Aquarium Information

nyte-angel82

Hi, just wondering whats a good source of information for a saltwater newbie? i'd like to setup a tank with corals, etc in a saltwater tank. What size tank would i need? Any information would be helpful. If anyone has ideas, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!:bigwhoop:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Good luck. We have one. They are a TON of work. PM Desertrat and see if he wants to offload his.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
At least 55 gals to start, but I would buy a used set from craigslist or the classifieds. FW tanks are so much easier to take care of and African cichlids are almost colorful as some SW fish and a lot cheaper.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Hello Angel. Just a few "always" things to know. Always:
Get a large tank as "kom" said and make sure it is much wider than it is tall. Fish swim horizontally, not vertically. Those tanks that are 4' tall and 1' wide are torture to fish of any kind.
Make sure that the water is perfectly adjusted before ever putting in the fish. Wrong salinity or "PH" will hurt the fish.
Make sure the heater and the pump are powerful enough to do the job they're designed to do.
Make sure that the fish are compatible! Fish eat fish and some are VERY territorial. They will torment or even kill other fish that they feel are a threat to them.
Make sure that there aren't too many fish in the tank and allow for their growth.
Make sure YOU are ready for the maintenance work. A salt water aquarium is a BIG undertaking.
Keep kids away from the tank! They love to tap on the glass and throw things in it.
There are plenty of books and online helps available.
Hope this helps. :howdy:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
FW tanks are so much easier to take care of and African cichlids are almost colorful as some SW fish and a lot cheaper.

I had a SW tank when I lived in Hawaii at a beach house and maintaining it was still a PITA.

I've had Bluegills in a FW tank. Very pretty and they actually eat table scraps.
When they get nice and big, you eat them and start over :lol: