AOC declares the Electoral College to be a ‘scam’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
More from The Hill:
The freshman lawmaker said the Electoral College is a “scam” that has a “racial injustice breakdown” undermining the votes of people of color.
“Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as apposed to a ‘one person, one vote’ system where all our votes are counted equally,” she says, before pushing back against the argument that eliminating the Electoral College would give big states too much power.
“Could you [imagine] if we had this kind democracy-altering ‘fairness’ provision for literally any other group?” she asks. “If we weighed, for example, black and indigenous voters more because of unfairness?”
Ocasio-Cortez later asserts that plenty of Republicans live in Democratic-leaning states, saying that their votes would count equally in a popular vote.
“Facts are facts America,” Ocasio-Cortez concludes. “The Electoral College has to go.”

AOC declares the Electoral College to be a ‘scam’ that perpetuates ‘racial injustice’ (but she’s cool with mocking middle America)

herb749

Her handlers left her on her own. This is so 3 yrs ago.

She must be digging back looking for things to talk about since no one is there to feed her.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
With all the chaos and stupidity they've wrought, it's hard to believe OAC and She Qaeda have only been in office for seven months.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Refresh my memory.... I thought the freshman representative from Queens wasn't about the facts?

--- End of line (MCP)

Clem72

I'm all for switching to a direct vote, as long as they let every State decide whether or not they will remain in the union first. Afterall, it was the EC system in part that got many smaller states to agree to our federal system in the first place.

glhs837

Power with Control
Refresh my memory.... I thought the freshman representative from Queens wasn't about the facts?

--- End of line (MCP)

Right, she would rather be morally right instead of factually right. Now, I've often mentioned I prefer to be morally right over being legally right, but morals are feelings, not facts. Morals can vary depending on culture, as many goats and small boys can attest to, but facts may not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"You may have heard this Electoral College argument the most: that families in suburbs [and] cities MUST have their vote suppressed in order to give rural votes a 'fair shake,'" Ocasio-Cortez said. "Could you imagine if we had this kind of democracy-altering 'fairness' provision for literally any other group? If we weighted, for example, Black [and] Indigenous voters more because of fairness?"

"But that 'rural representation' argument doesn't hold up either, as there are rural parts in virtually every state and popular vote elections show that candidates still visit center and rural communities' needs," she continued.

The freshman lawmaker also argued that Republicans live in blue states and that their votes would count equally in a popular vote-based system. Rather, it eliminates preferential treatment for some voters over others, she contended.

"#FactsAreFacts, America," Ocasio-Cortez added. "The Electoral College has got to go."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50854/ocasio-cortez-calling-another-american-institution-molly-prince

Last edited:

Yooper

Right, she would rather be morally right instead of factually right. Now, I've often mentioned I prefer to be morally right over being legally right, but morals are feelings, not facts. Morals can vary depending on culture, as many goats and small boys can attest to, but facts may not.
Hence, my confusion over this quote from The Hill article:
Ocasio-Cortez later asserts that plenty of Republicans live in Democratic-leaning states, saying that their votes would count equally in a popular vote.
“Facts are facts America,” Ocasio-Cortez concludes. “The Electoral College has to go.”

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

I'm all for switching to a direct vote, as long as they let every State decide whether or not they will remain in the union first. Afterall, it was the EC system in part that got many smaller states to agree to our federal system in the first place.
I'm absolutely fine with the Electoral College because it balances opposing desires/goals/tendencies across multiple domains. Direct vote would fundamentally change the nature of the Union. And to my mind, not at all for the good.

But your take is intriguing. Curious to read more. One of the questions I have is how you quantify smaller/larger. I'm assuming you mean citizen population, but it could also be state size, personal wealth aggregation within each state, natural resource wealth by state, etc. Right?

I do agree that concessions had to be made to the smaller states to get their concurrence. So who would be the ones to leave? Small states? Large states? A combination? I could see both large and small going, but I think the most likely split would be along ideological lines. I could even imagine a scenario where states stay/leave based on water rights.

What would the purpose of the vote be? Simple stay or leave? Or something else?

Hoping to read more.

Cheers!

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The End of the Electoral College will be the end of the Country

People in the ' Fly Over States ' will not tolerate for very long being taxed to pay for fantasy Progressive Policies

22AcaciaAve

Well, two things here. First, she obviously does not understand the purpose of the electoral college in which case she should not comment on it as it only serves to display her ignorance. Second, good luck to anyone, her included, on getting rid of the electoral college. It would take an amendment to the US constitution which would require 2/3 of the house and senate votes and 3/4 of the states to ratify. It's not going to happen. She would be better off trying to convince more states to sign on to that pact where they give there electoral votes to the popular vote winner. Even that might be problematic though. It seems to invite a legal challenge from voters in any state where their candidate wins the state electoral vote yet it is given to the other candidate. Here's a better thought: Find a way to appeal to enough voters so that you win the electoral vote. Find a way to make the current system beneficial to yourself instead of trying to change the rules whenever you lose!

WingsOfGold

Shame, if she were to visit London she could well be knifed or worse if she went to the shithole of Puerto Rico.

BOP

"You may have heard this Electoral College argument the most: that families in suburbs [and] cities MUST have their vote suppressed in order to give rural votes a 'fair shake,'" Ocasio-Cortez said. "Could you imagine if we had this kind of democracy-altering 'fairness' provision for literally any other group? If we weighted, for example, Black [and] Indigenous voters more because of fairness...."
Maybe we should weight her... and then toss her into the Charles to see if she floats.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why are Democrat House members so ****ing stupid???

My god.

Her, Eric Swalwell, Maxine Waters, Hank Johnson, the list goes on and on of just blatantly flat out stupid Congressional Democrats.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who was the guy who took to the House floor to laud Biggie Smalls? That's an alarmingly retarded person.