Are deputies in St. Mary's really underpaid?

BernieP

Resident PIA
So I thought about the question again.

As the saying goes, you can't compare apples and oranges. The true test and the answer to the question is the ability of the Sheriff's Department to recruit and retain highly qualified, quality, individuals.

You can spin wheels debating who is worth what, the merits of working in location A or B. But at the end of the day it's the ability of the agency to recruit and retain people.

From years (cough, just a few) of working in both the private and public sectors, money speaks louder than words.
People want to get paid, altruism does not feed or house people, it does not pay for medical care.
All other arguments are pointless, you can debate risk, hours, all the other factors you can think of, they really don't matter.
What matters is being able to attract (recruit) and then retain those people who you want in your organization.

Not saying they shouldn't do exit interviews and try to correct complaints. Atmosphere can have a detrimental impact, but in most cases you will find that's second compared to compensation.

OldHillcrestGuy

There is also emergency medical responder or 'EMR'. It's what used to be called 'advanced first aid' or 'first responder'. While MIEMS licenses them, they are not terribly common in MD. Its designed for places where fire or police is the first responder but waits for a (usually commercial) transport ambulance to provide a higher level of care.
Im one of them EMR. There are a few of us in SoMd. We are mostly the old farts that volunteer at several of the volunteer stations. For the most part we are drivers. Many of the volunteer stations want their drivers to also have some EMS training when they go out on calls and at least my station , 2 EMR's are not allowed to pull the ambulance unless we also have a EMT with us or will meet one on the scene.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
So I thought about the question again.

As the saying goes, you can't compare apples and oranges. The true test and the answer to the question is the ability of the Sheriff's Department to recruit and retain highly qualified, quality, individuals.

You can spin wheels debating who is worth what, the merits of working in location A or B. But at the end of the day it's the ability of the agency to recruit and retain people.

From years (cough, just a few) of working in both the private and public sectors, money speaks louder than words.
People want to get paid, altruism does not feed or house people, it does not pay for medical care.
All other arguments are pointless, you can debate risk, hours, all the other factors you can think of, they really don't matter.
What matters is being able to attract (recruit) and then retain those people who you want in your organization.

Not saying they shouldn't do exit interviews and try to correct complaints. Atmosphere can have a detrimental impact, but in most cases you will find that's second compared to compensation.
Hey, it's for the children. Oh wait, that's a different group of employees people bitch about. Never mind.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Hey, it's for the children. Oh wait, that's a different group of employees people bitch about. Never mind.
Same rule applies. I will say I think SMCPS is structured much like major corporations, the top tier is compensated way more than the work force, I'd say excessively more compared to the teachers.

Will99

So I read through each of these posts on here and I wanted to reply giving what my experience is being a law enforcement officer in St. Mary’s County is like. Before I do, I want to say that the plea for this raise is about fairness. There was a time when deputies had pay parity with the Maryland State Police. There were years that went by that deputies were not given a pay raise, although county employees and teachers did get a raise. Deputies didn’t get a raise and the reason cited was due to pay parity with MSP.
The board of County commissioners changed and deputies were told that a prior board was not beholden to the commitment of pay parity and therefore we were not going to get raises when MSP did. This was prior to the present board.
In looking at salaries, I think it’s important to note that a Lieutenant with the sheriff’s office makes just a few hundred dollars more than a non-supervisor trooper at MSP. This was not the case when these deputies came onto this job 15 or 20 years ago. They were paid the same. The disparity came when different commissioners were voted in and chose not to honor prior commitments.
One of the first comments that caught my eye was there was a less risk of life in St. Mary’s than there is in Charles County. I would hope there would be no risk to law enforcement officers but I’ll talk about my own experiences. I have been intentionally hit with a motor vehicle while trying to make an arrest. I have been shot at where the bullet lodged about one foot above where my head was located. I have been assaulted too many times to count and I have been spit on. My family has been threatened on more than one occasion by people who have committed violent crimes. I have had to respond on more than a few occasions to homicide events in the middle of the night where horrific things have been done to other people, and had the responsibility to bring a successful resolution to those cases which I did each time. I handled more sex crimes against children and woman than any one person should, with a closure and conviction rate which is well above industry standards. I am not an exceptional officer and my experiences are not all that extraordinary. There are several deputies who could provide similar facts about their experiences. I like working here because there is a standard of excellence which has been instilled upon the officers who work here since shortly after I started my career. Because of that standard, most of the citizens respect and appreciate law enforcement.
Some people have talked about us not doing traffic enforcement on Rt. 235. When I was reading this, I looked up the stats for the day and it appears we stopped 32 cars on 235 from the hours of 0700 to 1400 which is the time I read this. We don’t know what we don’t know, so it is hard to tell what crime has been suppressed by our deputies efforts; but suffice it to say that crime rates are lower in St. Mary’s County and our investigation section has a higher closure rate than neighboring counties. I would also add that our courts also sentence people to more severe sentences than other counties do which helps keep crime, especially violent crime rates down.
So to David’s assertion that it is minimally skilled labor, I also would take exception to that statement. The hiring process for deputy sheriff, really any law enforcement officer is rigid. The Maryland Police Commission Standards for hiring deputies are high and the process is selective. Once hired, many of those officers can’t meet the physical demands for passing the six month police academy. I will give you that officers only need a high school education to get hired, but there are very few without other experience that do. Most of the St. Mary’s County Deputies either have their college degree or have military experience. This is not an entry level job.
I would agree with People’s elbow that 55K is good starting pay. Unfortunately we start at 47k. Our starting pay is not what the deputies are hoping to change. It’s the pay that after you spend years bettering yourself by either promotion or obtaining specialized fields ie; accident re-constructionist, polygraph examiner, detective, or an emergency services team officer. It’s so you don’t take those skills and move onto another agency to get a better position or higher pay. There is no specialty pay for these positions and all are collateral or extra duties the deputies are required to do.
In the end this is about fairness. Deputies were denied pay raises while others were getting them due to pay parity and now it is time to pay the piper.
I love my adopted community which is why in my off time I have dedicated myself to making it better by volunteerism and helping out those who are worse off than me. My post here isn’t a poor pitiful me post, it’s to set the record straight with factual information from someone who has been there.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So I read through each of these posts on here and I wanted to reply giving what my experience is being a law enforcement officer in St. Mary’s County is like. Before I do, I want to say that the plea for this raise is about fairness. There was a time when deputies had pay parity with the Maryland State Police. There were years that went by that deputies were not given a pay raise, although county employees and teachers did get a raise. Deputies didn’t get a raise and the reason cited was due to pay parity with MSP.
The board of County commissioners changed and deputies were told that a prior board was not beholden to the commitment of pay parity and therefore we were not going to get raises when MSP did. This was prior to the present board.
In looking at salaries, I think it’s important to note that a Lieutenant with the sheriff’s office makes just a few hundred dollars more than a non-supervisor trooper at MSP. This was not the case when these deputies came onto this job 15 or 20 years ago. They were paid the same. The disparity came when different commissioners were voted in and chose not to honor prior commitments.
One of the first comments that caught my eye was there was a less risk of life in St. Mary’s than there is in Charles County. I would hope there would be no risk to law enforcement officers but I’ll talk about my own experiences. I have been intentionally hit with a motor vehicle while trying to make an arrest. I have been shot at where the bullet lodged about one foot above where my head was located. I have been assaulted too many times to count and I have been spit on. My family has been threatened on more than one occasion by people who have committed violent crimes. I have had to respond on more than a few occasions to homicide events in the middle of the night where horrific things have been done to other people, and had the responsibility to bring a successful resolution to those cases which I did each time. I handled more sex crimes against children and woman than any one person should, with a closure and conviction rate which is well above industry standards. I am not an exceptional officer and my experiences are not all that extraordinary. There are several deputies who could provide similar facts about their experiences. I like working here because there is a standard of excellence which has been instilled upon the officers who work here since shortly after I started my career. Because of that standard, most of the citizens respect and appreciate law enforcement.
Some people have talked about us not doing traffic enforcement on Rt. 235. When I was reading this, I looked up the stats for the day and it appears we stopped 32 cars on 235 from the hours of 0700 to 1400 which is the time I read this. We don’t know what we don’t know, so it is hard to tell what crime has been suppressed by our deputies efforts; but suffice it to say that crime rates are lower in St. Mary’s County and our investigation section has a higher closure rate than neighboring counties. I would also add that our courts also sentence people to more severe sentences than other counties do which helps keep crime, especially violent crime rates down.
So to David’s assertion that it is minimally skilled labor, I also would take exception to that statement. The hiring process for deputy sheriff, really any law enforcement officer is rigid. The Maryland Police Commission Standards for hiring deputies are high and the process is selective. Once hired, many of those officers can’t meet the physical demands for passing the six month police academy. I will give you that officers only need a high school education to get hired, but there are very few without other experience that do. Most of the St. Mary’s County Deputies either have their college degree or have military experience. This is not an entry level job.
I would agree with People’s elbow that 55K is good starting pay. Unfortunately we start at 47k. Our starting pay is not what the deputies are hoping to change. It’s the pay that after you spend years bettering yourself by either promotion or obtaining specialized fields ie; accident re-constructionist, polygraph examiner, detective, or an emergency services team officer. It’s so you don’t take those skills and move onto another agency to get a better position or higher pay. There is no specialty pay for these positions and all are collateral or extra duties the deputies are required to do.
In the end this is about fairness. Deputies were denied pay raises while others were getting them due to pay parity and now it is time to pay the piper.
I love my adopted community which is why in my off time I have dedicated myself to making it better by volunteerism and helping out those who are worse off than me. My post here isn’t a poor pitiful me post, it’s to set the record straight with factual information from someone who has been there.

