AOC - SAYS U.S. IS 'RUNNING CONCENTRATION CAMPS ON OUR SOUTHERN BORDER'

This_person

just show me where she mentioned Nazis and I will let it go. :yay:

I quoted what she actually said
Funny, so did Gurps. So did I. SHE claims she was talking about concentration camps, and MEANT it.

So, you say she did not mean specifically "Nazi" concentration camps, but she DID say, "Never Again" should mean something.

So, what does "Never Again" mean?

According to the great historian of the Holocaust, Raul Hilberg, the phrase “Never Again” first appeared on handmade signs put up by inmates at Buchenwald in April, 1945, shortly after the camp had been liberated by U.S. forces. “I think it was really the Communists who were behind it, but I am not sure,” Hilberg said in one of the last interviews he gave before his death in the summer of 2007. Since then, “Never Again” has become kind of shorthand for the remembrance of the Shoah.

So, Rep Cortez discusses concentration camps, invokes specifically the Holocaust by using the phrase "Never Again", and your point is....what again?

Oh, yeah, factually inaccurate, as usual.
Tox, I wanted to point out this is what I'm talking about. In the cop thread, Chris and I have a difference of opinion...and while I believe I debated that issue well, that's all it really boils down to is a difference of opinion.

In this thread, MidnightSpanker is simply factually wrong on every level, and I feel I have used actual facts to counter Spanker's inaccurate opinions with actual facts.

Both threads rely on debate techniques, but one thread is simply a discussion of opinion where no one is right (even though I, of course, am right) and the other is this thread, where it is clear there is simple factual inaccuracies and factual accuracies.

glhs837

Power with Control
:yawn: you don't have to guess, she spelled it out. Just like I quoted. why would you ignore what she actually said?

I'm not, you are. She clearly invoked two different things, hoping to stain the one with mental imagery of the other. Are you saying that Never Again and concentration camp means US Japanese internment camps to anyone? Becuase thats what you appear to be saying. And thats where you would be wrong. she said concentration camp, and used the words Never Again. Thats Nazi camps, it's that simple. just like kamikaze is Japanese single seater aircraft suiciding by crashing into the target.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm not, you are. She clearly invoked two different things, hoping to stain the one with mental imagery of the other. Are you saying that Never Again and concentration camp means US Japanese internment camps to anyone? Becuase thats what you appear to be saying. And thats where you would be wrong. she said concentration camp, and used the words Never Again. Thats Nazi camps, it's that simple. just like kamikaze is Japanese single seater aircraft suiciding by crashing into the target.
:yay:

He does that crap every thread he’s in.

Midnightrider

I am saying that is what she said. Did you read the article? the "never again' and 'concentration camp' portions were very short edits. The article used them to spin up a headline. The only seemingly full quote in the article was about interment camps in the USA.

Its funny that you guys can assume she was talking about Nazis, but get all bent out of shape when people take things that trump says and infer what he means.

This_person

I am saying that is what she said. Did you read the article? the "never again' and 'concentration camp' portions were very short edits. The article used them to spin up a headline. The only seemingly full quote in the article was about interment camps in the USA.

Its funny that you guys can assume she was talking about Nazis, but get all bent out of shape when people take things that trump says and infer what he means.
This has nothing to do with Trump.

Listen to her yourself, maybe that will help

glhs837

Power with Control

I sure did, and listened.

Here, the article quotes everything except the stupid histrionic handwaving that is supposed to express her disbelief that you could be so stuoid as to agree with here. Here's the full quote .Not an edit, exact word for word. I'll transcribe the bits they left out, even though they change the meaning in no way whatsoever. You can clearly see why they edited out the piece I'm transcribing in, it's muddled garbage.

"The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border and that is exactly what they are," Ocasio-Cortez said in an Instagram live stream on Monday evening. "They are concentration camps."

Then
And, um, if that doesnt bother you...I dont (insert helpless hand gesturing) I got noth, I like, dunno....I like.....we can have... okay, whatever....

then we pick up the next exact word for word quote in the article.

"I want to talk to the people that are concerned enough with humanity to say that we should not… that 'Never Again' means something," the 29-year-old New York representative said.

