AOC - SAYS U.S. IS 'RUNNING CONCENTRATION CAMPS ON OUR SOUTHERN BORDER'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border and that is exactly what they are," Ocasio-Cortez said in an Instagram live stream on Monday evening. "They are concentration camps."

Comparing the detention facilities that migrants, including families and children, are being held in near the border to the Nazi concentration camps where millions of people were killed during the Holocaust, Ocasio-Cortez said the phrase "Never Again" should mean something to Americans.

"I want to talk to the people that are concerned enough with humanity to say that we should not… that 'Never Again' means something," the 29-year-old New York representative said.

"The fact that concentration camps are now an institutionalized practice in the home of the free is extraordinarily disturbing and we need to do something about it," she said, in an apparent reference to the "land of the free and the home of the brave" line in "The Star-Spangled Banner."

https://www.newsweek.com/alexandria...p-migrants-border-concentration-camps-1444544

So I'm wondering what this first term-er is doing for the constituents of NY. What great things is she doing for them?

Midnightrider

"The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border and that is exactly what they are," Ocasio-Cortez said in an Instagram live stream on Monday evening. "They are concentration camps."

Comparing the detention facilities that migrants, including families and children, are being held in near the border to the Nazi concentration camps where millions of people were killed during the Holocaust, Ocasio-Cortez said the phrase "Never Again" should mean something to Americans.

"I want to talk to the people that are concerned enough with humanity to say that we should not… that 'Never Again' means something," the 29-year-old New York representative said.

"The fact that concentration camps are now an institutionalized practice in the home of the free is extraordinarily disturbing and we need to do something about it," she said, in an apparent reference to the "land of the free and the home of the brave" line in "The Star-Spangled Banner."

https://www.newsweek.com/alexandria...p-migrants-border-concentration-camps-1444544
god damn you are a sucker for propaganda...…..

I hate AOC and I hate even more that you being stupid is causing me to defend her, but she didn't compare anything to Nazi concentration camps.
LEARN TO READ PAST THE HEADLINES

"This week, children, immigrant children, were moved to the same internment camps where the Japanese were held in the earlier 20th century," Ocasio-Cortez said, referring to the Trump administration's decision to detain migrant children at Fort Sill, an Oklahoma Army base where Japanese Americans were once held during World War II.

BOP

"We could send her to one," he suggested helpfully.

This_person

I hate AOC and I hate even more that you being stupid is causing me to defend her, but she didn't compare anything to Nazi concentration camps.
As usual, the facts are counter to your point.

In this case, Rep Cortez disagrees with your characterization about concentration camps:

"This is not hyperbole. It is the conclusion of expert analysis," Ocasio-Cortez wrote Tuesday.
During her Instagram Live Monday, she said, "I don't use those words lightly. I don't use those words to just throw bombs. I use that word because that is what an administration that creates concentration camps is. A presidency that creates concentration camps is fascist and it's very difficult to say that."​

This_person

I hope you know you just generated 165 pages of Rumprider posting "Nah-Uh!!!"
Oh, he'll complain that she's not referring to the death camps of the Nazi's, just like Rep Cortez did. But, that does not stop the fact that she referred to the problem her party created by not funding more judges and better accommodations as "concentration camps", which she repeatedly did.

That neither she nor MidnightSpanker can accept the basic facts of communication notwithstanding, this is what "concentration camp" actually means:
con·cen·tra·tion camp
[ˌkänsənˈtrāSHən ˈˌkamp]

NOUN
1. a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz.

These are not political prisoners nor members of persecuted minorities, they are not inadequate facilities, there is no forced labor nor mass execution. Nothing about the common understanding of "concentration camp" fits these camps - and she DEFENDS using the term, not denies it.

Everything in MidnightSpanker's post with respect to what she said and what it means is factually inaccurate. I cannot speak for Spanker's feelings, so only Spanker knows if Spanker doesn't actually revere Rep. Cortez.

glhs837

Power with Control

Come'on, man. Really? The internment camps sucked and were morally wrong if not legally so. But I dont think anyone calls them concentration camps? I'm open to examples, mianstream, not frothing at the mouth fringers. Seems like she meant exactly that. Concetration camp, and Never Again in the same bit is proof that she deliberately meant to invoke the Nazi camps. Hell it being the motto of the Jewish Defense League is the very first hit in the Wiki for the phrase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Again

You can make the case that putting illegals into the former internment camps is bad. But it is downright stupid as to equate any of those to what people in real concetration camps endured. Pretty good primer on the internment camps here, and the basic organization of same. Medicals, education and food were all supplied, with the internees making up the vast majority of the labor pool.

https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/exhibits/ww2/Pages/threats-fence.aspx

glhs837

Power with Control
Are you really going to claim that saying concertration camp and Never Again DOESNT refer to the Nazi camps? Okay lets talk about kamikaze aircraft raids. No, not the Japanese ones, I mean the Doolittle raid. Thats how silly that comes off. I totally didnt say anything about Japan, did I?

This_person

just show me where she mentioned Nazis and I will let it go. :yay:

I quoted what she actually said
Funny, so did Gurps. So did I. SHE claims she was talking about concentration camps, and MEANT it.

So, you say she did not mean specifically "Nazi" concentration camps, but she DID say, "Never Again" should mean something.

So, what does "Never Again" mean?

According to the great historian of the Holocaust, Raul Hilberg, the phrase “Never Again” first appeared on handmade signs put up by inmates at Buchenwald in April, 1945, shortly after the camp had been liberated by U.S. forces. “I think it was really the Communists who were behind it, but I am not sure,” Hilberg said in one of the last interviews he gave before his death in the summer of 2007. Since then, “Never Again” has become kind of shorthand for the remembrance of the Shoah.

So, Rep Cortez discusses concentration camps, invokes specifically the Holocaust by using the phrase "Never Again", and your point is....what again?

Oh, yeah, factually inaccurate, as usual.

Midnightrider

Are you really going to claim that saying concertration camp and Never Again DOESNT refer to the Nazi camps? Okay lets talk about kamikaze aircraft raids. No, not the Japanese ones, I mean the Doolittle raid. Thats how silly that comes off. I totally didnt say anything about Japan, did I?
:yawn: you don't have to guess, she spelled it out. Just like I quoted. why would you ignore what she actually said?