AOC: 'This is some real-life "Black Mirror" stuff'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"This is some real life Black Mirror stuff that we're seeing here," Ocasio-Cortez said during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on facial recognition technology.

Facial recognition is being developed by dozens of tech companies, including Microsoft and Amazon. When implemented, the AI-driven software makes it easy for corporations or governments to identify people and track their movements.

But as many critics have long argued, the potential for the technology to be abused is huge.

Wednesday's hearing included testimony from privacy advocates and industry representatives. Ocasio-Cortez brought up issues from privacy to discrimination, and cited studies that have shown facial recognition has a racial-bias problem. Other lawmakers raised red flags about the technology, too — committee chair Rep. Carolyn Maloney warned against its "questionable and even dangerous applications."

https://www.businessinsider.com/aoc-facial-recognition-similar-to-black-mirror-stuff-2020-1

BOP

First thing AOC has commented on that I find myself agreeing with.

--- End of line (MCP)
Ditto...mostly. She did have to throw the racial card out on the table. Which is interesting when you consider that the inception of gun control was all about keeping guns out of the hands of minorities; thereby making gun control inherently racist.

Leftists - if it weren't for double standards, they'd have none at all.

BOP

She sounds pretty coherent...a little redundant and pedantic at times, but almost like a grown-up. It's not just facial recognition, however, so it seems to me that the focus is a little too narrow. That's just my perception.

I did have the squishy face thing going on with the whole computer programs are just as racist as human beings underlying meme with the whole "black and brown people all look alike" thing she (perhaps unwittingly) had going on.