So, in summing up, you say short edits to indicate, that perhaps tehre was some missing link that makes it clear she;s NOT invoking the Nazi camps. you have all the words right here. Every singe sound she uttered. Show me, please, which words here make that not so?

this is like the oppiste of the Trump loves Neo-Nazis claim, where there is stuff left out where it's clear he also said that Nazis were bad. If there are words of hers I'm missing, show me.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ocasio-Cortez Says 'Concentration Camp' Comments Not About Holocaust, But Here's What She Said

Though Ocasio-Cortez insists that she did not use the term "concentration camps" to mean the same thing as the concentration camps from the Holocaust, she clearly referenced the horrific event in her original comments.

During her rant, Ocasio-Cortez specifically mentioned "Never Again," which is a direct reference to the Holocaust.

"I want to talk to the people that are concerned enough with humanity to say that we should not that ‘Never Again’ means something and that the fact that concentration camps are now an institutionalized practice in the home of the free is extraordinarily disturbing and we need to do something about it."

Ocasio-Cortez then appeared to make a distinction between the "internment camps" that Japanese Americans were forced into during World War II and the "concentration camps" of the immigrants.

Even Internment camps do not fit what is going on, at the Southern Border ...... Japanese were rounded up

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Problem With Ocasio-Cortez’s Shameful Ignorance Of History

Then again, maybe it’s because the comparison itself is a despicable smear of the American people. It’s true that we’re not prepared for the crush of refugees on the southern border (though, it should be noted that many Democrats contend any border is immoral). While there is a border, however, we ask migrants who show up to follow existing laws; ones that are subject to the democratic process and the court system. Sometimes we reacted ham-fistedly, even temporarily breaking up families who are transporting children without any oversight. Some migrants have been abused and some have died in our care. There is no excuse for it. Neither is sanctioned by the state.

If you believe any of this morally equivalent to carting away millions of people to crematoriums for execution because their faith, your moral compass is irreparably broken.

It should also be noted that the United States has more immigrants than any other country in the world. There are 40 million people living in the U.S. who were born in another country—accounting for about one-fifth of the world’s migrants in 2017. We could build a giant steel fence around the entire country, and the United States would still reign as the most welcoming place for foreigners that has ever existed.

Midnightrider

I sure did, and listened.

Here, the article quotes everything except the stupid histrionic handwaving that is supposed to express her disbelief that you could be so stuoid as to agree with here. Here's the full quote .Not an edit, exact word for word. I'll transcribe the bits they left out, even though they change the meaning in no way whatsoever. You can clearly see why they edited out the piece I'm transcribing in, it's muddled garbage.

Then

then we pick up the next exact word for word quote in the article.

So, in summing up, you say short edits to indicate, that perhaps tehre was some missing link that makes it clear she;s NOT invoking the Nazi camps. you have all the words right here. Every singe sound she uttered. Show me, please, which words here make that not so?

this is like the oppiste of the Trump loves Neo-Nazis claim, where there is stuff left out where it's clear he also said that Nazis were bad. If there are words of hers I'm missing, show me.
The part where she doesn’t mention Nazis, Jews, the holocaust but she does specifically mention Japanese interment camps. You know, the part you left out.

As you can see from slurpy’s article, she says she wasn’t talking about Nazi camps

glhs837

Power with Control
The part where she doesn’t mention Nazis, Jews, the holocaust but she does specifically mention Japanese interment camps. You know, the part you left out.

As you can see from slurpy’s article, she says she wasn’t talking about Nazi camps

Wow, you master of willful ignorance. Here's her disclaimer. Based on the below, bullsh$% on her claim. If she actually is so ignorant of the terms usage and the phrase Never Again", she should not use the tterm. In reality, she knew exactly what she was doing, and didnt expect to get called out. She lives in a larger fishbowl now, folks outside her echo chamber will fact check the sh%^ out of her. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

"And for the shrieking Republicans who don’t know the difference: concentration camps are not the same as death camps," Ocasio-Cortez claimed. "Concentration camps are considered by experts as 'the mass detention of civilians without trial.' And that’s exactly what this administration is doing."

