because they both were healers. :)
As for the pentagram I know it isn't designed for evil. I meant that the inverted pentagram can be used by people worshipping 'the devil' because that is how they corrupt it just like using the cross upside down. There is a pagan god that is represented in the Baphomet also and that is surely not satanic. Some people just can't get their own symbols I guess!!!

shammy

Do I know you cariblue???

In Lusby, they use to hold a monthly meeting and do a free introductory session. A friend of mine (known as one of the "Witches of Lusby) invited to come and try it out.

Cariblue? I go to the monthly reiki share at one of the "witches of Lusby"'s house every month. I think you are talking about this same person. It would be funny if we know each other as well! She is actually my reiki "mama" who attuned me to reiki I and II! Send me a pm and we'll talk ;)

shammy

LadyXanax do I know you too???

Originally posted by LadyXanax
I am beginning to think it has become the newest FAD to become a practioner of earth based religions. I see many people these days wearing pentacles and other type jewelry because it is fashionable. *my opinion* I feel you do not need to parade around in witch attire in order to be a witch...

I may have met you at the lusby gatherings as well. Send me a pm too!!
I agree that a lot of people are drawn to earth based religions but I think that is a good thing as long as they are sincere and not doing it to be "cool". I have known since I was a little girl that there was something more to nature and that I would find my path when I got older. I bought my first book on witchcraft when I was probably 9 or 10 years old and I've been in love with it ever since. I think that you don't have to be a Wiccan to be a witch let alone dress in black all the time, or decorate yourself in lavish jewelry. I do, however, wear a pentacle somewhere on my body at all times because for me it is a reminder that I am guarded and guided and always protected in my life and it reminds me also to be as good a person as I can and strive to help others whenever possible. I can't stand it when people say stupid stuff like "oh that's the werewolf symbol" or "you must be a satanist". It's so ridiculous that people can have such narrow minds and talk about things they have no comprehension of whatsoever! I am just so thankful to have found the group in Lusby that I can relate with. It would be funny if you and I and cariblue have all been there together before! A small small world it is!

shammy

LAST ONE... WHEW!

Sorry all but I'm trying to catch up from last night :D

Mancrazy... I have severe migraines also. Most of the time I am in too much pain to do anything other than lay there and try to sleep it off. However, the times that I do reiki myself it helps alot. What is unusual is that my hands are alway hot when I heal and I get hot all over as well. But when I treat my migraines my hands are ice cold and I am cool all over instead. It feels better that way but it is just one of the things that amazes me about practicing reiki. You pick up so many different sensations. Like I said before, you should definitely try it out sometime!

BudoPo

Shammy,

Yeah, that's the story I heard about Mikao Usui, too. I just read your post differently (it sounded to me like you were saying Jesus originated Reiki).

With the symbols, yeah, some people just take others' and corrupt them. I was just pointing out how the satanist twist to the pentagram came about. When people see you wearing a pentagram and say you must be a Satanist, I think it's usually ignorance about it, not so much small mindedness. You know, I sometimes wear a small Star of David that was my grandfather's. It's mounted on a small rectangular block of gold. I don't know how many times people asked me what the block symbolizes. I usually say that it's just what they mounted the star to.

I'd expect that your hands would feel cold when dealing with migraines. Heat is good to relax muscles, but I'd think cold feels better for migraines. Reiki just knows what to do. Did you ever notice that when you're working on someone, the hotter your hands feel to them, the cooler your hands feel to you?

Reiki story: I once went rock climbing with a friend of mine and his niece and nephews. His niece sprained her ankle getting out of the van (she stepped into a gutter). He asked me to give her Reiki, which I did, even though I had a feeling not to bother. Her ankle didn't take any Reiki. Later we found out that her ankle was actually broken, so the Reiki knew not to flow (you don't want to promote healing before the bone is set).

shammy

Nope...

Shammy and Ladyxanax...wondering if you got my messages, of it there is a glitch...let me know.

I don't have any new messages... maybe send me an email (powerssm@hotmail.com)

shammy

Roger =)

Sometimes I get asked if I am Jewish because of the pentacle I wear. I tell them no and that the symbol I wear is not the star of david and then just leave it at that. I do have a star of david but for special occasions.
I have noticed the change in temperature in what I am feeling and what the patient feels. My dad will reach up and grab my hands because he says they are so hot but I have been feeling them cooling down!

BudoPo

Ooookay...I've never heard of someone confusing a pentagram with a Star of David. Did anyone tell you exactly why they thought you were Jewish (that is, explain that it was the star you were wearing or something)?

Don't you just love when they grab your hands to see how "hot" they are, and then just wonder why they're not? I always liked that.

Cariblue, I think for some people Earth religions are a fad, but for most I think you're right; they're not satisfied with one religion, or feel it's missing something, so they look at alternatives. Earth religions (and Buddhism, too, most likely) offer philosophies that a lot of people can relate to. Unfortuneately, there are a lot of misconceptions in the general population, like Wiccans worship Satan and Buddhists shave their heads and sell flowers at the airports.

shammy

HAHA!

That was great! Flowers at the airport... :p

Yeah, it is a nice experience when you know the person you are working on is very receptive to the energy. So many people try to deny that they feel anything. I won't even reiki my fiance because all he would do is try to say it didn't work and make fun of it! Nerd!

As for the star of david mix-up yes they said it was because of my necklace. One person just didn't count the points properly. He realized his mistake when I pointed it out to him. Get it right people! Haha, have a good weekend all :D

BudoPo

I saw Star Wars yesterday, and there were previews for the sequel to The Matrix (actually, I think there are 2 sequels). I remember when I saw the movie, there's a huge Buddhist theme to it (how we see life is really an illusion). Although, someone I know saw a Jessus theme (a prophosized person comes to save humanity). Any comments on this?

BTW, Star Wars had a bit of Buddhism in it, when Obi Wan keeps telling Anakin to stay in the present moment.