Anyone RV living full time?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Monello talked to a man yesterday who set off with the wife for RV adventure. Like, one trip in and they both took ill, and now that's that. They waited too long to embark on their dream.

So don't wait too long.

Auntie Biache'

I lived in mine for almost 6 mos while looking for a house when my job relocated me. Me, my daughter, grandson and 2 cats. 40' feet overall, including gooseneck.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Any one take the plunge in the last couple of years? Now with the virus mentality, a lot of people are avoiding hotels and towing their digs behind them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Any one take the plunge in the last couple of years? Now with the virus mentality, a lot of people are avoiding hotels and towing their digs behind them.
We work from home, out of our RV.. we can disappear for weeks at a time, and "work" while vacationing.. Now Nicholas even has virtual school, so we can continue through the fall and winter.

We did a sales pitch from Coast to Coast, Travel resorts. With a membership, they have 6 parks you can stay in for free, and another 100 or so that cost $5 - $10 night.. sounded like a great deal, and maybe it would be, but they wanted 15k for their membership (lifetime).

Then I though, when we retire, and DO go full time it will pay for itself, but we stayed at Battlefield, Gettysburg for our free introduction to their campgrounds.. we were NOT impressed. Location was great, wifi was best campground wifi yet.. but VERY limited FHU sites, no cable.. I really thought for 15k they would pull out all the stops to impress us, and we were far from impressed.

We do have our fulltime ready and capable camper, just waiting for the day.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I lived in mine for almost 6 mos while looking for a house when my job relocated me. Me, my daughter, grandson and 2 cats. 40' feet overall, including gooseneck.
We have a 42 foot, 5 slide outs, and a garage under the Master Bedroom. We had a smaller one, but we realized when the weather went bad we didn't have a place to hang out, current RV has a huge front living room, with large TV, theater reclining seats, and two sleeper couches. now we have room to comfortably hand out inside even with friends.

Monello

PREMO Member
We work from home, out of our RV.. we can disappear for weeks at a time, and "work" while vacationing.. Now Nicholas even has virtual school, so we can continue through the fall and winter.

We did a sales pitch from Coast to Coast, Travel resorts. With a membership, they have 6 parks you can stay in for free, and another 100 or so that cost $5 - $10 night.. sounded like a great deal, and maybe it would be, but they wanted 15k for their membership (lifetime).

Then I though, when we retire, and DO go full time it will pay for itself, but we stayed at Battlefield, Gettysburg for our free introduction to their campgrounds.. we were NOT impressed. Location was great, wifi was best campground wifi yet.. but VERY limited FHU sites, no cable.. I really thought for 15k they would pull out all the stops to impress us, and we were far from impressed.

We do have our fulltime ready and capable camper, just waiting for the day.
$15K will buy you a lot of campground sites. Plus you wouldn't be limited in location. But what works for me might not work for you. The Florida Keys was our most expensive month at around $2,400. Tombstone, in a decent RV park, set us back $350 for the month with another $90 for our electric bill. Most times we run between $600 to $900 a month which breaks down to between $20 and $30 a night. Many campgrounds charge at least $45 and up for a single night stay. Hopping all over the place is a lot pricier.

Heading back down to South Padre Island this winter, we have a few shorter stays. But we have to do that in order to get to south TX by the first of November.

FWIW, I think your family would do well with this lifestyle.

Monello

PREMO Member
We have a 42 foot, 5 slide outs, and a garage under the Master Bedroom. We had a smaller one, but we realized when the weather went bad we didn't have a place to hang out, current RV has a huge front living room, with large TV, theater reclining seats, and two sleeper couches. now we have room to comfortably hand out inside even with friends.
Just for grins, can you give me both of your rigs make & models? I'm interested in seeing the floor plans so I can compare them. Of course your cramped isn't necessarily someone else's cramped. Last week we saw a work camper that stays in a teardrop trailer. It's not much more than a covered bed. Not sure what he does on his days off when it rains. Many campgrounds still haven't opened their club houses due to the plague.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just for grins, can you give me both of your rigs make & models? I'm interested in seeing the floor plans so I can compare them. Of course your cramped isn't necessarily someone else's cramped. Last week we saw a work camper that stays in a teardrop trailer. It's not much more than a covered bed. Not sure what he does on his days off when it rains. Many campgrounds still haven't opened their club houses due to the plague.
FIrst was a Winnebgo Minnie Plus (5th Wheel) 27RLTS

Now we tow around a Grand Design Momentum 376THS (S is a mid year design change)..

Our current is made specifically for boondocking as well, HUGE freshwater and black and grey tanks, as well as an onboard generator. Haven't actually boondocked with it yet, though Gettysburg was close to it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Where'd you stay in Gettysburg? The KOA there is pretty nice.
We were at Battlefield Gettysburg.. the Travel Resorts campground. Location was great, butted up against the National Park, and even had a couple of monuments right next to the campground just down a short trail.

We've had a lot of luck with Mom and Pop owned campgrounds.. We stay in one in N Haverhill NH that is amazing.. surprised KOA hasn't sucked them up.. probably 5 or 6 KOAs close by, but not one is near as nice, or as nice a location.. and CHEAP!!

And Americamps in Ashland, VA.. Camp Wilderness is close by, is real nice, but Americamps has a great feel to it, and good location.. everytime we go there the new owners have added something, or renovated something.. About half the price as the KOA in Doswell.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We've had a lot of luck with Mom and Pop owned campgrounds..

So have we but if there's nothing that jumps out at me when I'm planning our stops KOA is always a sure thing. You know most of the time there's going to be cable and wifi and a pool and clean bath houses, which is all we require if we're just there for a few days.

But you're right, KOA is usually more expensive.