AOC - Growing Cauliflower is Colonial

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“So that’s really how you do it right. That is such a core component of the Green New Deal is having all of these projects make sense in a cultural context, and it’s an area that we get the most pushback on because people say, ‘Why do you need to do that? That’s too hard," she adds.

Then she gets to the meat of her point.

"But when you really think about it — when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something — what you’re doing is you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism,” Ocasio-Cortez says. “That is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them.”

It's not clear whether Ocasio-Cortez means "yuca" or "yucca," and is just pronouncing the former wrong (which is kind of an example of colonial behavior). "Yuca" (pronounced as "you-kah") is a root vegetable that's native to Asia and Africa and can be found in certain parts of South America; it's sort of similar to a potato. "Yucca" (prounounced the way Ocasio-Cortez says it) is a desert plant that is mostly ornamental.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/47509/ocasio-cortez-growing-cauliflower-community-garden-emily-zanotti

glhs837

Power with Control
Taken the most lenient way, is she saying that not growing the plant from Africa isnt done becuase it's colonial, when in reality it's becuase the climate for the one plant is equatorial, while the climate in New York is not? Isnt that like saying that Maine farmers are colonial for not growing bananas? If I can grow cualiflower in a vacant lot with about $500 dollars and grow enough to feed 50 families, or I need a $100,000 greenhouse with anouther $50,00 in a climeate control system to grow a plant that only gows on the equator, then why the hell would I grow the second plant? "I want things just like they were back home, you know, the place I left becuase it wasn't possible to live there anymore".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sometimes that girl is so ignorant she makes my head hurt and I have to put her on blackout until I recover.

"I want things just like they were back home, you know, the place I left becuase it wasn't possible to live there anymore".
Exactly.