Anyone looking for a companion horse?

fallon3386

I have a 28 year old Thoroughbred gelding that I have zero room for and I am currently having to board him and just can't afford it anymore. He is an amazing horse with great stamina, he is physically fit and I ride him once a week, but I am trying to find him a home as a companion b/c he is starting to be a bit bi-polar under the saddle. He is a wonderful ride and he jumps at least 3', but he is starting to bolt on me and buck like crazy and so I know his behavior can be fixed but I do not have the time he needs right now, nor the money to keep him. Please let me know if there is any interest.

bosox

http://travellersrestfarm.com/care.htm

I noticed that you are looking to go out take lessons and show. If you take 1 lesson a week and enter 1 schooling show a month--that will cover this guy's retirement board.

I'd have to disagree he is fit. Most horses can not stay fit with just getting ridden 1x a week. He is not becoming bi-polar u/s...he is probably telling you..."I hurt!" Bolting and bucking is normally a sign of pain in a well schooled horse. At 28--3 feet is probably too much for him esp. since he is not in regular work.

Travellers Rest is the right thing to do...or another farm like that.

fallon3386

Thanks. I have known this horse for a very long time and I truly believe that he is just feeling really good. He was not in the best situation before and I believe he has a new outlook on life. I just wanted to see if anyone needed an extra friend. Thanks for the information on the retirement barn it seems like an awesome place.

devinej

i have to agree with bosox....jumping 3 ft with riding once per week is not good for any horse let alone a 28 year old...he's hurting!

fallon3386

I don't jump him 3' I just know that is what he can do. I do small jumps b/c I am just getting comfortable jumping myself. I totally understand where you guys are coming from and I really would like to see him retired somewhere. He is an absolutely wonderful horse and he is so dedicated and he deserves nothing but wonderful things, but my problem is I am totally overwhelmed and I cannot afford him. I would like to see him go be someone's companion. No more riding him for me:) Thanks for everything.