AP FACT CHECK: Trump's mythical view of presidents past

transporter

AP FACT CHECK: Trump's mythical view of presidents past
TRUMP: “In the ‘old days’ if you were President and you had a good economy, you were basically immune from criticism. Remember, ‘It’s the economy stupid.’ Today I have, as President, perhaps the greatest economy in history.”

THE FACTS: You can assume many previous presidents would beg to disagree.

Under President Bill Clinton, whose top campaign staffer James Carville coined the phrase “the economy, stupid” to underscore what the campaign should be about, the unemployment rate fell to 3.8% and the nation’s economy grew 4% or more for four straight years.

Yet Clinton was under independent counsel investigation for all but one year of his presidency, 1993. The House impeached him in December 1998, at the height of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, though the Senate acquitted him in February 1999. In January 1998, Hillary Clinton alleged a “vast right-wing conspiracy” to take down her husband, a widely mocked complaint about the relentless criticism the Clintons faced from the right (which extended to ridicule over the title of Hillary Clinton’s 1996 book, “It Takes a Village.”)

Under President Ronald Reagan, the economy expanded 3.5% or more for six years in a row, with growth rocketing to 7.2% in 1984. Yet Reagan was dogged in his second term by the Iran-Contra investigation, which focused on covert arm sales to Iran that financed aid to Nicaraguan rebels.

For the chuckleheads (like Giligan--who thinks the current 2% level of growth is somehow magnificently better than the 2% growth we had prior to Trump)..note the GDP numbers....4%+ for 4 straight years--not one f***ing quarter. 3.5% for six years and 7.2% in 1984. Trump promised 3%+++++...hasn't hit 3% yet....and not going to now.

HOGAN GIDLEY, White House deputy press secretary, when asked whether Trump believes an accurate census count isn’t necessary: “He wants to know who’s in this country. I think as a sovereign nation we have that right. It’s been a question that’s been on the census for decades.” — remarks to reporters.

THE FACTS: Not since 1950 has the census collected citizenship data from the whole population.

First off...WTF is a Hogan Gidley???

Second: heard this quote on the news earlier...figured it was horsesh!t. If it were true, then there wouldn't be a battle over the question now would there? But that is the Trump administration counting on their "Ivy League Lite" educated "base"!

TCROW

I mean Clinton was impeached right smack in the middle of the dotcom boom.

We should go easy on Trump though. It's not nice to pick on people with dementia.

BOP

Attachments

• Obama - Trump is my President.jpg
    Obama - Trump is my President.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 50