Are deputies in St. Mary's really underpaid?

black dog

Free America
PREMO Member
Right, but most of those "dangerous jobs" the workers get injured by accidents or their own foolishness. They don't routinely encounter people who are trying to hurt or kill them.

Here are the most dangerous jobs in America:
  1. Logging workers.
  2. Fishers and fishing related workers.
  3. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers.
  4. Roofers.
  5. Recycling and trash collectors.
  6. Iron and steel workers.
  7. Truck and sales drivers.
  8. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural workers.
  9. First-line supervisors of construction trades/extraction workers.
  10. Grounds maintenance workers.
Logging industry is the most dangerous job out there, with a high incident rate because people don't pay attention to what they're doing. And even someone who's on the ball, they're relying on the dipshit on their team - one screw up and everyone gets hurt.

Outside sales is considered a dangerous job because they're on the road and get into car accidents.

Let's get real: do you really consider advertising sales a "dangerous job"? Yet transportation accidents make up 40% of workplace fatalities, and advertising sales is absolutely in that mix.

Cops have people actively trying to injure or kill them. The only reason they're not in the top tier of job related death is because they know it's dangerous and they take precautions. Nobody is shooting at the freaking garbage guy (who I love and respect, don't get me wrong) or the guy who works for the Parks Dept. They get injured by their own or someone else's carelessness.

Every cop I know has been intentionally attacked and injured by some dirt bag. Even a former "Officer Friendly" got his ass kicked by a bunch of thugs on what should have been a routine no problem call. Yet I did outside sales for years without incident. And my profession made the "dangerous" cut, while theirs didn't. Go figure.
Or you can start a business that teaches LEO's to get the mental health help and better driving skills so half of the yearly deaths stop happening at Their Own Hand.

What does that cost the taxpayer???

Its not like we have a problem with fisherman and skilled trades jumping off the ship in the Baltic sea or jumping off the 30 story building they are erecting.
When one signs a contract without fully understanding that contract and what it entails, dont cry about it on the evening news, suck it up buttercup, if ones not happy with there career choice, find a new one.....
About half of my guys and myself have been working second shift in a canning factory the last few weeks, ever been in a canning factory?????
Its insane how much equipment is running high speed that easily crush,cook,burn or chop off a workers limb or life...
Its normal business with trades like this..... Nobodys crying here.......

black dog

Free America
PREMO Member
It's amazing that so many people can't seem to drive from point A to point B without smashing into someone or something else, but there it is. "Pay attention" is underrated advice - nobody pays attention to you when you tell them.
Specially driving while talking on the phone while using a laptop and trying to keep the coffee from spilling......Oh and all while driving well over the speed limit.
Like Fireman, more die on the way to the fire than at the fire......Hummmmmmmm, how would we correct that????

we were understaffed back in the late 80's & 90's. many times we pulled
double shifts and were the only patrol officer in the county (patrol5)

MiddleGround

As I read the original post, that is the average salary with overtime included. According to the sheriff's website it's $47.6K to start.
And the major complaint is that they are losing jobs to Charles County that starts at $50K. Somehow, I don't see the additional $200/month as the reason they are leaving. Even if they are commuting that extra $200 would be burned up in gas money (unless they get the take-home car benefit)

I'm betting on advancement opportunities being better in Charles.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
we were understaffed back in the late 80's & 90's. many times we pulled
double shifts and were the only patrol officer in the county (patrol5)
We kept things quiet and low key down in 7D back in the 80s. Never needed any deputies down thatta way..

:whistle:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Vernon Gray, in a letter to the Enterprise newspapers clarifies some of the issues:
One must take Vernon Gray with a grain of salt. If he had his way, we'd be teaching our kids in one room log cabins and we'd have Andy and Barney patrolling the entire county.

The figures he posted include overtime. That's not a good indicator of what the actual salaries are.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A cop bud told me that domestics are the worst. Guy smacking his bitch up, cops get called, melee ensues....
Asked a deputy a couple weeks ago about something we witnessed in the parking lot. They had a guy handcuffed on the ground; surrounded by several deputies. He said subject was suicidal and they have to use extreme caution since they don't know if the person has a death by cop wish or wishes to take others with him; including the cops. I mentioned the scanner is on 24/7 in my home and I don't know how they (deputies) do it every day. He said it's the stuff they don't broadcast over the radio that would really scare me.

black dog

Free America
PREMO Member
We kept things quiet and low key down in 7D back in the 80s. Never needed any deputies down thatta way..

