Anyone own/use a mosquito trap in the area ?

Bonehead

Looking for information on an effective mosquito trap for at least an acre. I have researched the net but none of the commercial types receive consistent good ratings. What are you using ?

Goldenhawk

Some years ago I bought a propane-fired mosquito trap with octenol lures and a sticky pad to capture whatever entered the trap. Ran it as advertised for a few months, went thru a couple tanks of propane, and replaced the octenol lures as recommended. Caught maybe 50-100 mosquitos total, despite still being swarmed whenever we were outside. Decided it wasn't worth the high cost for the tiny benefit.

(I did NOT try the fan-assisted variety. I didn't want to run an extension cord to the area where it was located.)

I also tried one of these little lamps from Lowes. TOTALLY worthless. Caught dozens of moths, but only a few mosquitos.

The only thing that's ever made a tangible benefit for me has been a Black Flag propane-fired fogger and the associated fog juice. Seems to knock them back hard for a few days after each use. But it's only really possible in very still air, otherwise the fog blows away too quickly.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am very interested in this topic. We use the all natural garlic spray that hub disperses on the tractor mower. It works. The only thing is, no matter what we do, our 18 month old grandson is a mosquito magnet. He can walk outside, and within a minute, he has mosquitos all over him. I know it has to do with body chemistry, but I would love to find a product that really works. I have citronella candles, but they don’t really work. I have heard that lemon grass works. I wouldn’t really care because mosquitos don’t bother me, But, from what I read, mosquitos are carrying more and more disease.

Bonehead

Thanks Hawk, all of the reviews that I read say pretty much the same thing.....I will look into the fogger.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some years ago I bought a propane-fired mosquito trap with octenol lures and a sticky pad to capture whatever entered the trap. Ran it as advertised for a few months, went thru a couple tanks of propane, and replaced the octenol lures as recommended. Caught maybe 50-100 mosquitos total, despite still being swarmed whenever we were outside. Decided it wasn't worth the high cost for the tiny benefit.

I had a similar experience with one of the fancy and $$ units that used CO2, 110V, and had a flashy multi-colored rotating light system in side to attract the skeeters. We jokingly referred to it as the "bug discotheque". Unfortunately, though it did attract and trap bugs, mosquitoes were seldom in mix. ;-p

limblips

PREMO Member
We use a thermacell when camping and when hunting. They come in various sizes but nothing that will cover an acre. The portable is great when deer hunting and I haven't seen deer spooked by it (yet!). The patio size is good for around a 15 ft circle. There is a bigger one but I don't know the specs on it.

Last edited:
We use a thermacell when camping and when hunting. They come in various sizes but nothing that will cover an acre. The portable is great when deer hunting and I haven't seen deer spooked by it (yet!). The patio size is good for around a 5 ft circle. There is a bigger one but I don't know the specs on it.
I got a Theracell too, the BackPacker for when I go camping. I'm a 'skeeter magnet so need all the help I can get. This one makes a 15' radius zone, but I'm sure if there is any breeze at all it becomes ineffective. Haven't used it yet, no idea how well it will work.

I keep getting emails from my termite/pest company, they offer yard treatment for 'skeeters. Maybe it would be worth a call to a few of the pest companies to see what they can offer.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I keep getting emails from my termite/pest company, they offer yard treatment for 'skeeters. Maybe it would be worth a call to a few of the pest companies to see what they can offer.

We do our own and immediate neighbor's yards...bought a small 12V-powered boom sprayer from Tractor Supply with a 20-gallon poly tank and use Talstar. Works very well.

McCheese

I am very interested in this topic. We use the all natural garlic spray that hub disperses on the tractor mower. It works. The only thing is, no matter what we do, our 18 month old grandson is a mosquito magnet. He can walk outside, and within a minute, he has mosquitos all over him. I know it has to do with body chemistry, but I would love to find a product that really works. I have citronella candles, but they don’t really work. I have heard that lemon grass works. I wouldn’t really care because mosquitos don’t bother me, But, from what I read, mosquitos are carrying more and more disease.

I've been reading a lot about such "magnetism" - https://www.healthline.com/health/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more#attraction. In short, some people are really more attractive to mosquitos because of genes. If your body produces a certain odor then you're in trouble.
I haven't used mosquito repellents on such a large scale, but I think that fogger should be enough. At home I have a ultrasonic repellent and couple of light zappers, which are usually enough to deal with the issue.

PeaceBay

I use a frog pond. Has worked last 2 years except in the month of August.
Seriously, frogs avidly eat mosquitoes and frog pond won't poison kids/pets unless animal manure gets in it.
Also had a pool in SC. When untended last few years I had ZERO mosquitoes, lots of frogs!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Looking for information on an effective mosquito trap for at least an acre. I have researched the net but none of the commercial types receive consistent good ratings. What are you using ?
Save some money and plant some natural repelling plants, such as marigolds, that act passively and make your property look and smell nice throughout the summer. Just plant, water, and forget.

Put a purple martin house. Mosquitoes are their favorite food!!!!
I used to have 3 houses, with 50-60 birds. Over the years, the birds stopped returning, I suspect the surrounding trees got too big, and the town sprays for skeeters. A few years ago, I took the houses down. Last year I took down a couple of big maples, so the open space they need is back, and was thinking of putting up new houses this year.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Over the years I built up a tolerance to whatever reaction our indigenous breed caused, then came the Asian Tger mosquitoes and it started all over again. I get a very slight reaction, but it goes away within minutes. They're really a small annoyance now unless they land on my face.:twitch:

Over the years I built up a tolerance to whatever reaction our indigenous breed caused, then came the Asian Tger mosquitoes and it started all over again. I get a very slight reaction, but it goes away within minutes. They're really a small annoyance now unless they land on my face.:twitch:
I don't tolerate skeeter bites at all. The bite swells immediately and itches for days. If there is a skeeter within a mile, it will seek me out.

About 20 years ago, I was working in the backyard and got eaten alive. Within a day or so, I was sick as a dog with symptoms I'd never had before. Sick for almost 2 weeks. I now do whatever I need to keep from getting bit.