Anyone Sell on eBay?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've been receiving (and ignoring) messages from eBay about updating my information and enrolling in their "New and Improved" payment system. Are there any eBay sellers out there that have upgraded to this new system, and if so, is it as wonderful as they say it is? I've got a lot of precious items (wifey called it junk!) that I've been hanging onto in hopes that I would find the perfect project for said items. Priorities change.

I've seen what @SailorGirl has been having to deal with and gained a lot of perspective. That's a tremendous amount of work to put someone through. I don't want either of my kids having to fend off vicious buzzards protecting their eggs in a snake infested shed while worrying about black widow and brown recluse spiders falling down their shirt collars, while they try not to trip over any rattlers or side winders. So I thought I'd stick with an interface I've been with for ages and utilized my Cedar Point account for business transactions only.

Anyway, are there any eBay sellers out there that would be so kind as to share their experiences, good or bad?

UglyBear

I've been receiving (and ignoring) messages from eBay about updating my information and enrolling in their "New and Improved" payment system. Are there any eBay sellers out there that have upgraded to this new system, and if so, is it as wonderful as they say it is? I've got a lot of precious items (wifey called it junk!) that I've been hanging onto in hopes that I would find the perfect project for said items. Priorities change.

I've seen what @SailorGirl has been having to deal with and gained a lot of perspective. That's a tremendous amount of work to put someone through. I don't want either of my kids having to fend off vicious buzzards protecting their eggs in a snake infested shed while worrying about black widow and brown recluse spiders falling down their shirt collars, while they try not to trip over any rattlers or side winders. So I thought I'd stick with an interface I've been with for ages and utilized my Cedar Point account for business transactions only.

Anyway, are there any eBay sellers out there that would be so kind as to share their experiences, good or bad?
Not EBay experience, but try a local option — Bunting Auctions in Dunkirk. I browse there all the time, and saw people drop off truck loads of stuff.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
SPIDERS????? THERE ARE SPIDERS OUT THERE??? WHEN DID YOU SEE SPIDERS OUT THERE???

My son does it all the time - I'll get back to you later?
Actually, I haven't seen any signs of spiders when I was there.

Thanks. I just have an uneasy feeling about giving them so much PII, but I understand that the US Gov't is just trying to get a cut of any profits made. You would think that once something is purchased new from a store the taxes are paid. But no, big brother wants a cut each time an item changes hands. Now eBay has decided that they are reporting sales and issuing 1099 forms.

PeoplesElbow

Actually, I haven't seen any signs of spiders when I was there.

Thanks. I just have an uneasy feeling about giving them so much PII, but I understand that the US Gov't is just trying to get a cut of any profits made. You would think that once something is purchased new from a store the taxes are paid. But no, big brother wants a cut each time an item changes hands. Now eBay has decided that they are reporting sales and issuing 1099 forms.
A friend of mine probably does 100k in sales a year. The first year he did it he got hit with a letter from the IRS about taxes on his PayPal transactions. It was mostly a hobby and he made very little in the end, but he didnt keep track what he paid out and it cost him to run his little coin store. This was atleast 10 years ago, so if you do a lot of sales keep records.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A friend of mine probably does 100k in sales a year. The first year he did it he got hit with a letter from the IRS about taxes on his PayPal transactions. It was mostly a hobby and he made very little in the end, but he didnt keep track what he paid out and it cost him to run his little coin store. This was atleast 10 years ago, so if you do a lot of sales keep records.
Thank you. They're now implementing their own tracking system and issuing a 1099-k forms for sellers. This actually makes it easier to keep track of total sales. I don't know if I'll have over $600 in sales for a year, but it's going to help many people keep better records. I just don't like the idea of supplying the last 4 digits of my SS# to them for the privilege of selling on their platform. I suppose after 30 years of safeguarding my personal information because of work, I just have a hard time giving up this info.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I’m in the same boat....occasional seller and don’t want my bank info in yet another place. Still on the fence on this one...

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My kids are actually looking forward to dad's "junk".

I think.

At least, its a running family joke.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My kids are actually looking forward to dad's "junk".

I think.

At least, its a running family joke.

I sent this cartoon to my kids a few years ago. They didn't laugh much....

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
The favorite joke goes something like ---

(Dad's got a cold) "Dad says he's dying. Can you stop in and check on him?"

(After the welfare check) "He's ok. You don't have to pack your s**t and get out today."

"And just where do you think I'm going?"

"You can go live with grandma."

"You don't want to live with your mother, what makes you think I wanna live with mine?"

Just not sure how much of a joke they see it as....

PeoplesElbow

Sadly, Facebook marketplace will probably reach the most people locally. I joined FB just for that finding out that I had to wait before I had access to marketplace annoyed me.

Even craigslist has given way to FB marketplace.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hey! I represent that!

Got anything good for sale?
Mostly boat stuff. Are you in the market for any 70s OMC single lever control boxes? Sellers on eBay are asking $200 each. Some don't even have keys. Ridiculous...