Really, so now, after invoking "Never Again", which is a direct reference to the Holocaust, she wants to say "Oh, it's the modern definition". Bolding mine

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concentration camp

Mirriam Webster - "a place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard —used especially in reference to camps created by the Nazis in World War II for the internment and persecution of Jews and other prisoners"

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/concentration_camp

Oxford - "A place in which large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labour or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/concentration-camp

Dictionary.com - "a guarded compound for the detention or imprisonment of aliens, members of ethnicminorities, political opponents, etc., especially any of the camps established by the Nazis priorto and during World War II for the confinement and persecution of prisoners. "

Midnightrider

Wow, you master of willful ignorance. Here's her disclaimer. Based on the below, bullsh$% on her claim. If she actually is so ignorant of the terms usage and the phrase Never Again", she should not use the tterm. In reality, she knew exactly what she was doing, and didnt expect to get called out. She lives in a larger fishbowl now, folks outside her echo chamber will fact check the sh%^ out of her. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.

Really, so now, after invoking "Never Again", which is a direct reference to the Holocaust, she wants to say "Oh, it's the modern definition". Bolding mine

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concentration camp

Mirriam Webster - "a place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard —used especially in reference to camps created by the Nazis in World War II for the internment and persecution of Jews and other prisoners"

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/concentration_camp

Oxford - "A place in which large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labour or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/concentration-camp

Dictionary.com - "a guarded compound for the detention or imprisonment of aliens, members of ethnicminorities, political opponents, etc., especially any of the camps established by the Nazis priorto and during World War II for the confinement and persecution of prisoners. "
She is pretty ****ing stupid, I can buy that she didn’t understand that meaning for ‘never again’ in the sense of the holocaust.

That being said, all of those definitions are consistent in that they are not exclusive to Nazis.

glhs837

Power with Control
She is pretty ****ing stupid, I can buy that she didn’t understand that meaning for ‘never again’ in the sense of the holocaust.

That being said, all of those definitions are consistent in that they are not exclusive to Nazis.

Nope, but the terms "most strongly associated", "especially any of the", and "used especially in reference to" do sorta set a theme, eh? I am not buying it, she wants to have her cake and eat it to. She wants to dog whistle the Holocaust but not actually say it. Bullsh&. These camps suck. Yep, well, when you enter a country illegally, you gotta expect detention. And when you enter with about 10,000 other people, well, nobody maintains facilities to handle that many people. You join riots here in the US, your'e gonna get plasti-cuffs and a seat in a stadium for a day or two. BReak the system you get to deal with the chaos that a broken system means.

BOP

god damn you are a sucker for propaganda...…..

I hate AOC and I hate even more that you being stupid is causing me to defend her, but she didn't compare anything to Nazi concentration camps.
LEARN TO READ PAST THE HEADLINES
Hey, mister! If you're gonna be hatin' on my squeeze, AOC, go do it somewhere else. :smack:

Midnightrider

Nope, but the terms "most strongly associated", "especially any of the", and "used especially in reference to" do sorta set a theme, eh? I am not buying it, she wants to have her cake and eat it to. She wants to dog whistle the Holocaust but not actually say it. Bullsh&. These camps suck. Yep, well, when you enter a country illegally, you gotta expect detention. And when you enter with about 10,000 other people, well, nobody maintains facilities to handle that many people. You join riots here in the US, your'e gonna get plasti-cuffs and a seat in a stadium for a day or two. BReak the system you get to deal with the chaos that a broken system means.
Do you need a list of things she has said to prove that she is brain Dead?

And all those phrases mean the word is used for other things, like the Japanese interment camps.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
And for the shrieking Republicans who don’t know the difference: concentration camps are not the same as death camps," Ocasio-Cortez claimed. "Concentration camps are considered by experts as 'the mass detention of civilians without trial.' And that’s exactly what this administration is doing."
Is an invading force really a bunch of civilians?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And when you enter with about 10,000 other people, well, nobody maintains facilities to handle that many people.

True is WaPo NYT and others have said GIVE TRUMP THE MONEY HE WANTS ...
Dems continually :cds: border wall and obstruct

Hijinx

So what is her plan for the U.S. to do with these people who are invading us.?
If she doesn't like the current plan she must have one of her own.
I have an idea her plan is to ask them where they wish to go and then have us pay for a ticket there and money for food on the trip.