Archaeologists, scholars dispute Jesus documentary

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
CNN said:
JERUSALEM (AP) -- Archaeologists and clergymen in the Holy Land derided claims in a new documentary produced by the Oscar-winning director James Cameron that contradict major Christian tenets.

"The Lost Tomb of Christ," which the Discovery Channel will run on March 4, argues that 10 ancient ossuaries -- small caskets used to store bones -- discovered in a suburb of Jerusalem in 1980 may have contained the bones of Jesus and his family, according to a press release issued by the Discovery Channel.

I wanna see this even though....

Amos Kloner, the first archaeologist to examine the site, said the idea fails to hold up by archaeological standards but makes for profitable television.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/02/26/jesus.sburial.ap/index.html

I'm interested to see if they have the oppsoing views in the documentary or just drum it up for money.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bustem' Down said:
I wanna see this even though....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/02/26/jesus.sburial.ap/index.html

I'm interested to see if they have the oppsoing views in the documentary or just drum it up for money.
Figured it wouldn't be long to see the spin...

Hard to believe Jesus was just a normal human being, with a family wife and child.. Without the aid of the internet, the telegraph or even newspapers it would be easy to make believers of miracles out of an entire population.

Nucklesack said:
Dan Browne should write a book about that and turn it into a Movie .
oh wait :lmao:
Its odd that they discovered this tomb in 1980 and are just now figuring out what to claim it contains. I can see several years to study it, but why wait so long to make it public?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
desertrat said:
Its odd that they discovered this tomb in 1980 and are just now figuring out what to claim it contains. I can see several years to study it, but why wait so long to make it public?
The right time for.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Toxick

Splat
itsbob said:
Hard to believe Jesus was just a normal human being, with a family wife and child..

Not so hard.

I've never bought into the belief that the whole family was Jesus, Mary and Joseph alone and that was the end of the line. Jesus has a bunch of brothers and sisters - and I, personally, wouldn't deny good evidence that points to Jesus being married with children.

If God would come to earth and become a man, why wouldn't he run the gamut of human experience - and that includes having a wife and houseful of screeching booger-pickers.

itsbob said:
Without the aid of the internet, the telegraph or even newspapers it would be easy to make believers of miracles out of an entire population.

Maybe.

But it is kind of hard to gather 12 guys together and convince them that you're performing miracles while they watch - and convince them so thoroughly that they would not ever deny seeing them, even on pain of death.

That's a really tough trick to pull off.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
Not so hard.

Maybe.

But it is kind of hard to gather 12 guys together and convince them that you're performing miracles while they watch - and convince them so thoroughly that they would not ever deny seeing them, even on pain of death.

Nope, it's easy enough to write the story and get a bunch of people to believe it.

Very similar to the people on the East Coast believing the tales from the old West. You write a story based on fact, but inflate the numbers, throw in a miracle or two, and wallah, you have an entire population believing a fictional story is true.. now take it back another thousand years, no telegreaph, no modern printing presses, or books.. and what do you think you can get people to believe? And how inflated are the facts after the story has been told a thousand times before someone decides to write it down?

Toxick

Splat
itsbob said:
Nope, it's easy enough to write the story and get a bunch of people to believe it.

Very similar to the people on the East Coast believing the tales from the old West. You write a story based on fact, but inflate the numbers, throw in a miracle or two, and wallah, you have an entire population believing a fictional story is true.. now take it back another thousand years, no telegreaph, no modern printing presses, or books.. and what do you think you can get people to believe? And how inflated are the facts after the story has been told a thousand times before someone decides to write it down?

Not one thing you just wrote addresses anything that I said.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
Not one thing you just wrote addresses anything that I said.
OK, how about this.. I had twelve people over at my house this weekend, and they saw me perform a miracle. I brought a whole aquarium full of dead fish back to life.

Toxick

Splat
itsbob said:
OK, how about this.. I had twelve people over at my house this weekend, and they saw me perform a miracle. I brought a whole aquarium full of dead fish back to life.

Would they stick to that story?

Even if I were to interrogate them to their deaths?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
Would they stick to that story?

Even if I were to interrogate them to their deaths?
How would you interrogate them.. they don't have internet access, nor phone, and they live 2000 miles away.

But wait, this just in from Portland Oregon..

One of the witnesses has been interrogated, and passed a lie detector test.. it's TRUE!!!

All hail ME!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
This is old news dug up just in time for Easter...

Wake me when they find Waldo. :yawn:

Toxick

Splat
itsbob said:
How would you interrogate them.. they don't have internet access, nor phone, and they live 2000 miles away.

But wait, this just in from Portland Oregon..

One of the witnesses has been interrogated, and passed a lie detector test.. it's TRUE!!!

All hail ME!!

I see.
I thought you wanted a real discussion.

Sorry about that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
I see.
I thought you wanted a real discussion.

Sorry about that.
This is real..

Think back 2000 years or so.. and see if the situation I just described can't be true.

You being a normal person in the population have no way to disprove what you hear/ read. No comission has the manpower or the resources to prove what is said. You can't fly to the scene of the miracle to prove it, and if you did send someone to prove it, it would take weeks if not months to get there, and by the time you get there everyone actually involved in said miracle are long gone. You can't disprove it so it must be true.

How much of the population in 01 AD knew how to read and write? The illiterate are easy to persuade as to what is fact and what is not. How are they going to prove it either way?

Same things happened in our West. As the stories filtered back to the East, the stories were told, they were inflated and by the time a reader got the story in the paper or in a book back here it was purely a work of fiction. By the time anyone from here could get there to investigate there was nothing left to investigate, so the story HAD to be true.

Of course people in Biblical times lived to be 450 - 600 years old, so I guess they had time to tool around the desert to actually investigate these miracles. And they probably saved time by riding the brontosauras from site to site..

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Sounds like it's probably a hoax. But if true, maybe this film would lead to Christianity focusing on Jesus' teachings, instead of focusing on the Resurrection. If someone finds merit and inspiration in the Sermon on the Mount, what difference should it make whether Jesus was mortal or divine?

itsbob said:
Very similar to the people on the East Coast believing the tales from the old West.

Valid point, but there was more to the Old West image than just the inadequacies of 19th-century communication. I suspect the rise of urbanization and the disappearance of the "frontier" led Americans to romanticize the Old West as a time of freedom and independence. All cultures seem to crave identity myths, which explains Washington Irving's fantasy stories about George Washington and the Pilgrim mythology that arose in the late 19th century.

That leads into Christian mythology this way - I've noticed that Christianity's critics claim that the religion borrowed much from other religions. I think that criticism misses the point. Joseph Campbell said that certain themes show up again and again as religions, to satisfy certain emotional and psychological needs or to adress universal ideas about the human condition. With that in mind, I can easily imagine the early Christians embellishing the details of Jesus' life without conscious intent.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Toxick said:

Happens all the time. 3rd world countries are rife with witch doctors performing miracles. Hell it happens HERE all the time...

Jim Jones talked how many people into drinking the Koolaid?
Dianetics?
Hale Bopp comet?

You can convince people of anything. People are GULLIBLE.