Anyone try the HORSE PAL from biting flies.com?

highnote

I'm getting ready to buy the horse pal BITING FLY TRAP. At $300 it is a sizable investment. Apparently from what I've read (and what my vet says) it is the most effective fly solution on the market for the types of biting flies in our area. Fly predators only work with non-biting flies (which don't bother me or the horses). I hate using insecticides, and their effectiveness is minimal at bst. I'm most concerned about the horse flies, green heads, deer flies, etc.

Anyone in SOMD have one of these? If so what is your feedback? My vet has one and he loves it.

spellbound

I'm getting ready to buy the horse pal BITING FLY TRAP. At $300 it is a sizable investment. Apparently from what I've read (and what my vet says) it is the most effective fly solution on the market for the types of biting flies in our area. Fly predators only work with non-biting flies (which don't bother me or the horses). I hate using insecticides, and their effectiveness is minimal at bst. I'm most concerned about the horse flies, green heads, deer flies, etc.

Anyone in SOMD have one of these? If so what is your feedback? My vet has one and he loves it.

My mother downloaded plans for making your own off the internet and had my father build it. We have had it set up near the barn for approximately 1 month. We have seen very little effect. If you want, I'll take some photos of ours and post them.

highnote

That would be great, I'd love to see photos. PS I did read that you shouldn't set up near barns or other buildings- it needs to be out in the open.

spellbound

That would be great, I'd love to see photos. PS I did read that you shouldn't set up near barns or other buildings- it needs to be out in the open.

I got some photos but I have to resize them before i can upload them. It might be a day or two before i can get them straight.

worthycommand

My hubby built me one recently after my horses were coming in lathered up from running from horse flies.

It works very well, catching quite a few flies per day and the horses are much happier. He is advertising them on craigslist now for $150, if anyone is interested, give me a shout.

highnote

My hubby built me one recently after my horses were coming in lathered up from running from horse flies.

It works very well, catching quite a few flies per day and the horses are much happier. He is advertising them on craigslist now for $150, if anyone is interested, give me a shout.

Any photos? What design did he use? There are several "types" of designs out there. I check CL often and never saw his trap advertised. Did he post it in "farm & garden"?

Last edited:

worthycommand

I replied to Highnote privately, but here is a photo of the one he made for me if anyone else wants to see the design...

HorseFlyTrap.jpg

Cowgirl

Those are very easy to make, and it's much cheaper to make them instead of buying one for $300! My coworker made one and she said she's seen good results.

I bought one a few years ago and would literally cackle with glee as I counted the dead flies in it. I got as many as 150 a DAY. Just like with real estate, it's all about location location location.

highnote

I bought one a few years ago and would literally cackle with glee as I counted the dead flies in it. I got as many as 150 a DAY. Just like with real estate, it's all about location location location.

Where did you end up putting yours (in relation to paddocks, barns, trees, woods line, etc)?

They say keep it out in the open, but my paddocks run all the way to the woods (there is no open areas that the horses can't get to). There is one medium sized maple tree in the middle of the field... I was thinking of fencing/boxing it in and putting it near that tree... but I think the shade might affect it negatively. Anyone use theirs in an area that gets shade?

spellbound

Here's ours. We did have a sphere underneath but I think it was too heavy so it got switched out with a plastic bag over a cardboard box.

Attachments

• CIMG0030.jpg
    CIMG0030.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 153

spellbound

Another technique we've used is a glue trap on the exterior of the barn just above the stall's dutch door. It's a board that is about 12 X 18, painted black, and covered with Tree Tanglefoot.

Attachments

• CIMG0035.jpg
    CIMG0035.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Wait4It..boom

I replied to Highnote privately, but here is a photo of the one he made for me if anyone else wants to see the design...

HorseFlyTrap.jpg

The only one causing us to dance in our skin are the huge horse flies! They're terrible this year!! All my horses have quickly learned to run to a gate if I'm outside so that I can smack the fly for them. Does anyone else think they're worse than usual?
Is this thing good for attracting these BIG, BLACK flies to keep them off the horses?? I've got wide, open spaces and half off the internet price sounds good to me.

Mine was just on the other side of the fence from the paddock the horses were in (so they couldn't reach it to destroy it). I would move it when I moved the horses - and it was always in open, more or less. Some shade, but certainly not wooded. The reason they say to put it in the open is because it's the sight of it that attracts flies. Deerflies and horseflies hunt by sight rather than scent like other flies, so they need to be able to see it.

ElliesMom

I hate the big black flies (bombers). So do the horses. IF you find a remedy other than a good crunch squish, let me know.

highnote

Another technique we've used is a glue trap on the exterior of the barn just above the stall's dutch door. It's a board that is about 12 X 18, painted black, and covered with Tree Tanglefoot.

Where do you buy tanglefoot? I checked the tractor supply website with no luck.

highnote

FYI here's a good website I found with plans to build a fly trap, slightly different design then the ones on biting flies.com and the homemade ones listed above:

Plywood Traps