AOC - On Congressional Pay Raises

Hijinx

Anyone who thinks a lousy 4-5-or $6,000 pay raise for someone making $174,000 a year is going to keep them honest and free from corruption is a great candidate for that Bridge I am trying to sell.

Steny Hoyer raised over 3 million dollars for his re election campaign.

Does anyone think they spend that kind of money to get re-elected to a $174,000 dollar job?

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Isn't warning of increasing the pressure to "keep dark money loopholes open" an admission that members of congress currently have dark money loopholes open? And inferring that it's dishonest simply drives home that they can't be trusted now so why should they be rewarded with a pay increase?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So her raise from a bartenders salary to a congress-critter wasn't enough? Maybe she can now afford an apartment that comes with a person to chop up her waste since she's never seen nor learned how to use a garbage disposal.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
an admission that members of congress currently have dark money loopholes open?

Yeah so instead of trying to close 'dark money' loopholes ...... give me a pay raise

like bitching about low poll ratings in the primary are because it misogyny or sexism

well honey its YOUR Party in the Primary that is being sexist not GOP / Independents

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait, so there are dark money holes open now, and if we give them a raise, they are going to close them? Or open them wider if they dont get a raise? I thought dark money was a campaign finance term. What does that have to with CongressCritters salary? Are they spending thier salary for reeelection? Sooo many questions.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wait, so there are dark money holes open now, and if we give them a raise, they are going to close them? Or open them wider if they dont get a raise? I thought dark money was a campaign finance term. What does that have to with CongressCritters salary? Are they spending thier salary for reeelection? Sooo many questions.

Reminds me of the logically-bereft and mentally-deranged claim they keep coming up with that they'll "pay" for new things by "reducing waste and corruption". And I'm over here like ..WTF???..if you know there is waste and corruption worth that much money, why wasn't something done to stop it long time ago???

nutz

No
Yes, wont matter
0, just another excuse for needing mo money.
Haha, thats a good one. Isnt the real question, how much do they get to keep whether or not they get reelected”?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

This is in addition to their book deals and speaking engagements, not to mention the palm greasings and investment tips they get from lobbyists. That's how they manage to amass wealth in excess of millions of dollars on a $174k salary.

If it were up to me I wouldn't pay them a dime. They are way overcompensated for what they do.