Anyone take the kids out hunting today?

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Hubby took our 12 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy out today for the jr firearms day. Our son killed himself his first buck... 6 points :)

Attachments

• Deer Hunting 2010 228-1.jpg
    Deer Hunting 2010 228-1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Deer Hunting 2010 118.jpg
    Deer Hunting 2010 118.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 110

Bonehead

Great !

Congrats to you all for raising a hunter ! And a great kill for him, just respect the animal that was taken, use all of it that you can.

LusbyMom

Thanks!! Last year he killed a button buck.. it was kinda small so this was huge to him. It's at the butcher now getting cut and packaged up. I am excited to try and make jerky for the first time.. hopefully it's good :lol:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
We took seven "youths" out today and harvested six deer. It was great day and everyone had a great time.

bcp

In My Opinion
I took 10 kids out today to the 5th Annual "Pray For the Deer" P.E.T.A peace ralley.

then we all went to Ruth Chris for dinner.

All in all a very moving day.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I took 10 kids out today to the 5th Annual "Pray For the Deer" P.E.T.A peace ralley.
I bet those rally folks would have appreciated if you had brought along a variety of jerkies - venison, beef, turkey - to keep them nourished while they protested animal cruelty.

A thought for next time. :yay:

Bonehead

Jerky

Thanks!! Last year he killed a button buck.. it was kinda small so this was huge to him. It's at the butcher now getting cut and packaged up. I am excited to try and make jerky for the first time.. hopefully it's good :lol:

I have a good recipe/method. Do you have a dehydrator ?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

LM, not sure how you plan to make the jerkey but 1 word of advice is to freeze the meat to the point it is frozen but still barely pliable, makes it so much easier to cut and if you're using a slice it will help stop it from clogging on the backside of the wheel.......

LusbyMom

LM, not sure how you plan to make the jerkey but 1 word of advice is to freeze the meat to the point it is frozen but still barely pliable, makes it so much easier to cut and if you're using a slice it will help stop it from clogging on the backside of the wheel.......

Not exactly sure how I will do it yet.. I have been googling it.. and I did read that it is easier to freeze it some. Which actually makes sense but I would have never thought about it :lol:

LusbyMom

then we all went to Ruth Chris for dinner.

All in all a very moving day.

:roflmao:

I bet those rally folks would have appreciated if you had brought along a variety of jerkies - venison, beef, turkey - to keep them nourished while they protested animal cruelty.

A thought for next time. :yay:
:killingme:lmao:

fisherpw

Congrats on the deer. You can use an oven to make jerky, just need to keep the oven door open to let the moisture out. Walmart has good jerky seasoning kits - spices and cure with cooking instructions. If you thin slice the meat, I sprinkle seasoning on each piece and pound it flat with a meat mallet, place it in a gallon zip lock for a day for the seasoning to saturate the meat. Good weekend project.

somdshootnet

It seemed like this was a great year for new youth hunters. There were many more this year than past years and the future is looking bright at this point.
We took several young fellas out on Saturday for the youth hunt. should have some photos posted up on the SMST website in a few days. Everybody had a great time and we took a few deer as well. We've gotten a lot of stories and photos emailed in for posting on the website, just a matter of getting the time to post them up. Hopefully we can get some more to promote the youths in the area too. We always look forward to the local content we receive.

navy_hower

My pics are under the thread "Trying this again, first MD buck" or something like that. Its near the top of the outdoor forum page.