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your thoughts. I hope some will learn from what you have said. Too many times, people pass judgement without having a clue. My cousin was a COP up in Fairfax. I heard too many accounts of what COPS go through. So, again, thank you for posting and thank you for doing what you do.

Will99

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your thoughts. I hope some will learn from what you have said. Too many times, people pass judgement without having a clue. My cousin was a COP up in Fairfax. I heard too many accounts of what COPS go through. So, again, thank you for posting and thank you for doing what you do.
Thank you. I knew law enforcement was going to be a tough job at times, but I also felt the reward outweighed the risk. I was right. I want this place to maintain it's standard of excellence and continue to recruit the best people. They are only going to be able to do that if people feel they are being treated fairly.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Oh please. Cry me a river. And what is this pay parity BS? (Yeah, I know what it is. Rhetorical). Everyone wants to be paid what ever other one is paid. Well? Tough sh*t. Different cost of livings in different areas of the State will mean different pay levels. Oh, just a minute, let me run to my private employer, and ask him if I can have a raise to what the fella in a similar job classification is being paid in Montgomery County for the same job. He'd laugh his ass off and tell me if I wanted to be paid that amount I should go and apply for a job in Montgomery County.

So let's see. You get to take a county vehicle home. You're saving money on gas and your personal vehicle's wear and tear. It's really not "work" in the truest sense. Mostly sitting around all day in a car. Kinda doing what fly's do. Waiting for sh*t to happen. Basically, the job is a glorified security guard. I wonder? How many times did you, have you, during your employment, breach your oath and violate someone's Constitutional rights to get an arrest. Or, to pull someone over simply because you, "suspected", something, without any proof whatsoever?

Quit yer bitch'in. No one forced you to get a job with the Sheriff's Office, nor, did anyone force you into staying rather than seeking a different line of work. Just because it's a County job, does not mean you, and others of similar mind, get to try and extort from the taxpayer, a higher standard of living than those paying the taxes. It is not time to "pay the piper". How about being thankful you have a job and just live within your means?

Also, understand this. Regular people are no different than you. Civilians also spend years bettering themselves in hopes of promotions. Taking specialized field classes within their industry. Taking continuing education classes to stay current with ever changing technologies and methods. You? Are not special.

It's also funny that if you, or your family, are threatened, it's supposed to be taken seriously. And yet, when a civilian is threatened, and makes a report? Yeah.

And it is an entry level job if a person with a high school diploma, at the required minimum age, can be hired after going through a six month class.

Happy to hear you love your adopted community. Kudos to the volunteerism. :sarcasm:

Reactions: TPD

General Lee

If I may ...

Oh please. Cry me a river. And what is this pay parity BS? (Yeah, I know what it is. Rhetorical). Everyone wants to be paid what ever other one is paid. Well? Tough sh*t. Different cost of livings in different areas of the State will mean different pay levels. Oh, just a minute, let me run to my private employer, and ask him if I can have a raise to what the fella in a similar job classification is being paid in Montgomery County for the same job. He'd laugh his ass off and tell me if I wanted to be paid that amount I should go and apply for a job in Montgomery County.

So let's see. You get to take a county vehicle home. You're saving money on gas and your personal vehicle's wear and tear. It's really not "work" in the truest sense. Mostly sitting around all day in a car. Kinda doing what fly's do. Waiting for sh*t to happen. Basically, the job is a glorified security guard. I wonder? How many times did you, have you, during your employment, breach your oath and violate someone's Constitutional rights to get an arrest. Or, to pull someone over simply because you, "suspected", something, without any proof whatsoever?