My understanding parts of it are still a self cleaning oven....
When i went to Quades i brought a local boy cop with me.....

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron

With 2 of them, Ernie and Don, living in the same "neighborhood" as us, we always made sure we kept good mufflers on our minibikes and go karts. :lmao:

General Lee

And the major complaint is that they are losing jobs to Charles County that starts at $50K. Somehow, I don't see the additional $200/month as the reason they are leaving. Even if they are commuting that extra $200 would be burned up in gas money (unless they get the take-home car benefit)

I'm betting on advancement opportunities being better in Charles.
No, Charles County offers more money to laterals, based on experience and training and yes there is more opportunities for advancement. For an example of the pay difference, a friend explained to me that a Corporal in Charles County makes what a Lieutenant/Captain make in St. Mary's.

MiddleGround

No, Charles County offers more money to laterals, based on experience and training and yes there is more opportunities for advancement. For an example of the pay difference, a friend explained to me that a Corporal in Charles County makes what a Lieutenant/Captain make in St. Mary's.
Would you mind linking to that info? Every place I have looked stated that SMC starts at $47.5K and Charles starts at $50K (average)

I would be interested in knowing the exact numbers in PRINT instead of he said/she said.

General Lee

Would you mind linking to that info? Every place I have looked stated that SMC starts at $47.5K and Charles starts at $50K (average)

I would be interested in knowing the exact numbers in PRINT instead of he said/she said.
You may be correct on the "starting" salaries. I do not know what agencies offer to officers that are already certified. My understanding is pay can be negotiated. A 10 year veteran jumping ship to Charles is not going to start out at 50K.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Does he work for you?

I find it it's not easy to compare compensation packages because (a) you are going to get ranges (reported as average) and (b) there is more to compensation than just base salary.

I will only say, you get what you pay for. If you want the top people, then you have to compete to recruit them.
"Hometown Discount" only goes so far. Eventually people are going to want a promotion, more pay, better opportunities, etc.
If you can't offer those things, people are going to look else where - keeping those who are content is almost like saying mediocre is good enough.

Over time pay is great, when you are young and single, but as people get older and have a family they don't want to rely on that OT to make ends meet. Not to mention the burn out from working too many hours. Is PTO equal or higher else where? What other incentives to other departments offer?

MiddleGround

You may be correct on the "starting" salaries. I do not know what agencies offer to officers that are already certified. My understanding is pay can be negotiated. A 10 year veteran jumping ship to Charles is not going to start out at 50K.
I'm just saying it would be nice to see the breakdown. Of course, I would expect that a 10 year veteran in SMC is making more than the "average salary" as well. It would be nice to see a pay schedule to know the exact differences in pay between SMC and Charles as experience and promotions move up.

BernieP

Resident PIA
When cops try to patrol traffic they catch hell from bitchy speeders and reckless drivers who think they should be out cracking down on "real crime".
I will self identify as a bitchy speeder, I've received a few tickets in my long time driving, not not enough to warrant losing my license, having to go to driving school or other penalty. I may average one every 5 or more years and mostly because of a situation - like being forced out of a lane by incoming traffic and having to get back over to exit (what do you do, you pass the MF'rs) Well not if Smokey is in the area.
Normally I drive with traffic, I'm not out to prove I'm the fastest car on the road, but I don't like moving slow either.

But that's neither here nor there. I think the emphasis on "speed" enforcement is more monetary than safety. There is a difference between fast and reckless. I can drive fast and not be reckless. Unfortunately "reckless" can be subjective, while speeding is quantitative. Just like distracted driving being confined to cell phone use.

I saw another post you made. Life is full of hazards, they range in frequency and loss. Most of us live in the low loss. When you have hazards you try to mitigate your exposure. LE doesn't get that option. Icy road, they can't stay in. Active shooter, unless they are in Broward County they are running towards the shooter, not away.