Are deputies in St. Mary's really underpaid?

Clem72

I'm not sure I understand that post.

Anyway, people always want to bitch about cops and the military - "Oh, they're overpaid! Oh, they get all these perks! Oh, they're thugs who think they can get away with anything!" Usually the bitchers would never dream of joining the military or becoming a cop because it's not lucrative or glamorous, yet they think they should get top notch talent in these fields on the cheap.

But I already had a big rant about this topic this morning, so I'm tapped out. Carry on....

The post doesn't really help shed light on if they are overpaid or not. How about salaries that don't include overtime (since presumably they will do less overtime if they are fully staffed), or at least include the average number of overtime hours. Also, what percentage of the workforce is in each category? Is it 80% Deputies? Or 80% Corporals?

From a casual glance it doesn't look like they are overpaid, and the fact that so many would be willing to move or commute to another location to work means that they are likely not paid the prevailing wage for surrounding areas.

But Maryland is weird about which critical services should be paid. If EMS and Fire is volunteer, why not Police? Is it any harder to train and certify a police officer than an EMS person? (this is just a half-joking question).

officeguy

I'm just saying it would be nice to see the breakdown. Of course, I would expect that a 10 year veteran in SMC is making more than the "average salary" as well. It would be nice to see a pay schedule to know the exact differences in pay between SMC and Charles as experience and promotions move up.
Agreed. Without the actual tables to include longevity and specialty rates, averages are meaningless.
  • What's the average/median tenure at agency A vs. agency B ?
  • What are the overtime and travel policies ? (e.g. are you allowed to take vacation on the day of a scheduled court appearance so you can collect callback pay for playing candy-crush in the courthouse).
Even at the published rates, it doesn't look like a half bad gig. Most of the kids who hire on have a few credit hours at the community college, no degree required . Even if you make it only to DFC or corporal you are going to collect six figures in your 20s. 25 years to the pension and you are in your mid 40s and financially secure.

officeguy

But Maryland is weird about which critical services should be paid. If EMS and Fire is volunteer, why not Police? Is it any harder to train and certify a police officer than an EMS person? (this is just a half-joking question).
It is. Sheriffs deputy is a 26wk academy. To become an EMT is 250hrs of evening and weekend classes.

To become a full up career FF/EMT takes longer. Probably about 600hrs coursework between firefighter I / II, EMT, hazmat-ops, vehicle extrication, water rescue etc.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
we were understaffed back in the late 80's & 90's. many times we pulled
double shifts and were the only patrol officer in the county (patrol5)
Those were awful days. PD's everywhere were not hiring but now with Justice Reinvestment, they just stick the bad peeps back on the street in minutes.

Frankly, I cannot imagine why anyone would go into law enforcement now. Charles County is the absolute butt hole of Tri-County.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Those were awful days. PD's everywhere were not hiring but now with Justice Reinvestment, they just stick the bad peeps back on the street in minutes.

Frankly, I cannot imagine why anyone would go into law enforcement now. Charles County is the absolute butt hole of Tri-County.
:howdy:

littlelady

God bless the USA

There you are! It has been a long time since you posted. Hope you are doing well. :)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It is. Sheriffs deputy is a 26wk academy. To become an EMT is 250hrs of evening and weekend classes.

To become a full up career FF/EMT takes longer. Probably about 600hrs coursework between firefighter I / II, EMT, hazmat-ops, vehicle extrication, water rescue etc.
:yay:
My son is with the PGFD as a Career FF/EMS. He attended their academty for 6 months - training for FF I/I and he is an EMS (not EMT) He has to re-certify every year for EMS, and there is continuing education for the FD, as well. He also takes training in Calvert County as a volunteer FF

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought I was going to have to get password assistance. I tried a couple different ones before I remembered what it is.

I am a bit surprised I am up this late and yes, I am doing well. Thank you for asking.
Glad you're back - we could use more sane voices on here. :love:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Contact the Sheriff and ask if you can spend a week at the academy (deputies spend 6 months) and then do a ride-along on a weekend evening and night. Put your butt on the front line and experience what they go through on a daily basis.
And I wonder how much of that six months of "training" is dedicated to Constitutional Law, specifically the Bill of Rights? Or, are they just taught on how to circumvent individual rights? Using such tactics, as tricking people, instilling fear, taunting, terrorizing, frightening, intimidating, creating anxiety, all in an effort to have people stressed into giving up their rights under duress?

officeguy

If I may ...

And I wonder how much of that six months of "training" is dedicated to Constitutional Law, specifically the Bill of Rights? Or, are they just taught on how to circumvent individual rights? Using such tactics, as tricking people, instilling fear, taunting, terrorizing, frightening, intimidating, creating anxiety, all in an effort to have people stressed into giving up their rights under duress?
No, those are Evans storm-troopers over in Calvert.

mdff21

:yay:
My son is with the PGFD as a Career FF/EMS. He attended their academty for 6 months - training for FF I/I and he is an EMS (not EMT) He has to re-certify every year for EMS, and there is continuing education for the FD, as well. He also takes training in Calvert County as a volunteer FF
What is an EMS in PGFD. EMS elsewhere is a division of the department and you are either an EMT or Paramedic. He is probably a FF/EMT

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
What is an EMS in PGFD. EMS elsewhere is a division of the department and you are either an EMT or Paramedic. He is probably a FF/EMT
Yes, I knew that! - sorry...I miss-typed. I MEANT he is an EMT (specifically, FF/EMT) Didn't refer to it correctly.

officeguy

There is also emergency medical responder or 'EMR'. It's what used to be called 'advanced first aid' or 'first responder'. While MIEMS licenses them, they are not terribly common in MD. Its designed for places where fire or police is the first responder but waits for a (usually commercial) transport ambulance to provide a higher level of care.

OldHillcrestGuy

Like what?

It's pretty simple: either match the Charles County pay/hours, or see a reduction in the veteran police force. Why would any cop work in SMC when they can get a better deal right up the road?

Being a cop sucks, especially when they're not getting support from the local government. Either make it worth their while or learn to do without. Then SMC can be like the big city where you can call 911 all day long and nobody will respond to your emergency because there's no one to respond. Or maybe go with a volunteer police force - wouldn't that be fun?
They are underpaid compared to other counties and I know first hand about the veteran cops leaving for other forces. Alot of times they can do a lateral transfer and their retirement and benefits can go with.