Quit yer bitch'in. No one forced you to get a job with the Sheriff's Office, nor, did anyone force you into staying rather than seeking a different line of work. Just because it's a County job, does not mean you, and others of similar mind, get to try and extort from the taxpayer, a higher standard of living than those paying the taxes. It is not time to "pay the piper". How about being thankful you have a job and just live within your means?

Also, understand this. Regular people are no different than you. Civilians also spend years bettering themselves in hopes of promotions. Taking specialized field classes within their industry. Taking continuing education classes to stay current with ever changing technologies and methods. You? Are not special.

It's also funny that if you, or your family, are threatened, it's supposed to be taken seriously. And yet, when a civilian is threatened, and makes a report? Yeah.

And it is an entry level job if a person with a high school diploma, at the required minimum age, can be hired after going through a six month class.

Happy to hear you love your adopted community. Kudos to the volunteerism. :sarcasm:
If I may...

Typed by a true dick who probably wanted to be a cop but just couldn't cut it.

mdff21

If I may ...

You probably sit back in your chair at your desk trying to figure out what you will have for lunch at noon. The LEO's have to find a time during their shift to get something to eat, some often taking it with them to a call. Sure they have some down time during their shift, as do you during your workday. However, when a call goes out they don't know what they will find upon arrival. Yes, you can call it a "six month class" I challenge you to spend ONE WEEK at the academy and really see how they train. LEO's see the carnage of fights, shootings, and other horrendous actions of other people that you only see bits and pieces of in the news. Try spending an hour at the scene of a fatal accident and then having to go tell the family that a loved one died. Unless you have walked in their shoes and seen the things they have and listen to a mother crying over her loss, I would suggest that you suck it up and thank them for the job they do everyday, 24/7/365. In closing, how many of your co-workers have died at work this year (2020) The law enforcement community has lost 10 officers this year and we haven't finished a month yet.

officeguy

So I read through each of these posts on here and I wanted to reply giving what my experience is being a law enforcement officer in St. Mary’s County is like. Before I do, I want to say that the plea for this raise is about fairness. There was a time when deputies had pay parity with the Maryland State Police. ......
Thanks for your reply.

There is no reason why deputies should have pay parity with the state police. A trooper can be assigned to work anywhere around the state, including the high cost of living locations. Also, MSP has to recruit statewide and needs to be competitive with the higher paying county agencies. An outlying county like St Marys or Washington doesn't have the same competition.

Oh, and me disagreeing with pay parity doesn't mean I dont appreciate the job you do.

Last edited:

Will99

If I may ...

I appreciate your thoughts, however I disagree.

Will99

Thanks for your reply.

There is no reason why deputies should have pay parity with the state police. A trooper can be assigned to work anywhere around the state, including the high cost of living locations. Also, MSP has to recruit statewide and needs to be competitive with the higher paying county agencies. An outlying county like St Marys or Washington doesn't have the same competition.

Oh, and me disagreeing with pay parity doesn't mean I dont appreciate the job you do.
Thank you for your comments, but I would say that our competition for applicants is greater and more competitive than those areas you speak of. We are losing qualified, trained individuals to Prince George's, and Charles County. The cost of living in St. Mary's County is comparable to those jurisdictions.

OldHillcrestGuy

Thank you for your comments, but I would say that our competition for applicants is greater and more competitive than those areas you speak of. We are losing qualified, trained individuals to Prince George's, and Charles County. The cost of living in St. Mary's County is comparable to those jurisdictions.
Behind you 100%, Im a parent of 2 LEO's in SoMd. I do know what they go through everyday when they go to work. It doesn't matter whether its St. Mary's or PG. theres just as many worthless people who don't care about life and would pull the trigger in a heartbeat here in the tri-county area.. A young female officer 24yrs old with a 2 yr. old child died in the line of duty in Newport News Va. just a couple of days ago on a routine traffic stop. She was dragged down the road and then the suspect slammed into a tree. She was between the door and the tree.

PeoplesElbow

I appreciate your thoughts on this, I do think if you become an expert on something (I had no idea there was such a thing for cops) that you should get more pay.

I wish St Marys had "beat cops" on foot in the GMR area. I simply cannot fathom how we allow so many pan handlers, prostitutes, and clearly high people to roam and bother normal people.

I am not from here, when I moved here I thought I moved into a crime riddled area compared where I moved from